Hondo's Bar

the scanner darkly

Not exactly sure whether to put this here or in the animated section, because of how the animation is done so i'll let someone else decide, but i was reading a review for this and it seems and looks astonishing (i say that and it has keanu reeves), but here are a few trailers for it

and the synopsis according to about entertainment

"A Scanner Darkly" is set in suburban Orange County, California in a future where America has lost the war on drugs. When one reluctant undercover cop is ordered to start spying on his friends, he is launched on a paranoid journey into the absurd, where identities and loyalties are impossible to decode. It is a cautionary tale of drug use based on the novel by Philip K. Dick and his own experiences.

Like a graphic novel come to life, "A Scanner Darkly" will use live action photography overlaid with an advanced animation process (interpolated rotoscoping) to create a haunting, highly stylized vision of the future. The technology, first employed in Richard Linklater’s 2001 film "Waking Life," has evolved to produce even more emotional impact and detail.

While I have some misgivings about the style, the film itself does look pretty interesting. If you're curious you can watch, swear to god, the first 24 minutes of the film here. It's down for maintenance right now but it should be back soon, all you'll have to do to watch it is verify your age.

Looks like it's only playing at Aventura and the Beach in Dade country right now. If anyone is down to watch it Wednesday night or anytime I'm Thursday, I'm going to see it some time aroudn there, so if you're free, we can do it any of these times:

Wednesday: 7:50 , 10:30 or Thursday 12:25, 3:00, 5:25, 7:50, 10:30.

Holler if you're down for this.

So I saw this one Thursday night. Pretty good. I wasn't really blown away though. There was a good portion of the time I felt the rotoscopign was unnecesary adn distracting, btu then again, the scrambler suits whould have looked stupid and rediculous in live action. Also, thought bubbles of imagining a waitress strip while she's telling you the lunch specials would ahve been pretty silly too.

All and all, good little puzzle movie. The twist isn't earth-shattering, but it's good. Also the Robert Downy Jr character is great.

• 2 weeks later...
So I saw this one Thursday night. Pretty good. I wasn't really blown away though. There was a good portion of the time I felt the rotoscopign was unnecesary adn distracting, btu then again, the scrambler suits whould have looked stupid and rediculous in live action. Also, thought bubbles of imagining a waitress strip while she's telling you the lunch specials would ahve been pretty silly too.

All and all, good little puzzle movie. The twist isn't earth-shattering, but it's good. Also the Robert Downy Jr character is great.

I agree with everything here except that this film DID blow me away. RDJs character was excellent. The stoner type rants he goes on with are so quotable. The overblown conspiracy theories they comeout with are reason enough to watch it (18 speed bike anyone?). While the film is quite funny it does delve into something very serious and relevant.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• 2 weeks later...

Waking life tops it. Easily.

Even though they're in different leagues. I agree with Jax, the rotoscope effect was really uncalled for a few times, And the whole stoner thing really started to piss me off after a while. I suppose it was a pretty alright film though, and the twist wasn't absolutely massive.

After a couple weeks of thinking about the movie, I've found that I really enjoyed the movie as a whole. There were parts that made you think, there were parts that were just funny (18 speeds...heh).

I don't know why really, I just dug the movie.

Archived