Hondo's Bar

Horror games

FireDownBelow

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? you played the Silent Hill series, right? Fatal Frame 2 is some scary shit here & there too, ill review more when i get further in.

That's right, i have The Thing on my queve too, on baytor's say-so, hopin for good things from that one as well.

played through em all, and fatal frame (original one), but nah, nothing really phases me after the year or so of emotional trauma that followed resident evil 2...

alien vs predator made me jump a bit, but that was mostly due to the fact that was in my insomnia days and theres nothing worse than being up at 5 am, 8 cups of coffee inside you, and being a predator, and knowing that in about 3 seconds you're gonna get mauled by a few aliens.... not so much scary as it is an impending sense of "ooooh fuck"

System Shock 2 is fucking freaky. It just is. I'm playing it again right now, and man it fucks with you, never before in an FPS have I felt so damn ALONE before. That and cyborg midwives are damned unsettling.

Silent Hill 2 was the best of that series BTW. God damn that game stuck with you afterwards. Creepy fucking shit.

• 1 year later...

yeah, its funny: credit always goes where its due (quietly) to Alone in the Dark for being the console horror game before RE did it better, but ive never played a single game of the series somehow. This next one, despite delays, i was hyped early on 'cause of the element of messing with common phobias that the devs talked about, but im not sure that element's still present.

Still, if youre down for it, it looks like its getting an amazing Limited Edition release.

aitdce.jpg

I don't know it's hard for me to choose between the primitively blockly but still fucking terrifying Alone in the Dark and Dr. Dodgy Camera Angles and Bad Voice Acting himself, Resident Evil. In my mind Alone in the Dark did more with less, I see it more as a precursor to Silent Hill than Resident Evil though, myself.

yeah, its funny: credit always goes where its due (quietly) to Alone in the Dark for being the console horror game before RE did it better, but ive never played a single game of the series somehow. This next one, despite delays, i was hyped early on 'cause of the element of messing with common phobias that the devs talked about, but im not sure that element's still present.

Still, if youre down for it, it looks like its getting an amazing Limited Edition release.

aitdce.jpg

Guess you didn't read this part did you *Shakes fist*

Atari today announced details of the European Limited Edition of the highly anticipated action adventure game Alone in the Dark, scheduled for simultaneous launch with the game across Europe in June for Xbox 360, Wii and PC.

i dont see how you take the "wait, is that one of those green stalker fucks?! i can only see an inch past my fucking gun, mebbe if i took this corner i could OH CHRIST THAT WAS MY HEAD" and in-game classics like the master of unlocking things and come up with the word "dodgy", sir.

Really though, never played it so you might be right about it being in the vein of SH more. You looking forward to this next one? anyone know if theyre still doing things with claustrophobia/heights/animal bites and the shit they talked about last year?

newt - oh, i read it, but we both know it goes: Japan, US, EU, Oz as far as being shat on. when's the last time EU got something cool we didnt? MGS integral? im assuming itll make it over.

i dont see how you take the "wait, is that one of those green stalker fucks?! i can only see an inch past my fucking gun, mebbe if i took this corner i could OH CHRIST THAT WAS MY HEAD" and in-game classics like the master of unlocking things and come up with the word "dodgy", sir.

Really though, never played it so you might be right about it being in the vein of SH more. You looking forward to this next one? anyone know if theyre still doing things with claustrophobia/heights/animal bites and the shit they talked about last year?

Well I guess aside from.......................................................The dialogue.............and the fact that was like someone turned the camera..... around backwards.... on a...first person shooter. It was okay, but hey those dogs were fucking creepy, right? :eh:

I'm kinda excited by Alone in the Dark, but much like Clock Tower it's hurt me before. And I just keep going back to it like the battered little Survival Horror bitch I am.

We're getting something alright.

Pre-Order Alone in the Dark and receive an Alone in the Dark T-shirt Free! Supplies are limited. T-shirt will be shipped with the game.
Good call.

You feeling alright Baytor? You tend to be full of hate just about all the time.

You feeling alright Baytor? You tend to be full of hate just about all the time.

Highly exaggerated. I hate a lot of things but I love a lot of things too. There's a reason I have an entire shelf full of games, course I mean compared to you I have jack shit, but I pick the gems out of the overflowing sea of mediocrity (except Rygar, still don't know what the fuck I was thinking there)

Rygar? Good god man are you alright?

It was just after I'd discovered the pure nirvana of Beyond Good and Evil. And I said to myself "You know what, I'ma march down to Gamestop and I'ma start getting some games that didn't sell as well. I'm gonna tear that $7.00 bin up."

I remembered reading about Rygar when it was first coming out and after I played God of War I went "You know this kinda reminds me of what that Rygar game looked like" and while my other purchase of Okage: Shadow King was a good buy, I realized the err of my ways. All of my games I love, even the more mediocre ones (Lupin the 3rd: Treasure of the Sorcerer King, Celebrity Deathmatch, The Punisher, and Rampage Total Destruction) I can find something to love in, but Rygar is pure unfiltered suck.

Oh well at least I have Giants Citizen Kabuto, Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, and Okami. I have my game snob games so I can still hold my pinky out and pretend to be better than everyone else (that and the fact that I'm a PC gamer)

newt - oh, i read it, but we both know it goes: Japan, US, EU, Oz as far as being shat on. when's the last time EU got something cool we didnt? MGS integral? im assuming itll make it over.

That's what you think, D-bag

Gotta love that Irony, no? I'm mulling over it. Can anyone tell me if it's worthwhile?

that's an "aww, snap"? he uses a word i taught him, and points to a game that (potentially) neither of us are looking to buy? the bar for snaps is set low in the midwest.

oh, and skeets - you might wanna do like i do and wait to see if the reviews are at least decent, collectively; i got high hopes here but again, past installments of this series havent done well, and its only a few more months after it makes it out till Silent Hill 5, you know?

ps newt, if oz is getting it, its a done deal. we got pics from skeet's wedding before they did, for crying out loud.

that's an "aww, snap"? he uses a word i taught him, and points to a game that (potentially) neither of us are looking to buy? the bar for snaps is set low in the midwest.

oh, and skeets - you might wanna do like i do and wait to see if the reviews are at least decent, collectively; i got high hopes here but again, past installments of this series havent done well, and its only a few more months after it makes it out till Silent Hill 5, you know?

ps newt, if oz is getting it, its a done deal. we got pics from skeet's wedding before they did, for crying out loud.

:eh: Gotta steal my thunder...

• 1 year later...

gameplay from Ju-On: The Grudge, for Wii:

looks good, right? yeah. that and Fatal Frame 4 look to not be coming here at all...how is the wii getting such solid horror titles, but not localized? here's hoping that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories goes well.

Archived