Hondo's Bar

Preacher

Newtype

He's not even that. He's so inconsistent that you never know what his motivations will be from one episode to the next (which could be considered terrible, I guess). Maybe there's some method to the madness and this shit is by design, but this definitely AIN'T Preacher. It feels more like a weird story with a Preacher skin on it. Or a fan-fic where the "fans" had only read the Cliffnotes.

I'm still watching out of pure morbid curiosity at this point (and my girl is interested). Admittedly, shit hasn't gotten so egregious that I throw my hands up and sceam "DONE!"

... yet.

• Upvote 1

I think it is by design, Jesse didn't really have much of a plan in the comics, he just kind of bounced around coming up with big ideas that usually just got people hurt or killed and he was always a liability to anyone he knew.  They're letting his ego get the best of him repeatedly and building a nice tower of hubris for him to fall from once the story reaches its War in the Sun moment.

you're prolly right there, but yeah, i still can't resolve him sending eugene to hell and doing nothing about it, just felt like a betrayal of his character (even if he is an asshole).  

comic jesse, though...like, i thought ennis danced around him being a dick sometimes (by trying to keep his code/etc) but then you get that one special about him & tulip back in the day and he's just entirely shitty there 

We'll based on the information he has, what could Jesse be doing about Eugene?  He doesn't know you can literally get to He'll on a shuttle bus, he thinks that God has to let him out.

Yeah I'm surprised there aren't a ton of essays about Jesse Custer in the comics, it's literally about a guy quiting his role as a sissy boy (The Duke literally calls him a "faggot") and regaining his toxic white trash masculinity, and then he's rewarded for it at the end because he does a sappy romantic thing for his cardboard-standup-of-a-feminist girlfriend.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally trying this again. In S2. The thing that really made me forget about the differences was the fight set to Uptown Girl. That was fun.

Random thoughts:

-The hell stuff is way more interesting than I thought it would be. And following Eugene himself instead of just a ghost of him is a smart move

-Jesse is a gigantic prick here. But alot more complex than in the book I'm starting to realize. This'll be good in the long run.

-Though I'm not big on his reasoning for just going to become a preacher. 

-Cassidy is still great.

All in all it's not bad! Just different and that's ok.

Jesse's a Feminist. Partly. He's even read the texts as he tells his mother. Obviously not your standard Feminist, but he has a go, incorporating the man he is, he's had a varied upbringing. As his father instructs, he has to be one of the good guys. He's not a man not an angel, but compared to the too many of the bad, the Villains are always those that use their power to serve their vanity or for personal gain, and/ or those who take pleasure from others without ever seeking to return it. 

That's referring to the comics version, the real Jesse. The version from the show, I don't know who he is, which was appealing for a bit, but I wish if it was going to depart from the source material, it would have kept going in it's own direction, or at least keep going whatever it does. I assumed after the first series, it was going to unhook it's characters and have them go on a proper road trip. So far it seems that we're getting one major location per series, and that seems less for narrative reasons as for keeping set budgets down. We shouldn't be spending this long in Angelville, once he's got what he needed from that place every fibre of his body should be set on getting the hell out of there or burning it to the fucking ground. 

The series works better for me, the further it gets from the source material, I'm not sure if that material is genuinely better, or if I can just better appraise it on its own merits. But trying to bring in the whole supporting cast, or at least their bizarro TV versions and trying to have moments of tension while still maintaining a series long status quo, the plots tying itself in knots that I can't be bothered untangling. 

• Like 1
  • Really Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jont said:

The series works better for me, the further it gets from the source material, I'm not sure if that material is genuinely better, or if I can just better appraise it on its own merits. But trying to bring in the whole supporting cast, or at least their bizarro TV versions and trying to have moments of tension while still maintaining a series long status quo, the plots tying itself in knots that I can't be bothered untangling. 

i think this right here is what's bothering me - again, really enjoying this season more than the last (so far), but the extra time with grandma, tulip, TC & jody about - i know we're building their characters here, but it's taking away from their vileness & the urgency to destroy them & get far, far away (as jesse's spent most of his life doing).  we're balancing plot points - the grail is now busy, jesse lacks the rest of his soul for the voice (still haven't fully come around on the souls business here, but i guess it's working) - for reasons why that is, but i do feel something's being lost in the slapstick & such, since i always took until the end of the world as one of the book's darker stories.  

really gonna see how they tie it up before whining too much, though. 

:lush: I know I'm late on the pick up here but I love that the 'theme song' captures like no comic to TV adaption ever has,  the point of a cover. 

It's such an vital part of the comic experience and Fabry & Ennis' collaboration on those covers saw every character get their moment, and I think the show translates that perfectly. 

Opener/late season 3 spoilers

special shout out to that salvation red herring,  I waited all season for sheriff Jesse to get a fucking dream sequence.  Duke cameo was perfect though

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jables said:

Opener/late season 3 spoilers

Hide contents

special shout out to that salvation red herring,  I waited all season for sheriff Jesse to get a fucking dream sequence.  Duke cameo was perfect though

yeah, this short bit was a highlight for me too - saving it for that traumatic situation was a good call 

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, it really grew into its own. they're clearly still trying to nail the larger moments, but even the soul business that'd been throwing me off before was something they made work here. 

easily the most enjoyable season, and I'm down for the next after that finale. herr starr still steals a lotta scenes.