Hondo's Bar

Preacher

Newtype

HBO is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series, Preacher, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Mark Steven Johnson (upcoming Ghost Rider, Daredevil) is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink.

Preacher, which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The series was created by Irish-born writer Garth Ennis and British artist Steve Dillon, who will serve as co-executive producers. Ken F. Levin, who represents the duo, also will serve as co-executive producer.

Sweet.

2T, i called it. i should get a bottle out of this deal or something.

Holding the cursed Preacher film script in my hands since 2001, ive echoed over at Preacher's numerous times that this is viably the only way my favorite series can get justice.

LL, Jax, you both need to get on this one before it starts. :cheers:

Motherfucker....always tryna take advantage of my good nature and willingness to get everybody drunk.

I hope they don't fuck this one up. I've been waiting for this bad boy for so fucking long. 66 epiosdes would be the best, but that really is wishful thinking.

Fuck this IC - we need to celebrate. Any news on the armadillos? I mean we've already fucked our way through most of the petting zoo....

Pleasant suprise, but these days I'm not getting excited until I see footage.

This has been what a lot of fans were hoping for though. I think Garth Ennis went on record to say it wasn't happening, but I guess he changed his mind/ was lying.

I'm hoping for live action.

Is it too soon to start casting calls?

Clancy Brown as the Saint?

clancy.jpg

Not the most grizzled picture in the world, but damn does he look dreamy.

Dunno, Preacher's kind of a good guy, right? Not sure that Clancy Brown can play a good guy (not saying anything like he's a crappy actor, or something like that, just that the world would implode or something).

Comic spoilers

No the Saint was kind of a villain... sort of, I don't know what the hell you'd classify him as but I'll lean more towards villain.  That is perfect casting though, he'd play an awesome Saint.  Too bad Chris Penn is dead, he would have done a great job of playing that one Eunich guy who shot the fuck out of Cassidy with that old timey rifle.

Edited by alive she cried
Added Comic spoilers

Comic spoilers

I always felt that the saint of killers was more of the ultimate victim of God's abuse in the books... an everyman in a sense or at least a man embodying all the virtues of self determination being turned into a force of nature by a manipulative God, to have his free-will stripped away and to be turned into God's tool... um...

And Clancy Brown can definately play the tragic badass

Added Comic spoilers

I always felt that the saint of killers was more of the ultimate victim of God's abuse in the books... an everyman in a sense or at least a man embodying all the virtues of self determination being turned into a force of nature by a manipulative God, to have his free-will stripped away and to be turned into God's tool... um...

And Clancy Brown can definately play the tragic badass

Well when you put it that way, have you seen Carnivale? :devil:

Is Carnivale still going? Being a Nick Stahl and Brown fan, I always wanted to see that, but we don't get it in Guyana.

If carnivale is still going then Brown's out simply from scheduling, isn't he?

ANyways, the major casting decision needs to be addressed... WHo plays Arseface?

Comic spoilers

Also, won't this 'last scion' thing with the retard descendant of the blood be kinda stale after all the exposure The DaVinci Cunt has given to the idea of a secret church group hiding the heir to Christ?

Added Comic spoilers

Yeah, sadly carnivaleuserbar.jpg got canceled after two seasons and never got to wrap up the story (though I've heard the last episode has at least a little bit of closure to it) so Clancy Brown might be free. He's a pretty good choice.

Comic spoilers

As for the last scion bit, it's a fairly small part of the story in the grand scheme of things, and it's played a completely different way from The Da Vinci Code. A lot of people probably wouldn't even make the connection.

Added Comic spoilers

Comic spoilers

yeah, but I'm thinking that Starr gets his launch through the last scion plot and it is the first major arc of the story so the success of the enture series could rest on how people react to it.

Added Comic spoilers

Comic spoilers

No the Saint was kind of a villain... sort of, I don't know what the hell you'd classify him as but I'll lean more towards villain. That is perfect casting though, he'd play an awesome Saint. Too bad Chris Penn is dead, he would have done a great job of playing that one Eunich guy who shot the fuck out of Cassidy with that old timey rifle.

Chris(Reservoir Dogs) Penn is DEAD?! When the hell did that happen?

Added Comic spoilers