Hondo's Bar

Preacher

Newtype

Johnson: Preacher I have always wanted to do. Preacher is like, you know, it’s the greatest but it’s so difficult. And I love it more than anybody and I remember reading a script a while ago it was gonna go to film and I was like, oh, how do you make a two-hour movie from Preacher? You can’t do it. So, when I went into HBO I said very simply, here’s the comic, there’s seventy-five issues plus the four-issue Saint of Killers, every issue in an hour. It’s a six-year show. And HBO, God bless them, went, cool!

IESB: So are you staying pretty loyal to the whole storyline?

Johnson: No, not loyal, exact. So it’s like, we had our first meeting the other day, I kept waiting for them to go, we’re not doing this! (laughing) It’s like, I want Odin Quincannon having sex with a meat person. (laughing) If I can do that, I’ve made my mark on the world. Everything is just like so out there, this is it. They’re like, fuckin’ HBO’s got balls, they were like, yeah bring it! Do it!

Johnson goes on to say that he’d like to have guest directors, such as Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez. “I want it to be a prestige thing, you love Preacher? Come do a show,” he says. “Usually it’s a guest actor, I want it to be guest director.”

Oh man...if they are as loyal to the series as MTV was to the Maxx....

MSJ has it completly right. I'm so psyched he's on this project now. Take Daredevil for example. Not the best theatrical release and then the director's cut comes out and is supurb (the music still sucked though :misty: ) - with a big studio behind him trying to make a movie with the broadest appeal he seems to flake but HBO, God bless 'em do what the fuck they want.

A Rodriguez episode would be the best.

Well, as deep as the Preacher books are, I'm still seeing one hour per book as a stretch, if he means EXACTLY that.

Now if he means, it's gonna average out to an hour a book, then I'd agree. Some issues won't fill out an hour. The whole grandma storyline would fill out a lot more hours than it did issues, though, I think.

Edited by Jumbie

I dunno, hour an issue seems feasible to me. And...perfect. That's exactly how I've been hoping a Preacher series would be, just go through the comic from start to finish just as it is. He's even talking about doing the Saint stories, damn.

And yeah, if you're a Daredevil fan who was disappointed by the movie, pick up the director's cut. It's not drastically different but it adds a whole new subplot and fills in a lot of the holes that were in the theatrical release. The biggest effect that it has is it makes DD's goal more about bringing the Kingpin down, than about getting revenge for his girlfriend. In the theatrical version, he kinda stumbles on the Kingpin in the last 15 minutes or so, in the director's cut he was after him all along. Also it has more Foggy, and more Foggy is always a good thing.

Anyway, Johnson disappointed me for not pushing harder on a Daredevil 2 (or fighting the studio harder on which version of the movie to put out, though I guess that's what happens when you make a superhero movie for a big studio) and for deciding to do - yuck - Ghostrider, but if this pans out the way he wants it to, the guy's gonna be a fuckin' saint to me. Maybe even a saint of killers.

Edited by Silent Bob

:eh: ok, 2T's johnson qoute changed everything for me.

This could be done, and done right. I long for a complete 66+ epidose DVD collection with actors ive yet to learn but will adore at that point.

Im with SB: this is how itd be done right. The script is there already in the trades.

Comic spoilers

Yeah that's the part that really has me hyped for this project. For any other director the Saint story would be the very first thing to hit the cutting room floor. Not only is it completely separate to the main story, but frankly it's a story that's near impossible to film (the devil whips the skin off a man's body in the depths of hell? that's gonna be very hard to put on-screen). But Johnson specifically mentioned the Saint story as something he plans to do - that...that's dedication.

Edited by alive she cried
Added Comic spoilers

Jokes aside

Why must you aside our jokes? Our brilliant brilliant jokes...and for what? To buffoonishly state your hype for a quote we all ALREADY knew you'd be hyped about? Oh yes, I was reading 2track quotes and was really wondering if Nick would be hyped or instead highly distressed in regards to them! Hmm, I shiver in anticipation to this outcoming revelation! Well congratulations! Our jokes about the Lucky Charms voice guy and Kareem Abdul-Jabar playing Cassidy have been successfully asided for your predictable praise. Thanks alot, Nick. Thanks alot...for nothing!

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts