Hondo's Bar

Next gen: 360 vs PS3?

The NZA

Next gen systems  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Damned right. We live in an age of tech-fucking-nology, Doj. Sure you may have harnessed the mana-powered ability to own & enjoy an Xbox 360 three full calendar months before you actually go through the hollow gestures of putting one in your lounge & doing what most do like, setting up a user account, but the rest of us have limited space in our loungerooms, gamesrooms, or what-have-you and don't want to clutter it up with three versions of something that really should just be handled the once. Everyone made a huge dealy about the 360 & it's bc issues but do you hear a pip of that now? And the fucking thing's sold in excess of 10 million or someshit(who knows things like this? Scientists?). Fuck off aways back to your fucking mushroom kingdom until lunchtime, it's way too early for your bullshit.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Losifer that, since my ps2 is HDLoaded with 30+ unfinished games, its not like im tossing it out the window.

however, i do think backwards compaitbility is a big issue - i should have the last 3 generations of ps's and nintendo's (or x box's) all hooked into one TV cause they cant fucking bother to keep the library going? This is one of the things Sony boasted about since before the PS2, buliding a library of thousands of titles, and i for one thought it a great idea, since im inclined to play PS1 games occassinally and dont see why i should seek down a ten year old console to do it, when my current verion oughta be more than apt at doing so, and sharper, at that. This is even worse for ps3 since ps2 is still getting solid titles like God of War 2, and will be for the remainder of the year it seems. its one thing to package a fucking HD system with standard AV cables out of the box, its another to basically regulate this system to be a blu-ray player until more gams come out. Kotaku recently tested 10 of the biggest ps2 titles on the ps3 euro, and only one worked with their software emulation technique...that's no good.

Anyway, after some research, im more or less decided on getting a ps3 later this year. October says MGS4 which i agree is doubtful, but at least by then, ill have a few titles im intersted in. One way or another, im going to need one before '08.

Well, it's official. With income tax money coming in this week, we will be getting the 360 first. Not that I'm gonna play much of it. Javi is the one that has like 8 games lined up to buy. :wacko:

I'm gonna see if I can get away with getting the Wii now also. Sucks cause I bought Twilight Princess for the Cube not thinking I would be able to get the Wii so soon. The PS3 I know I'm gonna wait a while for that one. I don't expect that one for a year or so.

fuck skeet im just saying, its annoying that the people who are complaining about the ps3 not being backwards compatible are the same people who have ps2's... if people i knew who didnt have ps2's complained, all well and good, it would match my similar complaint to the 360 given i dont have an xbox... but seeing as the people ive heard complain about it have a ps2 in the first place, it has given me the nature of my little mini rant

Anyway, after some research, im more or less decided on getting a ps3 later this year. October says MGS4 which i agree is doubtful, but at least by then, ill have a few titles im intersted in. One way or another, im going to need one before '08.

I'd still say for this year, you're prolly gonna enjoy the 360 more, PS3 is looking like slim pickings until 2008, at that point, with a decent price drop, then maybe. I doubt MGS4 by year end, but who knows.

You guys act like i intend to buy all 3 systems, when i clearly dont.

and i agree with bish, its why i said i prolly wont get one until later this year...if one fell in my lap right now, what would i get? Ultimate Alliance, again? But by Q3/4 there's a few things id be down for. Anyway, the point in holding off was to decide on one, not go with both! that's crazytalk.

Kotaku recently tested 10 of the biggest ps2 titles on the ps3 euro, and only one worked with their software emulation technique...that's no good.

Just on that Point Nick, PS3 Euro hasn't even been officially released over here, and the system they have doesn't have the most up to date Firmware. Sony are meant to be launching new firmware on Euro Launch day 23rd March which will remedy a lot of that, and as i previously said the continuos firmware updates will eventually increase the list of games the PS3 with be Backwards compatible with.

Also the point re it being a glorifed Bluray player, its half the price of a standalone bluray player at the moment, which makes sense for any AV enthusiast to take the plunge with PS3 cos they'd get gaming built in too. Though Sony are rumored to be releasing a $600 BR Player.

Bish is right 2007 is going to be a slow enough year for PS3, but if they drop MGS4 in Q4 there will be one hell of a scramble for it.

I always said i'd love a ps3, over an x360, though i was briefly tempted by x360 as was seen on here, i've decided to hold off for the time being, and then in the summer i may take the plunge and buy one.

Well, Fabruary sales are out and Nintendo is selling gangbusters, 335,000 Wiis. MS came in second in the current gen war with 219,000 and PS3 got spanked hardcore at 129,000.

That is friggen painful on sony's part, apparently even with their sales in Japan this month they weren't able to beat out 360's american sales. It speaks to their brand though that I STILL think they will do alright, but it's getting harder to justify that argument as time goes on. IF this trend continues Sony is basically an also ran in the US.

Found this on youtube, kinda funny:

Well, if you're a hardcore gamer, I think that all three may be a necessity, though I am always up for excuses to not get a PS3 at its current price ($600, plus I just don't see a major price drop coming until 2008.

To me, that's silly. I mean you, you got a gamer roomate so its feesible, but an individual buying all 3 is a bit much.

My mentality is this: if i get a PS3 by, say, October, there's a chance Ill be able to play Metal Gear Soild 4 release day (i agree the release date's not set in stone, but ill be optimistic here). Also, by then, i can check out The Darkness, Stranglehold, possibly Army of Two if that goes well, and likely online demos for FF XIII and LittleBigPlanet, and that's aside from whatever PS1 games their online network has, hopefully offering better ones by then.

It also leaves me in a good place for Q4 & 2008, where im expecting White Knight Story, 100 Bullets, Assasin's Creed, Alone in the Dark 5, Resident Evil 5, Golden Axe, Heavenly Sword, Tekken 6, Way of the Samurai 3, etc. Granted, i know a number of those are ports, but you see my point.

Given that im only of the means to ride one pony, i gotta do it by genre/expected games. Blue Dragon looks good, Lost Oddysey could be good, id have to see more. Neither hold the same amount that White Knight Story and FF XIII do.

Many games id be interested in are getting ported; one exception is Alan Wake, a title that, having seen damn near nothing on, im still pretty excited about (im a closet whore for good survival horror), but if RE5 is on both (with rumors of Silent Hill 5 on ps3), i gotta go with the system with MGS, which basically fills in all other gaps. Anyway, you see my point.

Kotaku has a fun page showing love for all 3 next-gen systems, and highlighting the best of what's to come on them. Its a fun collage, if you just mute the nu-metal. What was that 2nd game shown on the 360 one, the horror-looking one, anyway? Also, on the opening part of the Wii one, those're Elebits, if youre wondering.

Y'know it pains me to say, but sony's marketing and lack of bad news dictate my views have softened toward the ps3 and i'm starting to come around. I promised alana no more unrealistic demands until after the wedding though.

To me, that's silly. I mean you, you got a gamer roomate so its feesible, but an individual buying all 3 is a bit much.

Once the systems are down to a more affordable price I don't find it that silly at all.

As for the other stuff, I see where you are coming from, I guess. Though to be fair we haven't seen shit else on WKS, or some of those others (has there been an announcement of Way of the Samurai 3?, closest thing to that was a game on 360 that doubt is coming over here.)

Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey have me psyched (as I hear BD is awesome), as does Fable 2 and Mass Effect on the RPG side.

Over the next few months the 360 has a just plain sick lineup:

April (Guitar Hero 2)

May (Forza 2)

June (Shadowrun)

July (Mass Effect, Project Sylpheed)

August (Blue Dragon)

September (Halo 3)

Ooctober (GTA IV)

November (Too Human?)

December (Lost Odyssey)

With the exception of GTA IV and GH2 those are all first party releases. VF5, Assasin's Creed, The Darkness, Stranglehold, Tenchu, Eternal Sonata, Command and Conquer 3, Bioshock, Earth Defense Force X, will be coming during that time as well. Not all of those are exclusive either. So in 2008 we have Alan Wake, Fable 2, GoW2 (maybe), Cry-On, Kingdom Under Fire, RE5, Alan Wake, Conan, Infinite Undiscovery and more. And that's just the new shit.

I just think that the 360 has a much stronger lineup in the immediate future, by 2008 or later when the PS3 games that I care about are coming out then hopefully the prices on Sony's Blu-ray player will be down to something more reasonable, so I'm dropping $299 or so to play WKS, MGS, or FF13.

its subjective, but having all 3 consoles always strikes me as a bit much. I still got a PS2, dreamcast, SNES, etc hooked up - its a nice TV bish, but this whore only has so many orificies.

and again, i swing a PS3 before october (and i might, if LL's boyfriend finds any falling off of trucks again) its uh, Fight Night 3 and Darkness till midsummer, i acknowledge the slump...ill feel it on my wii too, just more time to catch up on the massive amount of ps2 games im sitting on, if anything.

Are you seriously expecting the drop to hit $300? really? i was hoping for the japanese price of $100 less...im assuming you now refer to the low-end 20GB model, yes?

I meant by late 2008, early 2009. Not expecting that much of a drop anytime soon. I mean hell, hte 3d0 started at $799, and was at about $299 a few years later. If sales don't start popping for Sony soon, they would HAVE to drop the prices. Then again, it could be a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

BTW your TV has more than enough space for all three of the new boys, it has 2 HDMI slots, a PC slot, component inputs, and a bunch of composite ones too (the DC is on S-video), so don't go sayin it's because of your TV of all things. I mean hell, in a couple of years the 360 will probably be down to $199 territory with a HD, and that's not even counting an eBAY purchase. Remember, also if you get a PS3, you can unhook the PS2. That's one of the nice things about it no?

It just seems that one cuts themselves out of some amazing games in limiting themselves. And if the idea of 3 consoles makes you feel like captialist swine, just don't count the Wii, it's not a real console anyways :wolvy: .

Nick- seriously man, Fight Night's the most fun if you have someone to play with, like all of us on the 360...

And have you not heard of an AV splitter? It's essential for any console nut who doesn't have his shit hooked into a hi-def tv.

YOUR MOTHER'S NOT A REAL CONSOLE

Alright, youre comparing the PS3 to the 3D0, i know youre not on sony's junk this round either but that's harsh. Anyway, im not ruling out all 3 necessarily, but youre right, itd be way, way down the line unless a roomie gets it, i just dont go for all 3 as a rule, its been a few generations now and i dont feel ive honeslty missed too much.

@ the TV...yeah, id go HDMI with the PS3, but all the AV ports are used, and yeah, DC is on S-vid. You saw how well the VGA worked out for it. Incidentally, im fairly sure my vid card has a TV out or whatever, what do i need to run from my comp to the TV to watch my bootleg shit on it?

Also, the PS2 doesnt get replaced for a while; neveryoumind the Snake Eater skin, that HDLoader isnt quickly replaced...one day, tho.

But yeah, by like '09? jesus, anything could happen. Ill be uh, 30 by then... :wolvy:

and Skeets: thanks for reminding me, i gotta take my splitter-box-thing back to Toys R Us this week and hope for an exchange for uh, anyting else. No man should buy a HD system and lose quality, it aint worth it.

Your Mom's a real console though, everyone has played a little something on her.

Nah, I wasn't saying that the PS3 is the next 3D0, just saying that a big price drop in a year or two wouldn't be unheard of, especially if they are still facing strong competition from MS and Nintendo. Maybe not the 60 gig one, but the 20 gig? $299 is optimistic, but not overly so, I mena by half way through next gen they will need to be moving PS3s into homes at a very fast rate, and that isn't gonna happen at $600 bones. Remember the PS2 didn't REALLY take off until its first price drop.

As for your other Qs, well you can run your PC to the VGA port, which would give you the best signal, or do the TV out to the Svideo, those are pretty much your options, the Blurry signal may have just been because it was a shitty VGA box that you were running on the DC.

And Skeet's right, playing with your hondonians online is the shit.

thats funny, cause your mother's more like the NES, you have to blow on her, and uh, double up for the same feeling, or soomething

ok, so i just tell raido shack i need like uh, 20-30' of just network cord, or wha? I hope the subtitles dont go all funky with the resolution change.

and yeah, i imagine its cool playing with ya'll, kinda dummed down my Ultimate Alliance experience...but at least we can all share a demonic villiage in Animal Crossing, and by mebbe the middle of next year, who knows, ya'll could have PS3s or 360s could be falling off of trucks, again anything can happen.

Well, your mom's the master system, yeah she has an extra slot to use, and yeah it's kinda fun but the whole time you're with her you wish you had a real console.

Well, get either a really long VGA cable with a switcher, or more realistically, move that fucker out to the TV when you plan to use it for TV viewing purposes. BTW, don't forget the sound cable this time.

Archived