Hondo's Bar

Next gen: 360 vs PS3?

The NZA

Next gen systems  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Guess: Xbox will dominate the US, followed by the Wii then the PS3. The PS3 will dominate in Japan, where Microsoft has not been able to substantially appeal to the "practical gamer", with the Wii in 2nd and the 360 in third. The Wii will have a good shot of outselling both of them in the worldwide numbers.

Sony and Microsoft have the advantage of having an established hardcore market of gamers worldwide, but they have each other to competate against. The Wii is in a league of it's own, but by going after the "causual" or "non-traditional" gamer and even the "non-gamer" they have their marketting work cut out for them, even more so than Sonty and Microsoft, despite having no competetion in this feild.

But as a bonus, many hardcore gamers who already has either a PS3 or a 360 will likely look to the Wii as a second system before looking to the 2nd hardcore system they don't already have.

Nintendo just has to put tons of push behind their 1st party titles (they can't have a repeat of the N64 where one 1st party title would come out every 3 to 4 months, great as they were), and help developers develop Wii exclusive gamers that take advantage of the innovation and the potential "funness" of the system. So far, they seem to be doing just that.

Well given the 360 has had a yr headstart, its to be expected.

That being said, i'd still like one, but i don't really have enough space for a 360 aswell as a PSP, Mac, PC, PS2 and Wii.

The PS3 will have a lot of the fanboys on board (me) and also gamers who want the exclusives that are on that system.

Give it time, when the winner of the format wars(bluray vs HD-DVD) is clear then we'll have a better idea, but word is sony has called on everyone to compromise, so this could be good for everyone!

but then again, xbox has a solid title or two like halo dropping this year, alan wake....

looks like its gonna be a good battle...

Alan Wake one could be exciting, Halo doesnt do much for me, personally. But youve admitted to being a primarily PC gamer, so i can see where youd dig it more.

The PS3 will dominate in Japan, where Microsoft has not been able to substantially appeal to the "practical gamer",

hee hee

Sony and Microsoft have the advantage of having an established hardcore market of gamers worldwide, but they have each other to competate against. The Wii is in a league of it's own, but by going after the "causual" or "non-traditional" gamer and even the "non-gamer" they have their marketting work cut out for them, even more so than Sonty and Microsoft, despite having no competetion in this feild.

True. Bish keeps bitching that its not techincially a next-gen machine, but its not really trying to be in that race either, to be fair. Its clearly been after a differnt clientele.

But as a bonus, many hardcore gamers who already has either a PS3 or a 360 will likely look to the Wii as a second system before looking to the 2nd hardcore system they don't already have.

yeah, hence the Wii60 thing ive seen a lot on other sites.

Nintendo just has to put tons of push behind their 1st party titles (they can't have a repeat of the N64 where one 1st party title would come out every 3 to 4 months, great as they were), and help developers develop Wii exclusive gamers that take advantage of the innovation and the potential "funness" of the system. So far, they seem to be doing just that.

That's what im hoping for. theyre gonna need more 3rd party support (like you said, games programmed to utitilze their controller setup) to have them not flying solo on their own (albeit strong) 1st party lineup. Im hoping as the units continue to sell, itll encourage the big names (capcom, konami, square/enix, rockstar, Namco, EA etc) to try out some of their franchises as well.

shit, who did eternal darkness agian?

SOF:

That being said, i'd still like one, but i don't really have enough space for a 360 aswell as a PSP, Mac, PC, PS2 and Wii.

Yeah, life must be hard when you dont have enough room for all your toys. :2T:

The PS3 will have a lot of the fanboys on board (me) and also gamers who want the exclusives that are on that system.

To me, its not the graphics/prosessor #'s all these console kids are catching wood over like were PC players alla sudden. Its gonna be: are the "exculsives" (especially familiar franchises like RE5, MGS 4, devil may cry 4, Tekken whatever, etc) and how well they deliver. you can more or less count on most of those to be solid titles, tho.

i think most people still want to see a lot more from the ps3 before forking over that kinda money, and the sales fitgures look like theyre showing just that. This year'll show a lot more of what they manage tho, just like year 1 (last year) for the 360 turned it aorund for them.

from here

Sony: Wii is overpriced

Australia is quickly establishing itself as the most nutty country on earth, at least when it comes to video games and also everything else. The Age spoke with Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, in regards to the upcoming release of the PS3. During the interview, Ephraim stated that his "only question for this Christmas on Wii is the price point," which is "still not family entertainment because $500 is a lot to fork out." He also claimed that "Microsoft's price point at $600-plus [is] a big investment for family entertainment." It should be noted that although the PS3 is going to run more than both of those consoles (probably combined), the PS3 is meant to prey on lonely single men, not families. Furthermore, it is going to be the greatest thing since Jesus.

Ephraim did point out, on the other hand, that Sony "welcomes the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry." He added, "[w]hat we've done on PlayStation 2 with social gaming has broadened the audience and we're glad that [Nintendo is] attempting to do similar things to open up the market to families and never-before gamers." Social gaming is better than drinking gaming alone.

SOF:

Yeah, life must be hard when you dont have enough room for all your toys. :2T:

To me, its not the graphics/prosessor #'s all these console kids are catching wood over like were PC players alla sudden. Its gonna be: are the "exculsives" (especially familiar franchises like RE5, MGS 4, devil may cry 4, Tekken whatever, etc) and how well they deliver. you can more or less count on most of those to be solid titles, tho.

i think most people still want to see a lot more from the ps3 before forking over that kinda money, and the sales fitgures look like theyre showing just that. This year'll show a lot more of what they manage tho, just like year 1 (last year) for the 360 turned it aorund for them.

Yeah that and Nanno would kill me,

I would like a 360, i would, but i don't think i could financially justifying spunking €400 on another console especially after just getting the wii... which is awesome, Wario Ware is out on Friday, i'm so getting that.

Plus a console like 360/PS3 really needs a 1080 full hd TV to play the games on to do them justice in my opinion.

I agree with what your saying nick, people are finally playing the "wait and see" card when it comes to PS3, i know i'd be the same, especially considering its price, uncertainty over future movie format (hd-dvd, BluRay) titles in the pipeline.

I've never really liked xbox, not 360 cos i've not played one long enough to judge, but the original, i just preferred my ps2.

That being said there are some excellent games in the pipeline for 360 at this moment, which they hope will win the jap market.

That guy's full've shit. Wiis didn't launch for more'n AU$399 and places like Target & KMart sell 'em for like, $385 now. I haven't priced games yet, but a mate was telling me the new Mario is like, $200. PS3's a great big heap of shit & I might only consider hiring one to play God of War 2.

Yeah that and Nanno would kill me,

I would like a 360, i would, but i don't think i could financially justifying spunking €400 on another console especially after just getting the wii... which is awesome, Wario Ware is out on Friday, i'm so getting that.

Plus a console like 360/PS3 really needs a 1080 full hd TV to play the games on to do them justice in my opinion.

I agree with what your saying nick, people are finally playing the "wait and see" card when it comes to PS3, i know i'd be the same, especially considering its price, uncertainty over future movie format (hd-dvd, BluRay) titles in the pipeline.

I've never really liked xbox, not 360 cos i've not played one long enough to judge, but the original, i just preferred my ps2.

That being said there are some excellent games in the pipeline for 360 at this moment, which they hope will win the jap market.

And YOU!! You need to get your shit on XBL.

Trade the consoles you don't use in at EB for a 360 damnit! MAKE ROOM FOR THAT SHIT!!

And I gotta say, I'm almost dreading the move to the new house, what with me getting my own den & shit. Big TV goes to the lounge, 360 goes back to my comparitively shithouse 51cm standard Pal-60, and I've been saying to myself over & over that it wouldn't be so bad. Then I watched my housemate playing on his Pal-60 51cm tv & I know I'ma roll a fucking bottle-o before this month is through, either that or blow the bond for this place in it.

PS- SOF- dunno if you played/compared titles betwixt PS2 & Xbox, but stuff like Xmen Legends & Need For Speed UnderGround 1 & 2 rolled so much sweeter on the xbox. Quicker loads, sharper graphics, onboard HD always works a treat... Anyways, 'tever.

And YOU!! You need to get your shit on XBL.

Trade the consoles you don't use in at EB for a 360 damnit! MAKE ROOM FOR THAT SHIT!!

And I gotta say, I'm almost dreading the move to the new house, what with me getting my own den & shit. Big TV goes to the lounge, 360 goes back to my comparitively shithouse 51cm standard Pal-60, and I've been saying to myself over & over that it wouldn't be so bad. Then I watched my housemate playing on his Pal-60 51cm tv & I know I'ma roll a fucking bottle-o before this month is through, either that or blow the bond for this place in it.

PS- SOF- dunno if you played/compared titles betwixt PS2 & Xbox, but stuff like Xmen Legends & Need For Speed UnderGround 1 & 2 rolled so much sweeter on the xbox. Quicker loads, sharper graphics, onboard HD always works a treat... Anyways, 'tever.

Personally i never liked Need for Speed, and never played Xmen Legends, i don't doubt there were games which were better on Xbox.

That being said i just got some sponds from VHI for some health claims, but i'm not gonna put it toward a 360 yet.

From what i've read there is no point in buying a PS3 without a HD display, and i'm guessing to get the best out of a 360 i'd need the same.

We'll see what happens, at the minute, i'm just having way to much fun with the Wii, but i will be on XBL by the end of the year!

Mate have you played a PS3 or 360? Are you bowled over by the OS on your PSP?

Aside from these, you don't need a hi-def display to play 360. It has leads for both & you can set it to Pal-60 like any other last-gen console(christ knows I will be come the end of the month :howyoudoin: ). It still looks impressive as hell next to your PS2, but won't futz your TV or compromise quality of your graphics. Make the investment man. 2 more maps for GoW & a whole buncha other shit you don't need!

Mate have you played a PS3 or 360? Are you bowled over by the OS on your PSP?

Aside from these, you don't need a hi-def display to play 360. It has leads for both & you can set it to Pal-60 like any other last-gen console(christ knows I will be come the end of the month :howyoudoin: ). It still looks impressive as hell next to your PS2, but won't futz your TV or compromise quality of your graphics. Make the investment man. 2 more maps for GoW & a whole buncha other shit you don't need!

I actually don't mind the OS on the PSP, it could be better, but it does its job.

I've not played a 360 for more than 10 minutes, cos i was in a shop, and don't know anyone who lives close by to play one, may have to stalk DoJ till he lets me have a go on his one.

PS3 isn't even out in Europe, isn't til the middle/end of march.

I've only a 50Hz 32" Widescreen, a lot of the games on 360 run @ 60hz...

Ah i dunno, kind watching the price thing at the minute, its a bit soon after getting the wii to be honest.

Might get it in the summer, will see... but at this stage i can't afford one.

x360_forum2.jpg

wii_forum2.jpg

ps3_forum2.jpg

those #'s make me happy.

those #'s are still making me happy. The wii's breaking 4 mil soon, while post-holiday PS3 struggled for 1. if this continues throughout the spring and beyond, this could really turn shit around for Nintendo...im hoping for more big games by Q3/4.

I also like that the only wii haters i know right now (guy at work's one of em, wont get off the ps3's dick for uh, the next NBA game or some shit) havent played it yet, and those who have, came around to it. That's cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Kotaku

Japanese Retailers: Used 360s > Used PS3s

used_ps3_sofmap.jpg

You might think that no one in Japan wants an Xbox 360. But you know what they want less? The 20 GB model of the PLAYSTATION 3. Mega retailer Sofmap is only giving 27,000 yen cash to folks trading in a used 20GB PS3...

used_xbox_sofmap.jpg

...and 27,500 yen for a used Xbox 360. This is what you might call a raw deal for resellers, as the 20 GB model of the PS3 retails for 49,980 yen, while the 360 goes for a much cheaper 38,980.

Mock Sony's choice to limit European PLAYSTATION 3 sales to the 60 GB model, but maybe they're right.

in your hometown? ouch.

ps SKEET SKEET SKEET

Archived