Hondo's Bar

Organic foods

The NZA

I think the average age was to 17 and this has to do with nutrition. The world wasn't always as prosperous as it is now, thus nutrition was worse.

The bearing nutrition has on female puberty has to do with girls needing to attain a certin body fat percentage in order to ovulate. Thus, poor diet means it takes longer to reach this threshold. Skinny girls are late bloomers as both my mother and my sister were 14 when they started menstrating, but me, always being prone to heaviness, I was 12. Hell, a lady at work, her 10 year old granddaughter is already of breeding age because she's a bit of a porker. An I'm not being mean, the girl is fat. Any rate, my point being, well, I already made it.

The average age would prolly be around 13 now due to our high fat diets and better diets that we are seeing worldwide. Also has to do with a move from an agrarian soceity to that of industrialization. Which is why I think its BS that everyone claims Mary was only 13!! If she was a poor Jew, I'd place that closer to 15. But that's a whole nother kettle of fish.

Edited by FireDownBelow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Ray can attest to this, but I was on a very strict diet in my childhood. Pesticides and presevatives made me sick. And my mom, too. I grew out of the allergy, but she stll deals with it. Gives her migranes and makes her sick to her stomach. Also other chemicals, like household cleaners, food coloring, gasoline, perfume, scented soap, deodorant, laundry detergent, shampoos, artificial flavorings, etc. I grew up on organic, all natural foods. I really do prefer them, even still, and eat them often. And lately, since I've cut out most processed foods I feel healthier, and my anxiety doesn't bother me as much.

• 1 year later...
Organic meat means bascially turn em' loose and do nothing. You feed them, you cut the bulls, and you just let em' alone more or less. You don't give them any vaccinations, shots to deal with illnesses, now for breeding purposes they're awesome because in five or so generations they're immune to just about any cattleborn disease known ot man but I would not eat any meat that came from them.

My understanding is that there is a difference between free-range, organic, and grass fed. Free range is viewed as a more humane way to raise livestock--and I've heard some arguments that it improves the flavor of meat. Organic, as I understand it is more about no hormone injections, and that the animals are fed organic material. Grass fed to me mean that they are fed a normal diet for ruminants--meaning mostly grass and hay etc rather than corn, and other meals that are made with refuse from animal processing plants.

My main concern is that the health of the animal while living will directly affect the nutritional value when it becomes meat. I know there are people who have a problem with the medicines--but I think they are probably misinformed. I mean, its pretty important to medicate livestock, as livestock are the carriers of many diseases that affect human populations. However, when I can afford it, I do try to buy grass fed, free range beef. And pork and poultry that is fed their natural diets as well. Those usually come along with an "organic" label which if it means hormone free is alright by me.

As far as vegetables are concerned--I agree with most people here that pesticides are unavoidable--as are GMO's in many cases. Some things I will try to buy organic because the levels of carcinogenic pesticides used on them are at insane levels--like apples. What I have a problem with--and frankly everyone should--is monoculture growing practices. When crops are not properly rotated, and the variety of crops are limited by corporate farming practices, the nutritional value of the food is dramatically affected. To get the same amount of nutrients from an apple that you got from eating just 1 in 1940, you now have to consume almost 4. The same goes for grains and pretty much everything else we grow. Its difficult to say what can be done about it. I mean, if you have the time and space, grow your own for sure. However if like most of the people in the US you do NOT, then find out what you can to avoid the more harmful conventional items--like apples. Overall, as usual, I think the answer to clean, nutritional food, that also doesn't hurt small farmers, is a mass political movement that forces large growers to cease practices that are outright harmful, and eventually sets up a food system that can provide for large populations, but do not serve a profit motive.

• 3 weeks later...

Ray can attest to this, but I was on a very strict diet in my childhood. Pesticides and presevatives made me sick. And my mom, too. I grew out of the allergy, but she stll deals with it. Gives her migranes and makes her sick to her stomach. Also other chemicals, like household cleaners, food coloring, gasoline, perfume, scented soap, deodorant, laundry detergent, shampoos, artificial flavorings, etc. I grew up on organic, all natural foods. I really do prefer them, even still, and eat them often. And lately, since I've cut out most processed foods I feel healthier, and my anxiety doesn't bother me as much.

But is that because they're better or just because you've grown up being told it's better? I think there's a definite placebo effect and I think a lot of people don't realize the difference between "gee this locally grown hand harvested food is a better than that crap from the factory farm" and "Organic food tastes so much better than the version that's medicated/sprayed for pests/fungus/disease." I could probably grow an awesome chicken that's medicated and not pumped full of growth hormones that snooty German Guy would fucking love because, and this is the important detail, I'm not mass producing it.

Factory farming is the McDonalds of food production, it has to be turned out in greater amounts in less time for less money so you get what you pay for. This doesn't mean that a cow or a sheep or a pig that's been innoculated is going to be significantly less healthy/taste worse than one that's been left to run free and frollock in the fields. However an animal that's been cared for and lovingly tended to will tend to be more tender and fat; thus giving it a better flavor/texture (see: Kobe Beef) as opposed to one that's lived a life that requires it to actually like move around and grow muscles and stuff (a big part of livestock is making sure your animals don't get burn off too much of the fat they accumulate as it makes the meat lose flavor and get tough.)

So yeah, it doesn't have growth hormones in it. Guess what, neither does meat you buy straight from a farmer! However, if it's organic it might have worms or some exotic malady that will stay in the meat. Do you know what kind of Lovecraftian fungi grows on most vegetables? Do you know the only real way other than just cutting it off by hand is through the use of decidedly inorganic fungicides?

I have nothing against organic farmers, they've started the biggest most succesful racket since free range chicken, and any time farmers in this country make money it's for the better (particularly when they find a group of rubes with a lot of money to pay out the ass for it), my problem is with the people who know basically nothing about how food production works suddenly becoming PHDs in Agriculture and Nutrition because they shop at Whole Foods.

• Upvote 2

That's ok baytor, I should specify, I don't think I like it better because it's organic, necessarily. Everything I ate was all natural, and there is often a huge difference in taste in a preservative free, and food coloring, artificial flavor and pesticide free products than in their alternative. There is some all natural products that are terrible, but there are a lot of products that are amazing and worth the money. And my experience with vegitables and fruit are biased, we ate mostly from my grandparents garden and our fruit trees, so of course it was better than a supermarket. And when we bought something that we couldn't grow, it had to be pesticide free or I couldn't eat it, so things like strawberries were seen as a treat, so of course they were good. There are a lot of products that I do prefer the organic all natural version of, but it could easily be because that is what I was raised on.

See, yeah, exactly. It's a matter of care more than anything, locally grown will always take better, it's why my mom buys shit from the Amish. It just tastes better because they're more invested in it being really good for their own wellbeing. A factory farm can have a whole barn taste like a burnt asshole and it only knocks their bottom line down a couple of points.

• 5 months later...

Sunnybrook farms organic vegan gummy bears are the best thing ever. I have some now :)

Haha, I just googled 'Sunnybrook farms organic vegan gummy bears' and this page on Hondo's was the 2nd google result after Kabira Farms' own website. Yeah, pectin works great as a gelling agent, it's a same there's gelatin in so many things. I was at costco the other day, and they had two brands of peanuts. I picked up the cheaper-per-ounce one and just checked the ingredients as a force of habit, not expecting a problem, and the peanuts has gelatin in them. They had some glaze made with gelatin.