Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

I just got all 4 books on sale @ amazon for $20 in paperback and they come in a nifty, soon to be useless as the 5th book is coming out, slipcase.

As for the show...

It continues to be the best thing on TV. I'm hoping Sensa doesn't come off as much as a retarded cunthead in the books as she is in the series. Honestly, I want to see her head caved in almost more than I do the queen or Jeoffery.

The fight scene w/ Drago was pretty fuckin' awesome. Apparently this guy is the new Conan. If he's as badass as Conan as he is in this show, then the movie might not be as totally shitty as the trailer made it look to be. And I'm not sure how much I dig the zombies, but I am curious to see where the White Walkers will factor in to this whole game of thrones.

I'm afraid Sansa's not gonna be one of your favorites.

At least not for a very, very long while. As for the brat prince (no, not Lestat) and his mother,

you'll hate them more and more as time goes by.

I'm as vexed by Daenerys' actions as the unfortunate fellow missing his tongue. I love that she's grown so much into her role as Khaleesi, but fucking with institutions like a good raping after a pillage, well... That's inexcusable. I get that she's trying to bring some Western class to the savages, but this is the beginning of the end for those guys, I'd wager.

I took "mount" as conquer. But apparently "fuck" and "conquer" are synonymous in Dothraki. But it's my guess there's no way they make it to Westeros this season or in the first book. The White Walkers have been set up as the big payoff all season, so I'd be surprised if they weren't the climactic battle for this season, or at the least the cliffhanger at the end of the season.

And don't you come in here w/ yer damnable thpoilerth either, Ly. Let me have my fanboy rantings for now. :2T:

And don't you come in here w/ yer damnable thpoilerth either, Ly. Let me have my fanboy rantings for now. :2T:

I put it under a spoiler tag. Not like I held a gun to your head, telling you to look at what I'd posted under there. :p

Edited by Lycaon

Well, they did it. I know HBO doesn't usually pull any punches--but I was worried that they wouldn't follow the books--especially in the latest episode. This story is so awesome. As far as main characters go, Tyrion is an obvious favorite--but Arya, now she kicks some serious ass. For those who haven't read the books--just wait. Or don't wait--cause that will take a year. Go get the books.

Any favorite villans yet?

Pretty much every Lannister that's not Tyrion(though just because he's charismatic I wouldn't say he's not a villain). My adopted policy will be: when this season ends I shall read the first book. If I'm moved enough to continue I shall but otherwise(because I love episodic storytelling) I'd sooner just read the books after the seasons.

Also, being in the dark as I am about the goings-on, I'm on the edge of my fucking seat about the ending of last night's ep. Not asking for a spoiler, just aying that

I acknowledge that Eddard Stark has probably run his course as a character and Rob's pretty much already head of the House of Stark, but it's a shame to see him go if that's indeed how it's gone down. The obvious cutaway and sound of slicing flesh is no certain thing, and guaranteed the damn show will do it's normal cliffhanger thing where it waits half the next ep to acknowledge our concerns!!

Re. latest episode: Oh.Mah.Gah. These episodes keep getting better.

Jay- I was going to do that w/ the books, but I couldn't wait. And they're so long that I'll likely not be finished w/ book one by the time S1 is over.

Tulip-Jeoffery might've just taken the top spot as #1 villain away from Littlefinger, but . . .

I wouldn't doubt it if Littlefinger was the one who convinced him to do it.

And WTF up w/ demon Khal? Is Westeros now going to get raped by a demon Dothraki Dragon? Huzzah for alliteration!

Ahhh! Jay read the books man. Its a serious crack addiction--but the whole series leaves you going "NO! NO FUCKING WAY--You DID NOT!" But he did. George RR Martin is a man who appears to adore torturing his characters--and then he likes to give them unexpected victories. I can't wait to find out how it ends...

Anyone know when the new books will be out?

Also--Haku just wait. What happens with Khal Drogo is pretty fucking crazy.

Co-signed on the S1 finale. Ly was right about disliking Geoffery even more. I'll be sorely disappointed if his demise is anything less than a prolonged, painful experience. Spoiler free comments:

Cersei: Eew. Again?

Denerys: Shit just got real!

Tyrion: I can't wait for the next 10 min. video of him slapping Geoffery--The Hand indeed!

Sansa: Ugh. You should've done your family a favor and taken that flight solo.

Almost done with book 4. Book 5 is coming out on July 12th. Will I pay the 30 some odd bucks for hard cover? Yes, yes I will. But then I'm going to go through crack withdrawal until he finished writing the 6th and 7th books...

Glad you're in the zone w/ book 4, Tulip. However, the first book is kind of DRAGONing along for me (Come on in here and do it proper, Gene!) because the show did such a good job of setting up these characters and having plots w/ such wonderful pacing that I'm feeling like I'm simply retreading what I already learned from the series.

About a month ago my husband finally convinced me to get HBO, just for this series. I watched it with him and got hooked, it became our show. In short, no matter what else was going on we stopped everything every Sunday night at 9. Kids on fire? Fuck you kid, our shows on. Get your ass to bed. Now it's over and I am bummed. I'm going to read the first book (actually i've already started) and hopefully be able to wait it out until next spring (SRSLY?! NEXT SPRING?? THAT'S LIKE... ALMOST A YEAR FROM NOW!)before starting the next, because as Hakujin said, I don't want to ruin any surprises and dammit, I really like this show.

I’m probably in a minority amongst science-fiction and fantasy fans in that I never got past the first book of George R.R.Martin’s “A Song of Fire and Ice”.

I remember reading the first volume as part of the Book Club on the CompuServe SFLIT forum (who’s old enough to remember CompuServe?). Everyone else was gushing praise about it, but it left be a little underwhelmed. Yes, it was a page-turner, but I found it read too much like a daytime soap-opera in medieval clothes. One reviewer described it as “Dallas in furs”, which for me was precisely what was wrong with it. Far too many characters, and not nearly enough emphasis on the worldbuilding. It may be there was a lot more creative worldbuilding that’s revealed in later volumes, but in the first volume at least, GRRM didn’t show me enough to keep me interested enough in the series to want to read any of the following books.

For me. it was a stark contrast to Frank Herbert’s classic Dune which we’d read previously, which is a book where the worldbuilding is very much centre-stage. I remember the sysop saying how much better Game of Thrones was than Dune, and the patronising way she kept dismissing my attempts to defend Dune still rankle a decade later. The line she kept parroting, which she claimed came from the TV industry, was “If you care about the characters, nothing else matters. If you don’t care about the characters, nothing else matters”. I took that as an example of how SF and Fantasy must be watered-down for mass audiences, and her repeating it showed a very strong preference for character-driven books, and no interest in worldbuilding at all. “How on earth can the planet be a character” was another line.

And that’s my problem. The sort of fantasy and science-fiction I prefer is always driven by the worldbuilding, in the broadest sense. Not just the physical environment that’s so centre-stage in Dune, but the back-stories, history and cultures. For me, the setting is far more than just background, but rather the context for both the characters and the story. Instead, “A Game of Thrones” takes as it’s plot a retelling of the Wars of the Roses, and takes it’s characters from the archetypes of American soap opera.

Not that I’m suggesting characters the readers can strongly identify with, or gripping plotlines don’t matter. Any worldbuilding is wasted if the world the author ends up with isn’t one in which he or she can tell a great story. But I read SF and Fantasy to have the author take me toanother world. It’s got to be a story which couldn’t have been set in suburban Seattle.

Haku, honestly, the series did such a great job--read the last couple chapters of Book 1 for continuity, and then skip ahead if you want to. I caught up to and then passed the series, so it still held some mysteries for me to start. What I really got out of it was a little bit of deeper character development than I would have. The actors on the show did such an awesome job that it almost felt gratuitous being privy to their inner monologues.

Rex--I remember Compu-Serve! I personally had trouble getting in to Dune. I liked both movies well enough, but I never really cared that much about the characters. What I like about ASOIAF is that it keeps taking me by surprise. I do care about some of the characters--and loathe others, but thus far some of those I loathed have become my favorites and ones I liked to start have developed and--I see the soap opera analogy, but I would compare it more to a gory car accident. Just can't help but look :2T:

About a month ago my husband finally convinced me to get HBO, just for this series. I watched it with him and got hooked, it became our show. In short, no matter what else was going on we stopped everything every Sunday night at 9. Kids on fire? Fuck you kid, our shows on. Get your ass to bed. Now it's over and I am bummed. I'm going to read the first book (actually i've already started) and hopefully be able to wait it out until next spring (SRSLY?! NEXT SPRING?? THAT'S LIKE... ALMOST A YEAR FROM NOW!)before starting the next, because as Hakujin said, I don't want to ruin any surprises and dammit, I really like this show.

Yeah, got the novels probably around episode 6 or 7. I really was flip-flopping on should I read the novel during the series or not. I ended up opting for NOT, and I'm really glad I did b/c the last two episodes were so damned great. I am, however, planning on reading book two (Clash of Kings) before the second season begins. Emphasis on planning.

Haku, honestly, the series did such a great job--read the last couple chapters of Book 1 for continuity, and then skip ahead if you want to. I caught up to and then passed the series, so it still held some mysteries for me to start. What I really got out of it was a little bit of deeper character development than I would have. The actors on the show did such an awesome job that it almost felt gratuitous being privy to their inner monologues.

Cheers for the advice, Tulip. I think I will end up doing some "selective skimming" with the first novel. I'm in the middle of another book right now as well, finally reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I'll likely break from GoT and come back to it.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Cheers for the advice, Tulip. I think I will end up doing some "selective skimming" with the first novel. I'm in the middle of another book right now as well, finally reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I'll likely break from GoT and come back to it.

Totally going OT here but Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is highly over rated. The over explanation of every single character adds nothing to the book, and the subject matter as a whole is uninteresting and has nothing to do with the actual plot, and yet again entire chapters are spent explaining every little detail. By the time you get to the end it feels as though you've been schooled on a bunch of crap that not only doesn't pertain to the plot, but you just don't give a shit about.

Yeah, I agree w/ you on a lot of those points about TGWTDT, Dr. Chikins. It took me over a week to get throught he first few chapters as it was so damned dull. All this minutia about these fictitious Swedish businesses. But I'm in on the Vanger mystery now (which is also bogged down in minutia about the family--yawn) and Salandar's past. Not quite to the part where these characters actually meet. I do believe I'll skip the other two books though and just watch the Swedish films. I hear they're quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been quite a few GoT theme covers, but this one combines the two best I've heard. Very cool.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWQXQgHgq8?version=3"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWQXQgHgq8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWQXQgHgq8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>