Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

would people who do not get erections for lord of the walk rings and dragons and stuff enjoy this

serious question here

Surprised that no one has actually answered this question yet. Honestly Game of Thrones feel a lot more like a medieval political history than a straight up fantasy. There are fantastical elements to be certain, but the show is much more about the interplay between the characters, the personal drama, and the overall badassery.

A lot of people who don't like fantasy seem to have taken a shine to the adaptation. I found this in a write-up on the Boston Globe:

You may not be a fantasy lover. You may have found “The Lord of the Rings’’ as enthralling as the front of a box of Lucky Charms. But there is something even for you in this epic. Premiering Sunday night at 9' date=' “Game of Thrones,’’ is yet another HBO triumph over genre limits. Just as “Deadwood’’ turned the Western into Shakespearean theater, and “The Sopranos’’ and “The Wire’’ redefined crime drama, “Game of Thrones’’ exceeds its fantasy roots, even while hewing close to Martin’s work.[/quote']

It is, more than an adaptation, an HBO series, it isn't dumbed down, the production values are top notch, and it throws you in to the deep end of the pool and expects you to swim pretty quickly. It has some amazing acting thus far (Peter Dinklage FTW!) good direction, and the story has been moving at a decent clip. And it's just getting started. I'd recommend getting in now when there are only a couple of episodes to catch up on, it'll be worth it IMO.

Well put Bish. I'm not likely to read the books anytime soon though: 1. because I've already got a stack of summer reading a couple feet high 2. I'm enjoying the TV series too much to "spoil" anything by reading the books. Maybe when S1 is over I'll tackle the first novel though.

What crazy conversion table are you using? :blink:

Ly, really? You're fuckin' w/ me here, right?

I posted on April 17th, 2011 I'd never read the books, but was excited about the series. Not sure why you thought that was a post made "years" ago--hence my "five day" comment in reply. OK, enough of this, more talk about the show!

Surprised that no one has actually answered this question yet. Honestly Game of Thrones feel a lot more like a medieval political history than a straight up fantasy. There are fantastical elements to be certain, but the show is much more about the interplay between the characters, the personal drama, and the overall badassery.

A lot of people who don't like fantasy seem to have taken a shine to the adaptation. I found this in a write-up on the Boston Globe:

It is, more than an adaptation, an HBO series, it isn't dumbed down, the production values are top notch, and it throws you in to the deep end of the pool and expects you to swim pretty quickly. It has some amazing acting thus far (Peter Dinklage FTW!) good direction, and the story has been moving at a decent clip. And it's just getting started. I'd recommend getting in now when there are only a couple of episodes to catch up on, it'll be worth it IMO.

What Mr. Hakujin said... about what you said.

Ly, really? You're fuckin' w/ me here, right?

No idea what you're talking about. It was obviously ages ago.

I posted on April 17th, 2011 I'd never read the books, but was excited about the series. Not sure why you thought that was a post made "years" ago--hence my "five day" comment in reply. OK, enough of this, more talk about the show!

I'd read this spoiler-tagged text, but I don't want to have anything spoiled about this show for me. Sorry.

What Mr. Hakujin said... about what you said.

No idea what you're talking about. It was obviously ages ago.

I'd read this spoiler-tagged text, but I don't want to have anything spoiled about this show for me. Sorry.

PS

I hate you so hard. So. Hard.

• 3 weeks later...

So how is everyone else liking the show? We have a fairly sizable little watch party every week which is entertaining.

Ratings have been high, better than True Blood it's first season. Not as high as Boarwalk Empire though. After episode 6 this Sunday, HBO Go will show episode 7 immediately online. Curious to see how that will go.

Episode 5 seemed to be where the series really kicked into high gear, knowing what is coming I cannot wait to see it all play out. How are Haku and the other series newbs holding up?

Who are your favorite characters? What do you think is coming?

I'm LOVING this show. Last episode was especially good.

Crazy breast feeding sister is crazy!!! I got a feeling she's waaaay wrong on what her hubby's last words meant. Gollum Jr. Their kid is a few ounces of tit milk shy of a full bottle, if ya know what I mean.

Also, I have theory on what those infamous last words of the former Hand mean. However, I'm not going to discuss it just yet as I don't want someone that's read the book already to spoil it for me if I'm right or wrong. I'm having too much fun watch it unfold on screen.

would people who do not get erections for lord of the walk rings and dragons and stuff enjoy this

serious question here

I asked Ly the same question on FB, pretty much phrased the same as well. Adam weakened my resolve w/beer and then just kind of put it on. It IS pretty awesome, if I were to liken it to a familiar existing proprty I'd say Rome. Only started watching saturday night but I'm all caught up(this week's ep notwithstanding) and craving more. Gonna hold out til the end of the season to read the book, and depending on how compelled from there will read more or wait til the second season is wrapped up.

Ly- I think everyone's favourite character is Tyrion, or at least should be. :2T:

I love the growth of Daenerys Targaryen as a character, as well as her husband Kratos and their improbably fat horses.

. . .I love the growth of Daenerys Targaryen as a character, as well as her husband Kratos and their improbably fat horses.

She had a MAJOR breakthrough this last episode. This chick is not to be fucked with.

Just ask her brother with the face full of molten gold. Dude was a fucking prick, but damn that shit was harsh.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got all 4 books on sale @ amazon for $20 in paperback and they come in a nifty, soon to be useless as the 5th book is coming out, slipcase.

As for the show...

It continues to be the best thing on TV. I'm hoping Sensa doesn't come off as much as a retarded cunthead in the books as she is in the series. Honestly, I want to see her head caved in almost more than I do the queen or Jeoffery.

The fight scene w/ Drago was pretty fuckin' awesome. Apparently this guy is the new Conan. If he's as badass as Conan as he is in this show, then the movie might not be as totally shitty as the trailer made it look to be. And I'm not sure how much I dig the zombies, but I am curious to see where the White Walkers will factor in to this whole game of thrones.