Hondo's Bar

Jesus Camp.

I just watched this last night, it's a documentry, but a good one in the sense that they don't really take any side, they just show what's going on.

So what's going on?

It's scary. Disturbing.

It's about a camp where Christians send their kids (not all christians obviously) to be brainwashed into becomming God's Army. At one point the kids are asked if they'd be willing to die for their savior and many of them say "yes".

yeah so watch it if you haven't...

just downloaded acquired this one as well last week, ill see it prolly next weekend and reply then. What i saw from the trailer did indeed look scary, i thought it was gonna be more of the southern baptist vactation bible school thing i had to do in my youth, but LL says its more hardcore.

Just saw it and it was rather 'meh'. The biggest problem being that these guys are generally fringe even for pentecostals, who in and of themselves are a fringe of evangelicals. I mean yeah, there is some rather disturbing stuff, I went to similar camps as a teenager and this one does seem to be a LOT more out there as a whole. I was amazed when they had Haggart (I think that was his name on) talking about the evils of homosexuality they didn't go for the (caught with gay hooker) sign flashing onscreen. That and the air america talk show guy shows he doesn't know his shit when he is mixing these guys with mainstream evangelicals.

The Haggard gay hooker story didn't come out until after the film was released. I'd argue that the Christianity in Jesus Camp is more mainstream in the Mid West than you'll like to believe.

Goddamnit, lost what I had typed. Anyhow, you could argue that, but you'd be wrong Jax.

I was raised in the Midwest, and grew up from the ages 8-16 in a pentecostal church, not as extreme, but similar in a lot of ways to the one presented in this film. It is a relatively small number of very dedicated individuals, but is not the mainstream of Evangelical christianity. There are roughly 6 million pentecostals in the US as of 2004, that is less than 1/10 the number of catholics and just over 1/8 the number of baptists. Within that group of pentecostals there are around 60 or so different named denominations, and tons of non-denominational churches. Many of the old school pentecostals think that these newer ones are a little off their rocker.

Churches like this are not the mainstream of christianity anywhere. If you want the mainstream in the midwest, look at the baptist and methodist denominations.

Goddamnit, lost what I had typed. Anyhow, you could argue that, but you'd be wrong Jax.

I was raised in the Midwest, and grew up from the ages 8-16 in a pentecostal church, not as extreme, but similar in a lot of ways to the one presented in this film. It is a relatively small number of very dedicated individuals, but is not the mainstream of Evangelical christianity. There are roughly 6 million pentecostals in the US as of 2004, that is less than 1/10 the number of catholics and just over 1/8 the number of baptists. Within that group of pentecostals there are around 60 or so different named denominations, and tons of non-denominational churches. Many of the old school pentecostals think that these newer ones are a little off their rocker.

Churches like this are not the mainstream of christianity anywhere. If you want the mainstream in the midwest, look at the baptist and methodist denominations.

Yeah I'm with bishop I've lived in the bible-belt my entire life in a fiercly religious area. Between the baptists, catholics, methodists, jehova's witnesses, amish, and christian's it's all pretty conflicting. However we all kind of look down on people who are this extreme with the exception of a select few.

Now see here, I was born and raised an athiest. maybe that's why I was so like OFUG!!! when watching this movie. i had friends who were religous but they never once tried to convert me. So, yanoo that little girl was freaking me out. I'd hit her if she tried that shit with me (trying to convert her neighbor's kid, pushing phamplets on unsuspecting bowlers...for shame!).

The power of christ compells you twats!!!

I'm not denying people like this exist oh hell no I know people like this and they are indeed sick, I'm just trying to say that just because we're midwestern and Christian doesn't mean we're fixing on starting up the Crusades again. Christianity and Islam are so alike it's not even funny pretty much the same belief system and the same thing happens, there's plenty of good Muslims, there's plenty of good Christians but we only pay attention to the guy who sees an imaginary dog that tells him to "cleanse the city"

Son of Sam.

I agree with you there, their are good individuals in every form of religion. This was a pretty extreme group of Christians, however, they are becomming the majority, or at least trying like hell to.

I was more interested in what the parents were saying, like Lee's parents telling the filmakers they don't force their religion on their kids. Yet they surround them with it, and he's not allowed to have any outside views, by going to school or any non church related events. maybe it's not direct force, but there's defiently some pushing there.

*I* personally was never held back, my parents weren't really against religion, they just refused to practice anything that involved a group setting (like a church). They didn't belive in god, but they didn't care if someone else did.

I don't know, it's an odd sitituation, and either one would be pretty ignorant of the other's feelings.

and it's not funny cuz it's true!!

jeeez.

*I did smile when i read that tho...so uhh i guess i'm going to hell*

Archived