Hondo's Bar

The Ultimate Sambo

Nanno

• 2 months later...

Fuck, I'm really hungry. funny, i used to hate sandwiches until I discovered drinking. i didn't like condiments, combining foods or deli meats, so pretty much kills the sandwich thing. But after discovering drinking a whole bunch of things suddenly became delicious to me. The last 11 years I have discovered several delicious sandwiches.

Classic Italian Combo: White sub roll with Ham, salami, capicola, and provolone cheese, with lettuce, tomato, onion, hot peppers, oil and vinegar. I make sure to have one whenever I visit the north east (because that's where they are made properly!) even though they are really bad for you.

Falafel in grilled flat bread: Another favorite, with either hummus or tzatziki sauce, and a dash of tobasco.

Hot corn beef on dark rye, with swiss and spicy mustard. (Great for hangovers)

Smoked turkey wrapped in a wrap with a chipotle cream cheese, fresh water cress and roasted red-pepper

Philly cheesteak with that fake ass cheese. (For the day after a serious liver harming bender.)

• 2 weeks later...
nothing beats a philly cheesesteak done right, my opinion.

Fuck YES!

You know who had a great Philly cheesesteak?

TGI Friday's, as fucked up as that is.

First they had it as a wrap, then as a regular sandwich on ciabatta bread... holy fuck, was it good.

Then they discontinued it, and I haven't been back since.

Fuckers preventing me from coronary artery disease! BAH!

I have the boys that run my local subway wrapped around my little finger. My sandwich of choice is a 6" turkey and swiss on honey oat, lots of lettuce, cucumber, onion, black olive, mayo and salt & pepper. Always with a bag of chips and a bottle of sprite. I order this sandwich so frequently that I walk into the store and whoever's manning the board that day will usually start making it without being prompted. I went in the other day and ordered a different sandwich, and the manager, Richard, looked like he was going to spontaneously combust from shock.

And for all of you that seem to like that slop they call southwest sauce... you must have yours manufactured a different way than we do here in the US, because the southwest sauce we have here tastes like crap.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Chopped mushrooms & shallots

photo0384g.jpg

photo0383y.jpg

The Shallots & mushrooms frying in some butter

photo0386e.jpg

Heating them until they caramelise, then adding salt black pepper a dash or two of worcester sauce and some parsley

photo0387f.jpg

The Steaks (Rib eye end of a t-bone steak, and deboned)

photo0388c.jpg

The Bread, hollowed out.

photo0389z.jpg

Dry searing the steaks, seasoned lightly in salt & black pepper

photo0390s.jpg

Putting the steak in the bread

photo0391n.jpg

Adding what I can of the mushroom & shallot mixture

photo0392r.jpg

Adding the other steak, and covering the steak in horseradish relish and the bread in dijon mustard

photo0393w.jpg

Before I flatten it

photo0394.jpg

Wrapped up in greaseproof paper and tied

photo0395.jpg

Wrapped in tinfoil and pressed down

photo0396m.jpg

All I need to do is unwrap it and serve it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ross: What do you mean I need to work out? I use my weights ALL THE TIME!!!!

That is one sweet-ass looking steak sambo though, DoJ. Color me envious.Turkey one doesn't look half bad either.

but why wrap the steak sambo in paper AND foil before flattening? wouldn't the foil do well enough?

• 5 months later...

Archived