Hondo's Bar

Rock Band

Silent Bob

just an linkless update:

MS and sony both now say their instruments for Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero: World Tour and Konami's Rock Revolution will all be cross-compatible. Straight from the horse's mouth, so those of you on the fence about new instruments, fear not.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will then get RB2 (game only), GHWT (game only) and maybe get the GH drums set (unless GHWT has a box with the game and the drums without a guitar or microphone). Great news. Shame that one of GHWT's elevated cymbals isn't the green one, because most RB songs have the green as the crash, but alot of the songs use the yellow as the hi-hat or ride, so having the yellow being elevated...that's good.

Here's Rock Revolution's drums:

43088-468x-rockrev11.jpg

Six pads and one pedal (neither Activision or Konami had the balls to try to go with two pedals).

As for the DLC that dropped today, I usually look at youtube videos of songs I've never heard before, and most of the time they don't do much for me, but I am really hooked on both the Devo tracks. I downloaded two 'non-Whip It' Devo songs years ago (Jocko Homo and Speed Racer) and neither seemed too exciting to me (I remember having a argument with My Leaky Bucket back in late 02/early 03 about Devo being a gimmick or one-hit wonder), but these two are totally stuck in my head. I'm downloading their greatest hits now.

I would seriously consider the Ion drum kit if it had an orange cymbal so it wouldn't drop the orange notes on GHWT. Playing GHWT with the Rock Band drums will have the orange notes presumable just appear as one of the other four colors. I don't want that with a $300 set.

guitar_hero_4_drum_render.jpg

Highhats FTW. PS-- don't tell Doj or Newt I said this, but I was playing the PS3 version of RB set up at a local Harvey Norman a few weeks ago and the kit felt slightly more durable than the 360 one. Lotta folks are saying this GHWT kit is more durable than whatever went into the RB2 kit too.

Hahaha I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Spent the best part of an hour reading up on the Ion kit this morning though, and it looks like it actually has cushioned pads for durability as well as silence, so yeah, can probably take the punishment.

I'm not jumping on any new kit right away. I'll wait for the new RB kit, the GHWT kit and the Ion kit to be out for a while, hoping that the internets will provide me with feedback on the best choice, but seriously, adding a new color note is a cool step up, and I'd rather not sacrifice it.

1219423658.jpg

OK, so a cover of Tom Sawyer is already in the game, and a cover of Limelight has been available as DLC for about half a year. I'm kind of pissed about having a master recording now available when I already bought a cover. That said, I'll probably get this anyway.

Also, YYZ marks RB's first song with no vocals. It is so far unconfirmed if vocalists will just be playing the hell out of their tambourines and cowbells, or will get an automatic achievement for getting a perfect score on expert.

At least for 360, here's how Harmonix is saying to get your RB1 content onto RB2:

You bought Rock Band 1, you love playing Rock Band 1 then, oh no, they go and release Rock Band 2. What are you going to do with two Rock Bands? You can't possibly change discs during play - that's just silly - so Harmonix have had to come up with a workaround. That workaround allows you to transfer all your RB1 songs onto your HDD, and works a little something like this...

1) On the day Rock Band 2 is released, Rock Band 1 will receive a title update. That update will add an "export" command in the RB1 menu.

2) Hit "export" and you'll need to enter a password, which you get with your copy of RB2. Enter the password and you have to pay. Harmonix promise it won't be more than $5.

3) Pay the $5 (or less), and your RB1 songs (well...the ones on the disc...and the ones they're allowed to port over, as Harmonix can't guarantee that all songs will be available) will be transferred to your HDD.

And that's it! Note this doesn't work for your DLC, since that already works in RB2 anyway. It's just the songs on the disc. Also note that this is for the 360 version only; the PS3 should be the same (though this isn't confirmed), but Lord only knows how the Wii's going to manage.

1219423658.jpg

OK, so a cover of Tom Sawyer is already in the game, and a cover of Limelight has been available as DLC for about half a year. I'm kind of pissed about having a master recording now available when I already bought a cover. That said, I'll probably get this anyway.

Also, YYZ marks RB's first song with no vocals. It is so far unconfirmed if vocalists will just be playing the hell out of their tambourines and cowbells, or will get an automatic achievement for getting a perfect score on expert.

Rush??? ug. yay. more Rush.

I won't be getting this.

So, the Rush album has been delayed due to technical difficulties. They say they will be releasing different DLC for this week, but still have not, and will release the Rush album in a few weeks. In the meantime there 6 upcoming albums have been confirmed:

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood

No Doubt - A specially-compiled Best Of collection

Here are my thoughts:

The Colour and the Shape - For my money, I would have rather seen the self-titled debut, but only by a little bit. I know The Colour and the Shape is more commercially successful, and is a fan favorite, and as a RB drummer primarily, more Foos is good.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik - The best news on the lot. RHCP are lots of fun, had really interesting arrangements, and no album is as solid as Blood Sugar Sex Magik. 17 tracks and one of the earliest albums in its day to push a CD to it's storage limit (73:55 out of 74:00). This is solid album and I'm be happy playing every song on it. Definite purchase.

Nothing's Shocking - When I saw that Mountain Song was in RB2, my first thought was that there were so many other great JA songs I'll like to play in RB, many off of Nothing's Shocking. The argument can definitely be made that Ritual De Lo Habitual would have been a better album, but at least it wasn't 2003's Strays.

Peace Sells...But Who's Buying - If there's one Megadeth album you can hope to sell the non-Metal heads, this is probably it.

Texas Flood - Yes. There are been a few genres RB has either explored very little or not at all. They include folk rock (Bob Dylan's Tangled Up In Blue will be on RB2, and will be the hardest song vocally, btw), reggae, southern rock, glam, funk, soul...but the one genre than best fits the guitar/bass/drums/vocals format that has been most underrepresented is Blues. Not my first choice for Blues in RB, but not a shabby one.

No Doubt - I think Tragic Kingdom would likely be a better collection than any Best Of collection they could put together, since Tragic Kingdom was awesome from start to finish and nothing else No Doubt has done since has been that great. Tragic Kingdom was a monumental commercial success, so I can hope several TK cuts will be part of the pack. I'll buy any individual tracks from that album, but a whole pack, I'll have to see it first. Hope they change their mind.

As you should all know, besides the 85 on-disc songs, RB2 will also offer 20 free DLC songs upon release. Harmonix has confirmed that they will be form 20 bands not featured on the disc. Could be real, could not not be real, but this list leaked today:

1. Honest Bob - Tatooine

2. Against Me! - Stop!

3. Static-X - Push It

4. George Thorogood - Bad to the Bone

5. Blink 182 - Dammit

6. Free - All Right Now

7. Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia

8. Hot Hot Heat - Bandages

9. Bad Religion - Suffer

10. Turbonegro - All My Friends Are Dead

11. The Haunted - Shadow World

12. Pennywise - The Western World

13. Rancid - Fall Back Down

14. Sublime - Santeria

15. Taking Back Sunday - What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost

16. The Breeders - Cannonball

17. Sepultura - Refuse/Resist

18. Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows

19. The Killers - Somebody Told Me

20. Harvey Danger - Cream and Bastards Rise

Some awesome choices (I love Fall Back Down by Rancid). I kinda hope it's not real and the real list is even awesomer.

So, in honor of PAX, there is a PAX pack for cheap on Tuesday. Proceeds go to Penny Arcade's Child's Play charity.

"Skullcrusher Mountain" by Jonathan Coulton

"Livin' on the Corner of Dude and Catastrophe" by MC Frontalot

"Shhh...." by The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

I'll get the whole pack for Charity and good price, but I'm most excited about Skullcrusher Mountain.

Coulton's usually good, and ive dug older works of Frontalot, down to try both.

Well, The Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets has evidently been around a long time and is big in nerd culture. "Shh" was a previously unreleased track, so today is the first chance most people have to give it a listen. Here it is:

Also, last week, after the Rush album was not released, they released a 3-pack of an almost completely unheard-of band called Locksley (like Robin Hood's hometown). It was another cheap pack ($1 each song, $3 for the pack), and they have a cool throw-back retro sound, kinda like early Beatles/Who/Kinks/Hollies. I got it and it's pretty fun. I'll post vids later.

Source:

The update for RB that allows you to move RB1 songs to your hard drive for RB2 dropped today. 55 out of 58 RB1 songs will move over. The three that will not transfer over are Enter Sandman by Metallica, Run for The Hills as made famous by Iron Maiden and Paranoid as made famous by Black Sabbath.

Metalheads everywhere weep.

If there's any RB1 songs you don't want (if you want to keep it from popping up in World Tour Mode), you can delete them from your hard drive after moving them over.

Archived