Hondo's Bar

Silent Hill 5: Homecoming

The NZA

Sh5logo.jpg

So, weve only got a short teaser so far...

...and not much else. Well, that's not entirely true; Wiki has some details:

The protagonist of Silent Hill V will be Alex Shepherd, a soldier who comes home from overseas to find his father and later his brother Joshua have disappeared and his mother has gone into catatonia. Shepherd begins to search for his brother, leading him through Silent Hill and the new town of Shepherd's Glen.

...Though little has been revealed about the plot of Silent Hill V, a possible connection to earlier entries in the series can be noted, via its protagonist, Alex Shepherd, who shares a common surname with Silent Hill 2's Mary Shepherd-Sunderland.

That's pretty much it. The composer of the classic part 2 is on board, says we shoudl expect more of the psychological thrill we had from that one, but some fans lost heart after hearing western studio Foundation 9, The Collective (responsible for a handful of movie games ive never played., so far) was at the helm, and not Team Silent. I'm gonna wait and reserve judgement since weve seen nothing much yet, and also im a big fan and very hopeful for this. Also, its PS3/360 of course.

few other Silent Hill things: i was aware 4 wasnt really part of the series, but just dubbed that to make salse...so as far as canon goes, i guess this is basically 4.

Oh! and thsoe of you who loved part 2 like myself, this psychoanalysis of the game's plot was really interesting, filled in a lot of gaps for me...ill never look at James, or Pyramid-Head, the same way again.

....not a fan? again, i just found out it was a non-SH game with the title tacked on, tossed in a few links to the characters from before (James from 2, the landlord of the room is his dad, radio mentions it too).

I still think the concept is superb, but the execution, somewhere between repeating areas, ghosts becoming more annoying than the intiial scare, and uh, monkeys with golf clubs, i admit, it wastnt the series strongest entry.

I really REALLY hope that that is just placeholder audio for the teaser. That has got to be some of the worst voice work I've heard in a long time.

While I'm thrilled that they finally announced this game, it's somewhat bittersweet. More often than not a change in developers doesn't bode well for a franchise, and the couple of screenshots that are out don't exactly thrill me. Got my fingers crossed though, cause the Hill games rank among my favorites of all time.

Personally, I don't know why everyone hates on The Room. I thought it was great! Sure, the game is not actually IN Silent Hill, but I loved the idea that the corruption of the town was slowly starting to spill over to neighboring cities. I thought the "Hub" system of returning to your room was a brilliant way of inducing paranoia. It's your santuary, yet as the game progresses even it is no longer safe as the corruption starts to follow you home. Each time you come back it's like "Oh shit, my TV is possesed!" or "What the fuck is that coming out of the wall!!" I can't tell you how many times I had to debate weither or not it was worth porting back to the room to save because I was out of holy candles and didn't know what new horror might await me there. Also, the game had some truly freaky and unique enemies. I mean, those shrouded two headed baby things that walked on their hands made me shit my pants....TWICE! In my opinion, different is a good thing and I commend Team Silent on having the balls to try something that was radically different.

I really REALLY hope that that is just placeholder audio for the teaser. That has got to be some of the worst voice work I've heard in a long time.

Agreed, and im kind of assuming that's the case here. James from II was so much more sublte, for the most part. All over, its been solid voice acting, i think.

While I'm thrilled that they finally announced this game, it's somewhat bittersweet. More often than not a change in developers doesn't bode well for a franchise, and the couple of screenshots that are out don't exactly thrill me. Got my fingers crossed though, cause the Hill games rank among my favorites of all time.

More often than not, youre right, but im with you on this being one of my favorite franchises, so i remain optimistic.

What screenshots've you seen? post!

Personally, I don't know why everyone hates on The Room. I thought it was great! Sure, the game is not actually IN Silent Hill, but I loved the idea that the corruption of the town was slowly starting to spill over to neighboring cities. I thought the "Hub" system of returning to your room was a brilliant way of inducing paranoia. It's your santuary, yet as the game progresses even it is no longer safe as the corruption starts to follow you home. Each time you come back it's like "Oh shit, my TV is possesed!" or "What the fuck is that coming out of the wall!!" I can't tell you how many times I had to debate weither or not it was worth porting back to the room to save because I was out of holy candles and didn't know what new horror might await me there. Also, the game had some truly freaky and unique enemies. I mean, those shrouded two headed baby things that walked on their hands made me shit my pants....TWICE! In my opinion, different is a good thing and I commend Team Silent on having the balls to try something that was radically different.

its odd, i agree with you as well as baytor: the concept was great and scary, execution didnt have the moments previous entires in the seires did for me, and repetition was a problem.

The 2-headed babies were some of the better end of design, i agree...on the lower end? i recall monkeys hitting me with golf clubs. So i dont consider it a bad game, bu it was a mixed bag for me, and the weakest of the series so far. Then again, i hold 3 in higher regard than others do.

• 4 months later...

Some videos and stuff on this site, don't think I'll be following the progress of this one like I have the others in the series (which would probably be healthy anyway), whatever this game will be, at least it wont be killed by over-anticipation.

Also the PSP game has been released, so if someone wants to lend me a PSP, I can play it.

same boat; i wanna borrow a PSP just to play origins, same way i did for MGS Portable Ops. Reviews so far've been ok, but im gonna try to keep my expectations of 5 lukewarm as well, hopefully if it dissapoints ill soon have RE5, or uh, Alone in the Dark to comfort me, somehow.

• 4 months later...

woo hoo!

silenthillhomecoming.jpg

The Homecoming of Silent Hill

Konami's first Silent Hill® title for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION®3

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced the official title of its first Silent Hill game for PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360. Entitled Silent Hill: Homecoming, the game will be released end of September this year across Europe.

The sixth installment in the classic video games series, Silent Hill: Homecoming introduces another protagonist to the mythos. The story follows Alex Shepherd, returning to his hometown of Shepherd's Glen to investigate the sudden disappearance of his brother. From Shepherd's Glen to Silent Hill, Alex must face the darkest of horrors in order to find his brother. Struggling with his own grip on reality, Alex must unravel the mystery behind his nightmares, discover the truth behind his brother's disappearance, and confront the evil lurks in the seemingly empty streets of Silent Hill.

Homecoming is the first Silent Hill title for the new wave of 'next generation' consoles, featuring all-new graphics that bring the fear and terror of Silent Hill alive like never before. Alex must survive attacks from the misshapen denizens of the town using an all-new enhanced combat system that provides a wide array of attacks and counters. Along the way, Alex will encounter a variety of weapons to battle these horrific monsters and must also solve deadly puzzles as he uncovers the darkest secrets of Silent Hill.

Silent Hill: Homecoming also features an all-new soundtrack by acclaimed series composer Akira Yamaoka.

did you play Origins? im still sitting on it, that might be Yahtzee's fault. and yeah, im hoping for more mist and darkness too but weve seen very little so far.

Boogie - Fallout 3 is big enough for its own thread, sir!

Yes, on PS2. But the screen was clear you could actually see several feet in front of you (I'm talking like 40 or 50) the interiors of buildings were bright, there was no need for a flashlight. And the weapons damage system was every bit as bad as Yahtzee said it was. They're missing the point entirely.

aw, really? shit. 4's alright but perhaps the weakest of the series! id send you 2 if i could. seriously, you ever see it for cheap & wanna play an amazing horror game, i cant recommend it enough.

Oly ever played all the way through 2, 1 was ok, but I never beat it, and when I try, I have trouble because it hasn't aged well, I'd kill for a remake. 2 though was one of hte best Survival horror games ever, less because of the gameplay, which was quite shit, but more because the story was so damned disturbing and well put together. I have hopes for SH5, though The Collective (Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Xbox) are um, decent devs, the fact that the original music composer and producer are on board gives me hope. They say they are trying to get back to the psychological style of 2, so here's hoping.

• 2 months later...

ok, so this is some in-game footage that has a few things working against it: 1) its clearly narrated/subbed in russian, and b) its (hopefully) an early build, as the graphics obviously arent shining examples of current-gen tech.

but you look past that, and ive got great voice acting, sound, and the creatures do look like some scary shit. plus, even from just this, i wanna know what's going down in the plot.

Just wondering if im the only one that's excited from this...i know ive been optimistic the whole time, but this did help that.

• 2 months later...

Well, I found the first review, from Official Xbox Magazine on the wild west that is NeoGaf:

"Very good things come to those who wait, bludgeon, and patiently endure the sixth chapter in the Silent Hill series. But right from its plodding start Homecoming's stab in the soupy fog does itself no favors by committing a number of grievous sins. From its leaden, cheap-shots-aplenty combat to its wild-goose chase through gray, same-y hallways filled with useless, placebo doorways to a story that takes much to long to get off the ground, its entire first half feels like a death march through a clunky hot mess. Yes, we get that we're Alex Shepherd, a discharged soldier hot on the trail of his mising brother. In his path is a spaced-out mom and his mysteriously deserted hometown of Shepherd's Glen - a town with the motto "Where family comes first" rather than the more appropriate "Where broken locks and respawning enemies come first.". And we appreciate that there's something bigger and more sinister going on behind the occult-happy scenes that somehow involves the dark neighboring city of Silent Hill."

"But Homecoming puts all the intrigue and genuine spooks on hold until its second half, which genuinely ramps up the creep factor. And thankfully, by then, you may have gotten a grasp on the games revamped combat scheme - one that forces you to avoid as much conflict as possible due to quick enemy patterns and a somewhat slow-to-respond dodging/counterattack mechanic that usually ends in your taking cheap hits galore. Put those fights in cramped corners with a protagonist that controls to much like circa 2000, Lara Croft-ian tank, and we've suddenly got the urge to punch our TV set in low-hanging you know whats."

"But the good... no, great news is that Homecomings second half saves its bloodied bacon by more thoughtfully pacing out enemy encounters, giving you more than just one health drink and one box of pistol rounds to survive, and cranking up the foreboding atmosphere to breaking point. Once this happens, you'll immediately know - and from that moment on, it's a tense, bloodcurdling trip to tear the curtains off of Alex's unhappy, plot-twisty ride into hell. Sure your enjoyment relies heavily on whether you guess the story's big end reveal in the first 30 minutes (we didn't), but Homecomings half-hidden, melancholy little heart is shown only to those who look past its incredibly M-rated gory kicks and often frustratingly lopsided, questionably balanced exterior."

Final score was a 6.5, but honestly the text of the review got me to pre-order this bitch. It comes out in less than 2 weeks. I have high hopes for this one.

Here's the trailer from GC 2008:

that's hilarious, i took the same thing from that review earlier today. not a high score, but i still came off it pretty excited for the game - though i didnt take into account what bish said, that SH games dont often rate very high.

so hyped, i might yet try to finish off Origins, even though i totally ruined it with wiki/gamefaqs a while back.

• 3 weeks later...

shit, but this one's not gonna be easy; the enemies are whupping em up, and running from most of them seems pointless. its like a victory everytime i beat one without taking any damage.

bish -

just stuck in the cemetery, since there's apparently not much i can yet do in town. ive explored all over, cant figure out yet how to reach the gravedigger. ive used 1-2 health drinks already, got about 5 or so left, so i guess not too bad?

how fare you?

i see what some of the reviewers were saying about the combat being improved, but still very much wanting-to-throw-the-controller and all. i could really use a radio soon. still, im early on but i dont think it deserved some of the scores its getting, its definitely a silent hill game.

You're doing pretty well tthus far. I'm nearing the end of the game, I think...

As for the

cemetary, just explore EVERYWHERE, evetually you'll be able to take a diferent path that was locked before. You're trying to get to the Bartlett family mausoleum eventually, but some things have to happen before it opens up.

I find that the combat mixed with the tougher enemies means that I am more scared of the regular creatures in the game than I have ever been in a Silent Hill game. Been playing this pretty much nonstop, and it is definitely up there with 2 IMO, to be fair I haven't played many other SHs to completion, but this is very good.

• 2 weeks later...

finished, and as of late last night, saw all 5 endings.

its not dethroning 2 as the best of the series - dont think anybody expected that - but its ranked pretty high up there, by my count. I too enjoyed the environemnts, monster design was great, and the plot was freaky, disturbing shit, just like i wanted. its in my top 3, not sure if it edges out part 3 since i really dug that one, but ill say this: a lot of fans were concerned with screenshot appearances of pyramid head, and he was very tastefully used.

SH fans passing this one up are really missing out; its not a side-quest like Origins felt.

Archived