Hondo's Bar

Mass Effect

The NZA

51cIZXUTWaL._SS400_.jpg

you mightve heard Bishopcruz push this one, when he was around more, as its Bioware's newest action/RPG, in the vein of Knights of the Old Republic and such, though for me, its a closer mix of Oblivion & Starflight (old genesis/PC game).

The game's awesome. Characters are great, which changing events & dialogue based on who you take where (adding replay value, as ive opened up side-quests into certain character's pasts), and speaking of dialouge, its one of the game's strengths: you can choose from a dialogue tree, and respond to things kindly, neutral, or hostile, shaping your character more & more into either a charming guy, who gets discounts at stores, or a badass who skips most of the talk and gets what he wants.

That's the key here though: besides just creating my character all custom-like, a la Oblivion, and adding details of his past & such, ive yet to play an RPG that's main character gets to sound & act as close to what id want to say in such a situation as yet possible, and that adds a great deal for me here. The plot so far has been solid: future sci-fi with plot twists to keep you going, but even the normally mindless side-quests have kept me interested: its fun to see if my character can resolve anything from hostage situations to press leaks without the use of violence, or if i'm not leveled up enough to do so, and have to clean out the room & let the press hear a different story. Oh, and the grinding doesnt feel like grinding, since it goes to 3rd person shooter, with jedi-like abilities for biotics. The game makes me wish i had more time to put into it, and i can already see myselr replaying.

That said, its not without its flaws: one point is that its not very intuitive; something that wasnt bad for me, as i took some time to sort through things, but if youre looking for it to hold your hand (as many recent games do), its quite the rude awakening when the game gives you one brief warning on how shit works and then basically says "go nuts".

The more relevant one is both the loading times, and a sort've rushed, lack of polish at parts: the game may cleverly try to hide the loading with character dialogue in said elevators, but its still awfully noticeable, and really begs for the opportunity to install content to the drive (damn MS for not pushing this option yet!), as well as various glitches that i found early on, in addition to more screen tearing than even I'm used to seeing. There's times it feels like a great game being run on a PC not optimized for the settings it's on.

Fortunately, none of that's keeping me from playing it like crazy, and enjoying it more than any RPG ive played since uh, the few hours i put into Persona 3. I'm looking forward to one day giving KOTOR a go, but for those of you who dug Oblivion, or RPGs of any kind, you gotta give this one a go.

• 1 year later...

118394-notkermitbutclose.gif

huh, thought this one caught on with more of youse? for whatever reason, even panch didnt cotton to it. its fair, it took a while for me to embrace western RPGs this gen, but this and Fallout 3 did it. anyway.

if you were interested but missed out, better for you: a deal's on the way.

masseffect2discb.jpg

US retailer Gamestop is advertising a new Mass Effect Two-Disc Edition SKU to be released on February 10.

Aside from the game disc you’ll be getting a documentary, game trailers, music, design galleries and the Bring Down the Sky downloadable content. All for a paltry $19.99.

• 2 weeks later...

i guess i can kinda get why some (skeet/panch/dr gf) didnt take to this one; again, it was like my first western RPG but i dug the 80s-ish sci-fi setting, and found the story compelling. decisions, though forced, may not've changed much about the game overall (except for a major few towards the game's end), but i was enjoying the freedom the game allowed enough to not notice too much.

i just wish it ran smoother, was hoping an HDD install would improve that but ive heard its minimal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sadwrex.jpg

so uh, your old crew might be back, but as NPCs, i think?

All the squad members that you pick up are completely new characters. Some of them from races that have never been in your squad before.

It's going to be larger squad, a lot more varied and very, very different kinds of characters. Everyone that you can take with you is a different character from before.

In some cases, it is possible that squad members from ME1 could end up in your ME2 squad. Again, we're trying to approach this with respect for the characters. Nobody is being clumsily shoehorned in or casually written out. All surviving squad members are at least present as NPCs with important story roles.

so leaving wow proved that I only turn in one vice for another, I put in like 13 hours on this game yesterday... I know I'm late to the game but damn it's fun... except for the rover parts... fuck those >< also some kinda marking system for the planets and systems would be nice as there are alot of them to keep track of where you've been sometimes. Can't wait for part 2(wrex better be back damn it!)

Possibly one of the best things about the PS3 is that Mass Effect isn't on it. I've tried so many times to resume this game but it just refuses to endear itself to me in any fashion... Not even Seth Green could make it fun.

huh. i mean, i guess its been over a year and a half now, i remember having to look at planets to figure shit out but not go down to em - then again, i was achievement-whoring, i cant say that didnt get repetitive in almost any non-bioshock game.

• 4 weeks later...
BioWare makes some killer role-playing games, and PC and Xbox 360 owners are likely getting excited about the release of Mass Effect 2. But in an interview with Joystiq, BioWare’s Matt Atwood explained that EA owns the rights to Mass Effect, and therefore the game is not an exclusive for Microsoft.

BioWare has already announced that Dragon Age: Origins will be available on the PS3, along with the PC and Xbox 360. As far as the intellectual property itself, EA owns the rights to Mass Effect and the game could end up on the PlayStation 3.

A statement from Atwood certainly does not allude to the possibility PS3 owners will see Mass Effect 2. “We’ve only announced 360 and PC,” Atwood said. “At this point we’re really focused on those platforms.”

But given the fact that EA holds the rights to the game, and that BioWare is planning on releasing a PS3 version of Dragon Age: Origins, there is a chance Mass Effect 2 could make its way to Sony’s console.

it could port, unless MS put up cash for the first one's production. I just dont know how much it'll affect shit to have a sequel with no original title on the platform, but at least EA's competent on porting if it comes to it.

iphone game mini-review forthcoming!

• 6 months later...

Archived