Hondo's Bar

Secret Invasion

The NZA

Secret Invasion  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

SO to get back on topic, next issue's due this week or next(you guys should have it, won't be here til next week from what I understand), what're we expecting? I'm not big on these superhero mashups/chaotic world-ending fights, so I'm rooting for a couple more big reveals(specially with another issue after this one, though I imagine this one'll resolve everything and #8'll just be wrap up or as Baytor'd call it- Will Smith's Forgetmelaser restoring the status quo).

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone even still reading this? Read #7 and I'm pretty sure I know less now than I did going in. I think Bendis is addressing the 'anticlimax issue' of Civil War but kinda taking it too far. At this rate I see this finishing with the parlour room reveal and astonishment and OMG y'know what this means?!, but all taking place on the back of a Cosmic Unicorn or someshit.

LOL

No, I think this is going to segway into their new arc Dark Reign, or some such nonsense. All I know is,

once again, Tony Stark avoids disaster seconds before it happens. But that's gotta be some strong bullshit to effect fucking Thor.

We'll see what happens.

1 issue shy of.

arch: Dark Reign?

i think the all-out action of this one was, yeah, to fight the notion that its talky-talky and not enough punches, was fun and got some good spreads of everyone hitting things, highlight was prolly

seeing jessica jones take up the spandex again, that was cool, even cooler than Hawkeye finally remembering his weapon of choice.

you can pretty much see the Avengers coming back together to fit the status quo here, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Buncha greed cunts. An annual event generally means when it's over, ou at least let a year pass before starting a fucking new one.

Arch- I wholeheartedly disagree.

Duuh. Course that was Frost. While i like the idea of an opposite number to the Illuminati,

I coulda dug a break between events. I thought the ending was pretty weak especiall when it merely served as a platform for the next event. Who are these guys? DC?

I dug all events right up to the last page.

Seeing Tony Stark stripped of everything, & the disbanding of SHIELD as well as Thor's dis were great standalone events that really stood to change the status quo, seeing that all funneled into this terrible Dark Reign crap(it really seems like they're looking at DC's Final Crisis event) just trivialises it all to the end that, once the dust settles the powers that be are gonna be handing it all back to Stark with a sincere apology. UNLESS he doesn't survive this event(which I'm calling right now)

Having said that, I look forward to Warren Ellis penning a now-flagship marvel title.

oh, Shush: you just hate big events and crossovers as a general rule, borrowing a page from baytor. But this one was actually well done, and this story (as was told to us from the beginning) was part of a BIGGER story, culminating with Dark Reign.

I thought it was well handled and the ending was very well done.

and you've yet to even touch the first spoiler I put, something I believe you wanted.

Nah. High profile, longstanding member of the community sure, but who really cared about _____. Idunno, I just don't feel it's a high-impact death....

And how was this presented to us as a lead-on in the first place? Sure, it started out as a much larger story, but(and I hesitate to apply 'clumsy' to the mighty Bendis) well, shoddy storytelling let the masterful intrigue supposedly laid out over the last 4 years boil away to a generic slugfest within 4-5 issues. This event should really have had repurcussions stretching into the next few years, still rooting out sleepers a year or two down the track. As it is, Bendis has given any major marvel character(including one founding Avenger's) a plausible Deus Ex in the form of 'oh they're not really dead, the were a Skrull'.

Seriously, Dark Reign reeks only as a fucking stab at DC's Final Crisis event(and to a lesser extent the Society of evil or whatever the call 'emselves). It trivialises all the wonderful changes to the status quo in the end of SI(which btw were the only light at the end of a terribly told tunnel), and I fail to see how a secret villian alliance is worse than a race of fucking shapeshifting aliens infiltrating 616 over the last 4 years. In every sense of the word, the payoff on this event was significantly less than the build-up, hence my disdain. Add to that, they're now tacking on this shoddy crap about a villian alliance?

Ooh! Emma Frost is infact evil! OMG that wasn't a terrible shock to the system when Whedon did it in AXM! While I'm spoilering I reiterate: WHo cares about the Wasp except for Yellowjacket? And WTF was up with that cell with all the 'hidden' imposter hosts? I saw a fucking Iron Man in there and that didn't come up? Also, Mockingbird! Bitch was dead for years! She was a lesser version of Gwen Stacey to Parker but since when was she owed a comeback?! Lastly though, regarding everything being laid squarel on Stark- he being faulted for everything-and sure it could be Frost working telepathy- how is it then that the policies he introduced(registration, the 50 state initiative) are still being used? How the fuck else did Stark compromise security? Noone mentioned shit about Stark being held accountable for his armour being compromised. Lastly though, I really woulda liked to see Osbourne in power for a while before they pulled this shit, just to see some speculation regarding his intentions. Not this shoddy Batman villian 'now I can haz power I pull off the mask' business.

Terrible fucking storytelling. And no, Joel, I don't hate big events, I just like good ones that have lasting changes, not just BS fantasy sequences and slugfests(which HoM was both but STFU. It was awesome).

Rest In Peace Janet Pym, Wasp, Giant Woman, Avenger.

wow

I think this ending was pretty damned good.

was that Emma fucking Frost at that table?!

1)

yeah, im with skeet. if you're a fan of the classic avengers, this is prolly huge. for me? they shoulda taken wonder man with 'er.

i dont think its a cop-out death cause she's a big-named avenger, 2nd string but very much a core/life member. it just doesnt do much for me personally.

2)

yeah, i said the same freakin' thing.

skeet's also got a point here: they pulled this card in Astonishing X-Men, and another book hinted at it. its kinda overused, and she's so into Scott at this point id actually feel it was shark-jumping if she was seriously involved.

And how was this presented to us as a lead-on in the first place? Sure, it started out as a much larger story, but(and I hesitate to apply 'clumsy' to the mighty Bendis) well, shoddy storytelling let the masterful intrigue supposedly laid out over the last 4 years boil away to a generic slugfest within 4-5 issues. This event should really have had repurcussions stretching into the next few years, still rooting out sleepers a year or two down the track. As it is, Bendis has given any major marvel character(including one founding Avenger's) a plausible Deus Ex in the form of 'oh they're not really dead, the were a Skrull'.

ive said before: my opinion? Bendis does his best work on single vigilante books. events arent his strength, for me.

regardless, yeah that cop-out's on the table, but its always been there. shit, they used it on :misty: when was death for like 3 issues in the late 90s, you remember that?

Seriously, Dark Reign reeks only as a fucking stab at DC's Final Crisis event(and to a lesser extent the Society of evil or whatever the call 'emselves). It trivialises all the wonderful changes to the status quo in the end of SI(which btw were the only light at the end of a terribly told tunnel), and I fail to see how a secret villian alliance is worse than a race of fucking shapeshifting aliens infiltrating 616 over the last 4 years. In every sense of the word, the payoff on this event was significantly less than the build-up, hence my disdain. Add to that, they're now tacking on this shoddy crap about a villian alliance? Ooh! Emma Frost is infact evil! OMG that wasn't a terrible shock to the system when Whedon did it in AXM! While I'm spoilering I reiterate: WHo cares about the Wasp except for Yellowjacket? And WTF was up with that cell with all the 'hidden' imposter hosts? I saw a fucking Iron Man in there and that didn't come up? Also, Mockingbird! Bitch was dead for years! She was a lesser version of Gwen Stacey to Parker but since when was she owed a comeback?! Lastly though, regarding everything being laid squarel on Stark- he being faulted for everything-and sure it could be Frost working telepathy- how is it then that the policies he introduced(registration, the 50 state initiative) are still being used? How the fuck else did Stark compromise security? Noone mentioned shit about Stark being held accountable for his armour being compromised. Lastly though, I really woulda liked to see Osbourne in power for a while before they pulled this shit, just to see some speculation regarding his intentions. Not this shoddy Batman villian 'now I can haz power I pull off the mask' business.

phew...ok.

1) you shoulda known marvel's not gonna stop the event train just yet, surely not when sales/economy's down and yeah, DC's got their big one (?) in the works.

but the other side of this coin is, if everything went status quo, everybody high-fived and was cool with stark again? you'dve bitched just the same, me too. too much shit happened to not have fallout.

eh, mockingbird, yeah, i hope there's a few fans out there that're pleased.

the stark/starktech shit was really a) a vehicle for this all to've happened, with reed & him working on all this together, they had to've compromised reed (they showed how) for anything like this to have gone down. but b) a lot of the failures were setting up osborn as the new guy. i honestly think that woudlntve thrown you off as much if youve been reading Thunderbolts up to date; theyve been showing that coming for the last few issues or so.

yeah, its weird that the goblin's past deeds are forgiven here, but hey, he's had the keys to his own team for a while now and theyve strangely been doing great, despite the turmoil.

i really gotta see what they do with this event next week before i say shit. we can keep at this here, gonna make a new thread for the event though.

1)

yeah, im with skeet. if you're a fan of the classic avengers, this is prolly huge. for me? they shoulda taken wonder man with 'er.

i dont think its a cop-out death cause she's a big-named avenger, 2nd string but very much a core/life member. it just doesnt do much for me personally.

Agreed with, to an extent. I'm a classic Avengers fan, so the death is a definite step-up from Sue Dibny but still, said victim really only served as the heart & soul of an Avengers Roster we haven't seen in over 4 years.

regardless, yeah that cop-out's on the table, but its always been there. shit, they used it on :sarcasm: when was death for like 3 issues in the late 90s, you remember that?

That shit was gold in my book. Sure there's always been the option/access to Skrulls, but unless it's well-told most people will call shenanigans. That Astonishing Xmen mini lead into The Twelve, which still stands as one of my favourite Xmen stories ever, so well-told was well and truly checked. Even if all wasn't made clear in the regular Xmen title with the invocation of Apocalypse, Larsen & Yu shone bright in Wolverine #145(or was it 125?)

phew...ok.

1) you shoulda known marvel's not gonna stop the event train just yet, surely not when sales/economy's down and yeah, DC's got their big one (?) in the works.

but the other side of this coin is, if everything went status quo, everybody high-fived and was cool with stark again? you'dve bitched just the same, me too. too much shit happened to not have fallout.

eh, mockingbird, yeah, i hope there's a few fans out there that're pleased.

Well yeah, bad economy and enthusiasm-draining X-overs generally tell me that yes, Marvel'd ease off the throttle and let shit decompress. Honestly it feels like Bendis fucking sabotaged the last half of INvasion to make way for his new fucking agenda. Let's talk less about Dark Reign for a moment and get back to Invasion. A few folks have been saying for the last few issues that the series has had all the 'hit' of a quadraplegic on ecstasy and it's totally right. This event should have been much better!! Regarding Stark, sure he doesn't need to be welcomed back into the fold with the Kotter theme playing inna background, but as i said, barring psionic control the penalty was pretty friggin' severe. I can understand Stark Tech

losing all gov't tenders due to compromised control, and Thor was by no means outta line, but being removed as head of SHIELD? COnsidering the shit Fury's gotten up to over the years, and it should be public knowledge that Stark was drugged by the Skrulls(between purging his own system and getting his hand on uncompromised armour, I call the guy hero-not to mention I still say rego is right), one would expect a little more compassion, if even only from his Registration buddies.

PS- While I'm happy for my boy Clint that he has his chippie back, I'm still not sold on his ressurection let alone hers.

the stark/starktech shit was really a) a vehicle for this all to've happened, with reed & him working on all this together, they had to've compromised reed (they showed how) for anything like this to have gone down. but b) a lot of the failures were setting up osborn as the new guy. i honestly think that woudlntve thrown you off as much if youve been reading Thunderbolts up to date; theyve been showing that coming for the last few issues or so.

yeah, its weird that the goblin's past deeds are forgiven here, but hey, he's had the keys to his own team for a while now and theyve strangely been doing great, despite the turmoil.

i really gotta see what they do with this event next week before i say shit. we can keep at this here, gonna make a new thread for the event though.

I've read the first few Ellis Thunderbolts bits, so have the rough sketch of what they were shooting for so no, this was no suprise(hell, anyone reading SI could see it coming, specially given 'the shot heard around the world'). Still, from what I've read, Osbourne is still unstable as fuck(admittedly not up to date on Thunderbolts), so why him as opposed to just back to Hill? Sour grapes about her treatment of Cap?

exactly, they didnt pull a sue dinby or whoever. not a favorite of either of us, but the impact was there.

That shit was gold in my book. Sure there's always been the option/access to Skrulls, but unless it's well-told most people will call shenanigans. That Astonishing Xmen mini lead into The Twelve, which still stands as one of my favourite Xmen stories ever, so well-told was well and truly checked. Even if all wasn't made clear in the regular Xmen title with the invocation of Apocalypse, Larsen & Yu shone bright in Wolverine #145(or was it 125?)

you're the single reason i gotta read the 12 one day. i seriously stopped reading x books right after wolvy's death thing was reverted, until morisson (shutup) was on board. i was barely around past that bastion shit.

and yeah, youre thinking of wolvy # 145. i so wanna buy that issue back one day; actually, i enjoyed Larsen's run for the most part. shit, i think he started it with the galactus "fight" which was great.

Well yeah, bad economy and enthusiasm-draining X-overs generally tell me that yes, Marvel'd ease off the throttle and let shit decompress. Honestly it feels like Bendis fucking sabotaged the last half of INvasion to make way for his new fucking agenda. Let's talk less about Dark Reign for a moment and get back to Invasion. A few folks have been saying for the last few issues that the series has had all the 'hit' of a quadraplegic on ecstasy and it's totally right. This event should have been much better!! Regarding Stark, sure he doesn't need to be welcomed back into the fold with the Kotter theme playing inna background, but as i said, barring psionic control the penalty was pretty friggin' severe. I can understand Stark Tech

losing all gov't tenders due to compromised control, and Thor was by no means outta line, but being removed as head of SHIELD? COnsidering the shit Fury's gotten up to over the years, and it should be public knowledge that Stark was drugged by the Skrulls(between purging his own system and getting his hand on uncompromised armour, I call the guy hero-not to mention I still say rego is right), one would expect a little more compassion, if even only from his Registration buddies.

bish once argued it was odd to see Civil War start from Stamford, since we'd seen civie death on a much larger scale prior, like it was the marvel U behaving differently. i see what youre saying; most times people in NY there seem to just forgive & forget. shit, ive read crap like frank "the talent" tieri having :wovly: on camera assasinated a senator on the freakin' senate floor but apparently dude gets the benefit of the doubt that he's a sleeper cell, or its the hand, or wizards or something. dont even get me started on the free pass for everything he did when millar was writing that crappy agents of shield or whatever arc with gorgon. piss.

im gonna agree with you here and say the reason stark's gone from #1 to the new speedball (martyr edition) is the same reason i was told, as a kid, why the villain in die hard and other such great action flicks istn taken out early on when someone has the chance: the story wouldnt go forward and itd be a very short tale and blah blah something chaos magic.

PS- While I'm happy for my boy Clint that he has his chippie back, I'm still not sold on his ressurection let alone hers.

I've read the first few Ellis Thunderbolts bits, so have the rough sketch of what they were shooting for so no, this was no suprise(hell, anyone reading SI could see it coming, specially given 'the shot heard around the world'). Still, from what I've read, Osbourne is still unstable as fuck(admittedly not up to date on Thunderbolts), so why him as opposed to just back to Hill? Sour grapes about her treatment of Cap?

yes, unstable as fuck. he donned the goblin getup like 4 or 5 issues back and damn near killed half his team. this should be...interesting.

in the vein of my last weak answer, he's on the hill 'cause if fury was back already this next event'd be "mostly illuminated reign, where things are more or less ok and angst aside, everyone's getting along so we're back to just single issues, hopefully that jay kid in oz is happy cause we're closing our doors at the end of this fiscal year." its not much of an event, but wait till you see the ending!

ps i too am glad DD's not in these events. when a writer or two gives somebody a genuine feel, i hate seeing lesser people use him as just another toy in the sandbox and bring none of that character with him, personally.

in the vein of my last weak answer, he's on the hill 'cause if fury was back already this next event'd be "mostly illuminated reign, where things are more or less ok and angst aside, everyone's getting along so we're back to just single issues, hopefully that jay kid in oz is happy cause we're closing our doors at the end of this fiscal year." its not much of an event, but wait till you see the ending!

then he'd piss and moan about how shoddy planning and not enough big events to compete with DC got them into the mess, the cunts

btw, Nick? :love:

Oh, please don't compare 'who the fuck? I didn't even know dingby was married...or that he had a fucking name and that anyone cared for him at all' to

Wasp

. it's insulting

Archived