Hondo's Bar

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

bishopcruz

From Kotaku

Konami may be bringing the Silent Hill series to the Wii, giving the Nintendo faithful their first stateside taste of foggy psychological horror. The game is rumored to be a remake of the PlayStation original.

According to a report from VG247, Konami's next Silent Hill outing will be a port of the decade-old first entry in the series, planned for the Wii and PSP. The site points to UK developer Climax, responsible for Silent Hill: Origins, as the folks handling the remake.

No word yet from Konami, nor any other confirming sources, so take it as rumor.

Could be cool, especially if they flesh out the story, which IMO was a bit nonsensical. Unlike 2, or 5, it never came together in the end.

Heres to hoping it gets a PS release somewhere too. considering 1 goes for $40 used and its one of the last ones i was trying to track down, this could be cool.

ok, so the story was all over between the cult/drugs and such, but as my first real psychological horror venture, i give it much of a pass. I know this sounds odd, too, but having run through 3 also added a bit to it, something i again cant recommend enough you do when you're in a horror mood.

one day, you're gonna stop comparing other horror titles to part 2. its an unfair barometer. you're like the hip-hop fans who go on about nas and biggie never touching on their original works.

Heres to hoping it gets a PS release somewhere too. considering 1 goes for $40 used and its one of the last ones i was trying to track down, this could be cool.

ok, so the story was all over between the cult/drugs and such, but as my first real psychological horror venture, i give it much of a pass. I know this sounds odd, too, but having run through 3 also added a bit to it, something i again cant recommend enough you do when you're in a horror mood.

one day, you're gonna stop comparing other horror titles to part 2. its an unfair barometer. you're like the hip-hop fans who go on about nas and biggie never touching on their original works.

Look I'm not saying that the story had to be as good as 2, I didn't expect it to be. What DID bother me was that the story was borderline incomprehensible without a FAQ, and I still say there is practically no way to get hte best ending without a guide. And unlike SH2, the crap endings are really crap.

There were some moments of brilliance, and true creep factor, but of the three SHs I have played, it's my least favorite.

Look I'm not saying that the story had to be as good as 2, I didn't expect it to be. What DID bother me was that the story was borderline incomprehensible without a FAQ, and I still say there is practically no way to get hte best ending without a guide. And unlike SH2, the crap endings are really crap.

There were some moments of brilliance, and true creep factor, but of the three SHs I have played, it's my least favorite.

I dunno, I was able to follow the story fine, though yeah, getting the good ending without looking it up isn't too likely. And for me, the first one is the best of the first 3(never played the later ones, dunno why), and still a high water mark in the whole "survival horror" games.

From Kotaku

Could be cool, especially if they flesh out the story, which IMO was a bit nonsensical. Unlike 2, or 5, it never came together in the end.

Making the plot more sensical just isn't Silent Hill.

Can't imagine them doing much with this, in fact I figure they're choosing Wii and PSP on account of their low graphical standards. They'll hopefully update the models and textures, but that'll probably be just about it. That said for me a lot of the appeal of the first game is the shitty graphics, Silent Hill is a game that had a profound effect on me, and I like it the way it is, a half realised thing from an almost forgotten time.

again, you gotta play the others. i dig 3, 4...great idea, ill let you draw your own conslusions on its exectuion. still, i cant bring myself to finish Origins, just felt as though id done it before, and better. if 1 is still bottom of your list then, im gonna rack up at least some of that to it not aging well for you. i know i said mosta this in person last time, but SH was huge for when it came out, so it gets a pass on a lotta stuff the way RE's dialogue and hte like gets from me.

woo, Jont's back! :kotter:

• 1 month later...

more details

harry.jpg

While Nintendo Power managed the official announcement of the Wii remake of the original Silent Hill as Shattered Memories, Konami handles announcing it for PlayStation 2 and PSP.

As mentioned in McWhertor's post on the Wii version, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a retelling of the original Silent Hill game, with the objectives shuffled about and the dialogue changed to keep gamers on their toes. Harry Mason is still looking for his missing daughter, but how he goes about finding her has definitely changed.

Especially in the Wii version, where the Wii remote will be used as a flashlight, a cell phone with GPS mapping capabilities (turn left to evil), and to pick up an manipulate objects to assist in puzzle solving.

Also new to the series is a psyche profile element, which will monitor the player's behavior - where they explore, the dialogue they choose - and modify visual elements and Harry's reactions as the game goes on. Depending on how it is implemented, it could me no two players have exactly the same experience, and if they do, they should totally get married.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories will be release this fall for the Wii, PlayStation 2, and PSP.

alright, so im kinda all for this. i do agree with bish that SH1 graphically (like most ps1 games) doesnt age well, and again, its too freakin expensive.

if theyre gonna do a wii version, the wiimote as a flashlight sounds kinda fun. now, the end bits about things changing based on your actions sounds...intriguing, but could fuck things right up if not done well. i always liked the notion of Harry being a normal guy slipping into madness as the game progresses, despite it not really showing you that as well as it couldve. is this gonna be more reflected in how much you chose to explore/read random things, or will it be a moral decision thing like SH5? the last paragraph seems to imply both, but id like to know more on the details.

To an extent, its not such a huge break - you always had multiple endings based on how much you did/explored etc, but there was usually like 4-5 endings tops. the notion that "no 2 games will be the same" has been sold in a lotta titles and i dont know that its ever been true, just weird to see it tied to a title like this.

either way, graphical update to SH1 is likely a day-1 purchase for me.

So it sounds like they are Mixing SH1 with elements of Eternal Darkness? Interesting, but could go a bit overboard. IS there any word on who the developer is? Team Silent is long gone, and I'd heard rumors that the guys who did SH:H might have been pulled off the series or something, which would be a shame.

I also hate the new design for Harry, also, is that a cell phone I see? I tend to not like updates that move the year the game came out forward, but we'll see.

Team Silent is long gone,

wait, they are? when did that happen?

and yeah, its a cell - read the details i posted, its apparently a part of gameplay. i skipped over it & the GPS bit cause its ah, worrisome.

I also hate the new design for Harry, also, is that a cell phone I see? I tend to not like updates that move the year the game came out forward, but we'll see.

It's a fucking iPhone and Harry now has glasses.

:sarcasm:

Steve Jobs may be the main character in this game!

• 5 months later...

yeah, you can skip past the first minute and a half or so of the player being scared of the bear (?).

conceptually, ok, there's definite similarities but...this looked like it had more in common with parts of Condemned 2 and mebbe Alan Wake? dont get me wrong, it looks scary enough to warrant a play in my book, but "re-imagining" doesnt even seem an accurate description. the menu/framework of a video camera, the phone's use, all that platforming, the spamming of enemies...its been a while since i played SH 1, but i dont remember anything like this.

even the conversations with the cop (and his wife...?) are weird here. im hoping this is a later level, but even then, it feels like a different game entirely, based on this. Again, that's not a bad thing if its good horror, but it feels like these devs saw the controversy around Silent Hill: Homecoming and just said "fuck Team Silent, let's do our own thing."

game's due out nov 5th or so, so id say we're looking at (basically) the final product.

Sweet! Oh man, I can't wait to get this!

Dude, also, for the record I was there when Nick played SH1... Late at night... In the silence of an FIU Apartments dorm room, during the summer, with the stereo cranked... Yeah, seeing SH1 for the first time, you're lucky if you don't need to change your underwear. Fun times. Then we, noble people that we are, gave Spiffy a tolerance to alcohol. Great times.

i dunno, id read something like that earlier on but im not sure im seeing it here...kinda vague, no?

the last, longer trailer was again reassuring...the dev talk outlines the huge differences (i think he said there'd be no fighting the creatures at all, basically? wow). its hard to call that Silent Hill 1 at all, at this point im almost wishing they changed the dude's name and made this another spinoff like Oirigins.

still, looks good for what it is. with Fatal Frame 4 apparently not coming over (at least, officially!), its good to see more horror games this gen.

• 2 months later...

1) this is ambitious...and the game's initial warning plus its opening scenes show that the dev gets its all about the psychological. im totally on board for this.

2) remember the part in 1 where Harry goes in a back alley looking for Cheryl, and basically gets killed by faceless babies? they're overdoing that part. there's way too much emphasis on running/fleeing for the control setup i have here. SH is supposed to be confusing, not "where the fuck am i going? this shit's endless GODDAMMIT OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT THE WALL AGAIN FUCK IM DEAD" etc. i hope i find my way before i quit and the game doesnt focus on these bits, they dont play to the hardware's strengths nearly as much as the Fatal Frame-y parts and other elements theyve introduced do.

Archived