Hondo's Bar

Fallout: New Vegas

Thelogan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man this game is fun. Second verse definitely same as the first, but something I'm noticing with New Vegas that sets it apart from a lot of the games I play is that it gives you the genuine option of finishing quests in multiple ways keyed to your play style. Negotioation, hacking, frontal assault and stealth are all tools in your arsonal not just for grinding but for actual objectives. I'm loving it. Plus, has anyone else spotted Uncle Ben & Aunt Beru's dessicated corpses in Nipton? As Dr Steve said: Star Wars pop Culture references the best pop culture references.

see, that sounds like exactly what i wanted from Obsidian here. i really like the idea of games where you can go about things any number of ways, and the story can change/etc like Deus Ex, but doing so with the Fallout 3 engine sounds awesome, can't wait for this one.

Oh, forgot to mention Hardcore mode is awesome. Phantasy Star 2(i think) gave me my first taste of regulating sleep/food patterns and I've been wanting to see it explored further since. and despite the infurating lack of purified water around and therefore either being irradiated or dehydrated, it adds a great new dimension to gameplay!

Really? I beat the game and you don't let me finish stuff I started again Fallout? I suppose an add-on for $10 will come out and you expect me to forgive you? How bout that company that made you gets off their ass and makes a patch worth releasing, that say fixes a broken game. Not duct tape it together. Seriously, it was crashing every 20 goddamn minutes. and for me palying Fallout, that is like every 5 minutes.

it is fun though

I'm willing to bet you're playing on PS3, huh? I hear you guys got a pretty bum deal what with a 5 gig install & more issues than Detective Comics. Worst I've encountered thusfar is a corrupted autosave(thankfully I had a manual one not far back) and some, I guess you call 'em 'clipping' issues? Where there's enemies stuck in the ground and whatnot? Funniest I've seen is an invincible gecko that sounded like a goddamned freight train and was perfectly stationary.

yup, I mean we got that last patch too, but it didn't seem to do much. Heh, I'm not even getting the funny glitches. Its just the standard lockups for me :/ the game is great though. and hopefully whatever dlc comes out will extend the life of it. the bugs are my main prob :p

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only an hour or two in, but I just don't care about the protagonist. It was my care for the protagonist that dragged me into the first one, and that was in large part thanks to the fantastic introductory section. This time it's all... "You're a courier. You got shot. Get revenge now."

I really just don't care about what's going on. The world in Fallout 3 was excellently crafted and you had the right amount of intrigue pulling you into exploring. This time, though, the plot is so threadbare and my connection to the character so weak that I really don't feel like deepending into it twelve hours at a time.

Hardcore mode probably isn't helping any.

NZA- you won't be disappointed by the writing/dialogue. Frankly, this plays like a cross between Borderlands & Fallout 3(for me). There's so much busywork and smaller quests to keep you occupied, the sheer volume of workloads/tasklists reminds me of Oblivion, but they're not arbitrarily handed out everywhere you go. Talking to Dr Steve for example, he's having a completely different experience playing through than I am, from how to resolve common quests, to what's actually available to either of us, right through to the core engine that DOJ references as being so generic. One of my favourite things thusfar is the alliance or affiliation system, where instead of just being 'positive', 'nuetral' or 'negative' there are many shades of grey and the many, many varied factions will treat you differently accordingly. Playing this game makes me feel more like the man with no name than any I've played before it.

As for compelling story, I play the Borderland defence which is, I don't pay attention to a story unless it truly engages me, and fuck all stories do. Fallout 3 I cared not for the main quest and simply progressed to level up, and appreciate that this game basically puts us in their sandbox with the tools & a few of their friends, letting us do as we will without having to follow what they consider to be the focus. Playing from my current standpoint, I can see this game ending one of about 4 ways(maybe more), depending on who I choose to side with and how I carry on the rest of the way, and that truly fascinates me.

One of my favourite things thusfar is the alliance or affiliation system, where instead of just being 'positive', 'nuetral' or 'negative' there are many shades of grey and the many, many varied factions will treat you differently accordingly. Playing this game makes me feel more like the man with no name than any I've played before it.

thank christ for this, this is what im looking for. i heard about this to death in fallout 1/2 and never got around to playing them; having part of the original Black Isles crew around to implement that on top of an engine that already grew on me is really what im showing up for.

replaying elements of Fallout 3 completely pulled back the curtain on the wizard, so to speak: knowing i could have megaon blown up for the amusement of the rich, then keep giving bottles of water to a homeless dude and have all be forgiven eventually...that shit ruined a great deal of the illusion for me. black/white ethics scales, i guess im more forgiving in Jade Empire, KOTOR etc cause they're last gen, but we oughta be moving forward with these things or not bother with decisions at all (the irony here is that older C/WRPGs are said to do this better than present ones; again original Fallouts).

Playing from my current standpoint, I can see this game ending one of about 4 ways(maybe more), depending on who I choose to side with and how I carry on the rest of the way, and that truly fascinates me.

another high point. bish used to trip me out saying Falluot 2 could be beaten in minutes if you go about it one way, or take a great deal of time if you pursue many others. having a smaller map than 3 isn't going to bother me one bit if the world/options are more wide open, and manage to be at all compelling.

The key thing of this game is, there is no unilateral Karmic scale. All there is is how each faction percieves you and though it's something I only touched on breifly, I love the variety of factions involved in this thing. I can't remember the precedent that comes to mind, but you're basically in the middle of this political landscape and botching or nurturing shit as you see fit with real consequence. I think this is what Molyneux was shooting for all along with Fable.

• 7 months later...

oh shit, son!

Fallout: New Vegas for $12.50 on Direct2Drive, registers on Steam

so bought. was waiting for steam's summer sale in the coming weeks, but it's not gonna beat that price.

*edit holy shit, use this code:

You can get an extra 15% off that with this code:

224C640C8ECEFB78387D21993D4CFBA0

and it's $10.63. that's early christmas gift money.

ps if that code doesn't work, this will, i just used it. click here for yourrupe.

• 1 month later...

Things To Do In Fallout When You Get Bored

or "How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The PC"

hit the tilde key ( ~ ) and open up the console menu

player.setscale 20 - This makes you roughly 12 stories tall, and your giant stride will have you traversing the wasteland at breakneck speed.

setgs fJumpHeightMin 100 - Makes you able to leap somewhat in proportion to your massive frame.

player.additem 00162019

- Gives you a missile launcher and a heavy incinerator

player.additem 000E2BFC

tgm - god mode. Because you still take normal falling damage with your increased height, and otherwise you'll occasionally casually step off a mountain only to trip and die in a crumpled landslide of meat. It also gives you infinite ammo and you won't have to reload.

Now, you're fucking Godzilla with infinite missiles/ fireballs. You stroll around and reduce everything you see to ash.

Optional: pretend you're Mehrunes Dagon and shout threats of destruction/ demand sacrifices, and wait for someone to turn into a dragon and fight you (protip: they won't. You'll be "forced" to cleanse the non-believers).

Oh god, if only this game had destructible buildings.

Fuck! Even better:

0015FFF4 - GRENADE MACHINE GUN! Exactly what it sounds like. Rapid fires 40mm grenades.

00158307 - incendiary ammo for it

You have to put a space and "QUANTITY" after those codes too. 1 for weapons, but I usually just put ammo at like 5000 or something.

The point, 'Baytor, is to be AWESOME. I made a character just to use cheats with. Spent about 30 minutes cherry picking all the perks I wanted. Maxed out his SPECIAL and a few skills. Loaded him up with unique weaponry I've never even heard of, changed his carry weight to some hypothetical number with a bunch of "0"'s at the end, gave him a million caps for shiggles and went on my merry way.

PC version seems very well patched. The only time I've gotten a freeze is when I was using "movetoqt" to instantly teleport to my quest targets in rapid succession.

I did get stuck in scenery a few times when I was in Giant-Man mode, but I just used no-clip to Kitty Pryde through it.

Archived