Hondo's Bar

Left 4 Dead 2

C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Didn't see this one coming!

left_4_dead_the_parish.jpg

Valve turning out a sequel in under a year!? Would've been thrilled at the anouncement of a new campaign for L4D1, let alone a full blown sequel.

Hey Nick, maybe you should have held out a little longer to trade for this one! :FHD:

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

I kinda wish they named this "Left 4 Dead Too". Replacing the number "2" with the word "Too" serving as a of reversal of the first game's replacing of the word "for" with the number "4". The switch in the first one was a play on words (numbers?), as the "4" alludes to the fact that there are 4 survivors. The switch for the second would also make sense as this new batch of survivors is "also" left for dead.

It's just the sort of thing that amuses me to no end.

I know, I'm a big dork.

well, 25,000 signatures in to the L4D2 petition, Valve responds - said petition strikes panch as a foreign concept: why wouldnt you want to pay $60/year for new zombie-slaying? Thing is - and this is way more the PC kids than console, sadly - Vavle's known for supporting its games a bit before moving on, at the very least with maps and map editors. Anyway, heres what they said:

"Doing a sequel in one year is new for Valve. But providing ongoing support for our titles after the initial launch isn't - it has been part of our philosophy since Half-Life was released ten and half years ago," said Valve president Gabe Newell in a statement to Kotaku. "We see no reason to change that and will continue to support the over three million customers in the L4D community."

"E3 is a trade event where developers and publishers come to announce new games for the coming year. L4D2 — like any new product — requires an appearance at the show," Newell said.

Valve says, it will continue to support the original with continued updates.

"Some in the community are concerned that the announcement of L4D2 implied a change in our plans for L4D1. We aren't changing our plans for L4D1."

Whether that will allay fears that Left 4 Dead will be left behind by some community members remains to be seen, but Valve notes that it hasn't abandoned the original.

"In addition to the recently released Survival Pack, we are releasing authoring tools for Mod makers, community matchmaking, 4x4 matchmaking, and more new content during the coming months for L4D1," Newell says. "We also agree with our customers that there needs to be an interoperability plan for players of L4D1 and L4D2, as multiplayer games are driven by the cohesiveness of their community."

When we first went hands-on with the Steam version of Left 4 Dead 2 at E3, we felt that the title felt awfully similar to the original. Some of that may simply be due to incremental updates already revealed. As Valve's Chet Faliszek told us at the time, there are still plenty of details left to be doled out, including information on new weapons, two new Special Infected types and more.

Faliszek said at E3 that he very much understood the "gut reaction" to the uncharacteristically Valve move to launch such a quick follow-up. But, he said, as people learn more about the game over the next few months, they'll see why "none of the additions [in Left 4 Dead 2] are trivial."

There it is. pretty sure that support still means "for the PC", but we'll see.

dont get me wrong, if 2's good, ill grab it one day as well - for $30 or less.

and cmon, DoJ played HL2. even nick played HL2. great game, i just dont get the praise for the story...but im still waiting on Black Mesa edition remake to finally play 1 one day.

Valve is anti-firefighter, just like uh, who wants to be a superhero!!

left_4_dead_2_survivors.jpg

2 Left 4 Dead 2 Survivors That Didn't Make The Cut

Don't worry about Left 4 Dead 2's change in cast and character. Valve's fairly certain you're going to come around to the new cast, despite your current attachments to Francis, Louis, Bill and Zoey.

Valve's Chet Faliszek gave us a quick run down of new quartet of Survivors you'll eventually fall in love with in Left 4 Dead 2. Don't worry, everyone will feel a little uncomfortable at first, as you'll meet the new Survivors when they meet each other—and when they meet some of their first infected.

Faliszek said that he's not particularly worried about fan apprehension over a bunch of new humans strolling in and taking on zombie slaying duties. The Left 4 Dead team has spent a considerable amount of time concepting, body casting and voice casting the new stars: Nick the gambler, Rochelle the cable news reporter, Coach the... coach, and Ellis the mechanic.

Valve has tapped some better known voice talent for the sequel, highlighting the vocal appearance from two established actors: Chad "Cutty" Coleman from The Wire, who plays Coach, and Eric Ladin from Generation Kill, the voice of Ellis.

Two characters that didn't make it into the final version were a female DMV worker—amiable, not stereotypically surly—and a fireman, someone who would know how to expertly use those axes players can now pick up for melee attacks.

But the scrapped DMV employee just wasn't turn out to be as interesting as originally hoped, dashing Faliszek's dreams of being able to appeal to real-life DMV workers that he "was the guy who put a nice DMV employee into our game."

That firefighter just didn't seem to fit into the world of Left 4 Dead, Faliszek said, not like the new cast, a group of Survivors who will have a more noticeable arc. Expect characters to change as they progress through the game's five announced scenarios.

Perhaps the most interesting, Nick the gambler, already scores points for referencing the character G.O.B. from the hilarious Arrested Development. But it's his more opportunistic side, a man with designs on profiting somehow from the zombie apocalypse, that should be interesting to observe in action.

OUTRAGE!! /boycott. where's that petition?!

that said, if the wounds heal by november or whenever, having cutty from The Wire voice the Coach means i got dibs.

• 5 months later...
lotta praise for L4D2 (its out now, yeah?), new atmospheres sound top-notch, new infected and Scavenger modes sound great as well. We're overdue for a Hondo's L4D1 game as it is, anyone jumping on this/gonna find out if we can still somehow play together? i remember reading that idea a while back, not sure if they stuck with it.

This game is fucking awesome. More fun than the first one. The new infected are fun to play and lend themselves well to teamwork. In one of my games I Jockey'd a survivor and ran him towards my boomer teammate, who vomited on him, and then I ran him off the edge of an apartment complex. The Smoker on the roof tongue snagged the guy that went to help, making the other two survivors choose who they're gonna help or split up. They chose to help the guy the Smoker had and our 4th teammate, a Charger, ran thru all 3 of 'em when they bunched up. So much fun.

The addition of Melee weapons really adds a lot to the game as well, gives it a totally different feel. You feel like quite the badass when you manage to find a Katana or a Chainsaw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

incoming DLC brings new campaign, plus the roster from L4D 1 back to the fold!

Valve has revealed the first downloadable addition to Left 4 Dead 2, a new episode named "The Passing." The campaign, set after the events of "Dead Center," features a meet up between Ellis, Coach, Rochelle, and Nick and Bill, Francis, Zoey and Louis. "The Passing" offers more than just a friendly Survivor get-together, adding one new "uncommon common" infected type, new weapons—one melee, one firearm—and "a new co-operative challenge mode of play." The new campaign will naturally be playable in Survival, Versus and Scavenge modes in addition to that still unannounced newer mode.

The new episode is "set in a small town in rural Georgia," according to Valve's release, keeping players in the role of Left 4 Dead 2's cast "as they meet with the L4D1 characters." Could "The Passing" offer 4-plus-4 cooperative multiplayer action, or are we just aiming too high?

Left 4 Dead 2's "The Passing" is scheduled for release in "early spring" for the PC and Xbox 360. Pricing has not yet been announced.

PS Logan...Space Cowboy, bishop & myself have been trying to setup a Hondo's game, you down? im moving soon so if its not this week, it might not be till after the holidays, for me.

• 2 years later...

we almost had a fucking Cabin in the Woods DLC

spoiler tags for people not having seen possibly this year's best movie yet

We actually were going to do a downloadable L4D2 expansion pack, where you'd fight in the Cabin world, but then MGM went bankrupt so the delay squashed it. But the people at Valve were still cool enough to let us use some of their monsters to fill the cubes in the background (I had a lot of cubes to fill.)

By the way -- the game was gonna be amazing. You were gonna be able to play in both the upstairs "Cabin in the Woods" world and the downstairs "facility" world with all the monsters. Believe me, I HATE all video games based on movies, they always suck, but porting Cabin into Left For Dead felt like the right fit. It pains me that it didn't happen.

jpBdSh.jpg

FjaeGh.jpg

• 6 years later...