Hondo's Bar

Batman: Reborn

It was with either Millar or Morrison and was pretty much the earliest incarnation of the Ultimates(Jarhead Avengers foils which blew our minds back in the day, but the Ultimates were able to play it less cautious around topics like not-Cap trying to cornhole the Midnighter to assert dominance). The people looked crap but the Carrier & occasional robot looked amazing. How the fuck was Pat Lee getting more work than this guy back in the day?

• 1 month later...

Read the first two issues of the return of Bruce Wayne, and that shit is beyond awful. If awful was gang-raped by three badly drawn Rob Liefeld clones while Jeph Loeb orchestrates events from behind the scenes stroking the corpse of his dead son like a white cat/bond villian, the product of that unholy union might look to this book and shit on it from a great height.

Man you do it to yourself, unless I've been doing it wrong this last 7 years and your pimpery is entirely backward. I mean, I tell you The Ultimates 3 features a cover with Wolverine fighting a T-rex and that it's not even worth the rubberneck and you rush on that shit. I tell you this book is so awful it makes anus-blisteringly bad seem like the lesser of two evils, and here you go again.

You on the other hand, pimp up this goddamned Brubaker Xmen book like it's the second fucking coming(and given his work on Batman & Cap it bloody well should have been) and it turns out to be arse. I think I'm just going to run all comic book opinions through a Bizarro translator from now on.

perspective, man.

if you read x-books in the 90's and now, 10 years later, one of comics' finer writers is finally gonna tie up the last of cleremont's dangling plotlines - and 1 issue in, he already killed the irish member! - you'd be thinking things were coming up roses.

yeah, plane blew up at the end of the first issue, thats most of what i recall...kinda cheap death, he's like the one x-man they havent brought back yet. wait, its cheating if you didnt read the book! if you read it & forgot, that might speak more to the book's quality (or your current state) than anything. interesting criteria you got.

Ahh I'm just hungover as shit right now, but been trying to recall where it was I saw Banshee bite it, and something I miss of the pre-internet days was when you wanted to recall this kinda info, just siting & unearthing your backissues to find that shit. Something I still enjoy doing occasionally.

that is admittedly one of the few things i miss about having a shit-ton of longboxes.

then it comes time to move, and i want to burn my trades and just put .cbrs onto a laptop/ipad or something and be done with the mess. but yeah, i used to enjoy fact-hunting as well.

• 2 months later...

i read the same abysmal first issue of Return of Bruce Wayne as you, so im not following it one bit - pretty sure it's this year, though, and not even far off. another look:

o8vybl.jpg

other variants:

InfringementJimLee.jpg

New-Batsuit.jpg

Andreas+Batman+toy+super+hero+figue.jpg

suck it, bat-fans! evillaugh.gif

Upon reflection I don't see the need to even bring Bruce wayne back, or at least as Batman. DC has an opportunity to buck a serious(and well-justified) stereotype of the medium here by leaving him at least out of the cowl. Dick's been groomed for this since puberty and is thusfar proving to be more than competant at filling the legacy. He has the Wayne fortune @ his disposal & a ward of his own, this isn't exactly a Clone Saga dilemna here. There's no real hole left by Bruce Wayne IMO.

Thoughts?

it'd be fucking ballsy. bishopcruz would adore it too, i'm sure.

kinda ties into why im happy to see Steve as Super Soldier in Secret Avengers, and the torch passed to Bucky - advancing continuity can be cool when the foundation's laid down well, and based on what id read of bat-books lately, they've more than set that up: dick isn't azreal, this is something that could totally happen and become status quo.

it won't, though, even without the movie franchise - for reasons that Warren Ellis says better than me. but i think it could work.

haha...dude's good. that book i linked is a collection of his columns he used to do over at Comic Book Resources: half my ideas for a comic book shop and a lot of my understanding of writing & the problems with franchise characters started there. i think i got it at a $1 trade table at megacon years back, the man understands his respective industry better than a lot of my favorite writers/artists seem to, i think.

Upon reflection I don't see the need to even bring Bruce wayne back, or at least as Batman. DC has an opportunity to buck a serious(and well-justified) stereotype of the medium here by leaving him at least out of the cowl. Dick's been groomed for this since puberty and is thusfar proving to be more than competant at filling the legacy. He has the Wayne fortune @ his disposal & a ward of his own, this isn't exactly a Clone Saga dilemna here. There's no real hole left by Bruce Wayne IMO.

Thoughts?

He could do the batman beyond thing and stay in the cave full time, but with oracle out there it would be redundant.

Edited by Drifter

It'd be cool to see him assume the Bruce Wayne life of leasuire and maybe be a cameo/outside consultant on the odd case. Wait! Better than that, a PI agency or something where he does his whole Matches Malone(but not as Matches Malone, obviously) thing full time.

We'll see how it goes, I know the new big series is supposed to be something called Batman Inc. Maybe its Bruce training Batmen around the world or something? Batman and Robin will continue after Morrison with Tomasi writing, and I hope to god its still Dick in that one as Tomasi does a great job with the character. In other news, the Batman Beyond comic is awesome.

• 4 months later...

Ykypr.jpg

detective-comics-annual-12-007.jpg

Batman incorporated still doesn't sound like a great idea, but...some interesting stuff's come from it at least.

#1 euy0l.jpg

Comics Alliance article - http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/1...-muslim-paris/

Huston's blog - http://www.publiusforum.com/2010/12/...pean-vacation/

Green's blog - http://astuteblogger.blogspot.com/20...man-hires.html

Quote: Another day, another racist freakout over non-white superheroes. But unlike the hilariously dishonest racism we saw when the Council of Conservative Citizens called for a boycott of Marvel's Thor movie on account of a mythical Norse god's depiction as a black man, a recent round of conservative attacks on Nightrunner -- DC's Muslim Batman of Paris -- are prejudicial in a more insidious way. While the CCC put forth a laughably tenuous justification for their outrage, it was with respect to one specific character in one specific context. The argument against Nightrunner, led by conservative blogger Warner Todd Huston, is based on the bigoted belief that a Muslim superhero is by definition an exercise in deceitful political correctness, and that Muslims are natively evil.

Introduced in this month's Detective Comics Annual #12 and Batman Annual #28, Nightrunner is a 22-year-old Algerian Muslim who's lived in Paris his entire life (it seems reasonable to assume he was born in France, but at the very least he was raised there). Born Billai Asseiah, the character is uncommonly adept at the highly YouTubeable gymnastic form known as parkour. That and Asseiah's sense of justice make him an ideal recruit for Bruce Wayne's new Batman, Inc. initiative, whereby he franchises Batmen to cities all over the world.

that's kind've a sharp costume, i can support that.

*edit: holy shit, nice! this week:

BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #1 $3.99

ymkc1.jpg

Quote: Comics superstar David Finch takes full creative control (both writing and illustrating!) on this brand-new Batman monthly series! Joined by the best of the best – Scott Williams – on inks, this new series is sure to be on everyone's must-read pile! Delving into the more supernatural and esoteric areas of Gotham City, the 6-part storyline explores the horrific murder of one of Bruce Wayne's childhood friends…and the terrible ramifications the brutal crime has on Batman's life!