Hondo's Bar

Batman: Reborn

I know that just about everyone here loves Marvel more than DC, and let's be honest, they have had good reason to in recent years, where the good stuff that DC has put out has been either in the secondary titles or Green Lantern. Morrison's run on Batman has gotten mixed reviews, and while RIP did work out in the end, it was still a bit hard to get into.

I have been a fan of Batman since my 10 year old self first saw the Burton film in 1989, that love was cemented by the animated series, which is still the best animated series ever produced by a western studio. As far as the comics were concerned, Batman has often been hit or miss, but has still produced some of the best stories of all time, I mean it's easy to point at classics like DKR and Year One, and hell even Long Halloween was over a decade ago. In recent years the books have been without much direction, and while Detective Comics, written by Dini has been almost nonstop win, most of the other side books haven't.

Well, now Bruce is dead(ish), and Dick Grayson is the one in the cowl, against his better judgement. Bruce's annoying Mordred-y son Damian is the new Robin, and Tim Drake is on his own. And, oddly enough, this was the jolt that the series needed, at least for a while to really get things running again.

Basically after the mediocre Battle for the Cowl (which can more or less be skipped,) DC brought most of its best writers in to handle all the books in the bat-line, and started a bunch of new books. I'm as shocked as anyone that they are mostly amazing, with the worst one of the group being merely 'good'. Haven't been this psyched for the bat books in years.

The new line up is:

Batman and Robin: Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely - Odd. At least that was my impression of the first issue, having read the second, I'm now on board. I think it's when I realized that Morrison is going more for the feel of All-Star Superman than his previous run on Batman. The character moments have been great, the villain is pretty damn creepy, and it's making for a good introductory arc.

Batman: Judd Winick is on this one, and wow, the first issue of the new run 687 was one of the more emotional ones I've seen in a while. This one, honestly deals with Dick taking the cowl much, much better than Battle for the Cowl ever did, and it has some of the most powerful scenes I've seen in a batman book for quite some time. Winick also gets Dick Grayson very well, and it shows.

Detective Comics: Greg Rucka works with JH Williams III - I was psyched about this one because Rucka is one of my favorite writers at DC, especially when he's working on Batman stuff. What's interesting here is that they gave the 2nd main traditional Bat-book to cover Batwoman. She was introduced like 3 years back and has damn little to do ever since, outside of being an on-again, off-again love interest for the Question (who is the focus of the backup story). Winnick's art is beautiful, and as an introduction to the character it is pretty flawless. The overall story works too, and the dialog and pacing are pure win. It was ballsy on DCs part to put Batwoman on one of their marquee titles, but it looks to have paid off.

Streets of Gotham: Paul Dini, my current favorite Batman writer helms this one with Dustin Ngyuen on art. Art is great, as it often is with Ngyuen, and Dini is as strong as he always is. The focus in this story is a bit more like the Detective Comics of years past where it not only has the dynamic duo, but the GCPD, and the man on the street. Firefly is a goddamn bastard in this one, and I have high hopes for the rest of this opening arc.

Red Robin: This one follows Tim Drake, on his quest to prove that Bruce isn't actually dead. It seems that having lost so much over the last couple of years of his life has pretty much put him into young Bruce Wayne mode. Bitter, obsessed, and trying to make sense of what he should do next. This works primarily because, well Tim, more than anyone else is Bruce Jr. They've spent years showing us the similarities between Tim and Bruce, and it's definitely showing here. I know that some are pissed that Tim isn't Robin anymore, but I think that the character can have some really interesting stories with this one.

Gotham City Sirens: Dini again, this time with Guillem March. This was probably the weakest of the books, though that could well be from introductory issue syndrome. Getting Catwoman, Ivy, and Harley together on a team takes a little bit of work, and while Dini knows these characters well (hell, he CREATED Harley Quinn, and is responsible for the modern Poison Ivy), it seems that a whole lot of exposition is jammed into this issue. The cliffhanger has me wondering thinking that this book might be darker than I thought it would be though. Still, I'm going to give it one or two issues before passing judgment. Dini has yet to do me wrong in the bat-verse.

So yeah, if you've been away from Batman for a while, now is the time to get back in. These books are better than they have been in years, and they're a great starting point for new readers also. Great, great stuff. I'm not the only one saying it either, the iFanboy crew and Newsarama, among others have been raving about these books, and with good reason.

My local store talked up Battle for the Cowl a fair bit so I've picked up a few issues to check out, read Batman & Robin #1 and having not read any of Morrison's run knew nothing of this son business, so may just need to torrent that and catch up.

ok, so ill check out Batman # 687 now cause im wary of Winnick (dude can be really weird) but bish is on about how it has to do with loss, and that plays to his strengths (he came on the scene with Pedro & Me). also, the bendis board and half the online fanboy community wont stop singing the praises of Morrison's Batman & Robin 1-2, so those're getting bumped in my queue, post back with impressions later.

batman-robin-20090311021113379.jpg

Read issue one of Batman and Robin and Morrison IS BACK!! Fuck, that guy was scaring me throughout Final Crisis. I thought he had gone the route of Claremont and Miller. But no, this book was great! Quietly is still a beast, but his pencils weren't as sharp this time around. Maybe it was the inker, but I just wasn't into the art as much. Still great! Highly recommended! Thanks Jon!

Batman & Robin: I think even a Morrison hater like Baytor would even like the new Batman & Robin. I was less than impressed w/ Morrison's R.I.P. and Final Crisis, so I wasn't expecting much from this series. However, I shouldn't have doubted the almighty Frank Quietly. I was very pleasantly surprised by this series. This new villain seems intriguing and the Grayson/Damien dynamic works even though Damien can come across as too unlikable. Morrison better round out his character soon or I'll be rooting for Joker to come back and do a Jason Todd on his ass.

Red Robin: Like bishopcruz wrote, it's Tim drake around Europe on a motorcycle trying to "find" Bruce. It has potential, I just hope it doesn't turn into some lame National Treasure type story.

Detective Comics: I still need to catch up and read the Heart of Hush arc on this series. I like they're showcasing Batwoman though and keeping the same numbering. OCD collector's like me dread the Marvel Marketing number change (I'm looking at you Thor 13/600 & Captain America 51/600).

Gotham City Sirens: Catwoman, Poison Ivy & Harley Quinn are OMGZ ROOMIEEEEEZZ!!! I scanned through issue one and likely won't even bother to DL issue 2.

Batman: This one (issue 687) is sitting there waiting for me to read. I really dislike Winnick, but bishopcruz seems to like it so maybe it won't suck. I'm not hopeful though...

Streets of Gotham: I didn't even know this one existed. I'll have to check it out. Lots of Bat-books out now. Gotta be expensive for the die-hards.

ok, so i read Batman & Robin 1-2, that was a lot of fun, and yeah its obviously more the All-Star Superman feel than anything else, which is great since that book was one of the best things DC'd done in a long while (christ but i wish this team'd make it back to X-Men one day). i like the way this obvious mismatch isnt nearly working out yet, and Dick's getting some character out of it as well. Best yet, we're looking at creepy new villains, and the preview pages showed even more to come.

Ill read Detective comics next, and wait for impressions on the other stuff later on, as im not big on the extended bat-family myself, but id love to have some surprises here.

also, i havent found a great place for comic reviews since the 4th rail closed its doors years back, but id not trust newsarama for dick; half of them hate marvel so bad, they're still boycotting over brand new day. im sure there's some intelligence to be found somewhere on their forums, but what ive seen/interacted with was mostly the worst kind of fanboys.

^^Interesting bit of fanboy trivia for you: The Professor Pyg character that is the villain in Batman & Robin first appeared (dead) in Batman #666. It was a oneshot story set in the future where Damien is now Batman, Oracle is the GCPD commissioner and Alfred is a cat.

^^and turns out to be teh gay.

just read 687.

man, that was emotional.

Yes, I just read it as well and it was a much better issue than I expected. OK, that's an understatement--this issue was so good it almost makes me not hate Winnick. Almost.

I haven't read any of the Battle for the Cowl books b/c I knew it'd be Nightwing victorious, and after this issue I don't think I'll need to go back and read them b/c this issue covers Alfred and Dick Grayson's take on Bruce's death pretty well. And the panel where Supes

hands over the cowl to Dick then Alfred comes in w/ the drinks and the 3 panels where he says his son is dead then they all just stand there silent

...wow...just a powerful couple of pages.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just finished the first 6 issues of Morrison's Batman & Robin, and despite my sustained confusion as to the

resurrection of Jason Todd

, and Wiki will surely help me with this, I'm a total believer. It's Morrison's normal schtick but Quitely's pencilling on a whole other level here. I mostly only ever knew him for giant jawed men & squinty women, but this is some cinematic shit and I love it.

it really is a fun book. i forget if i asked, dont know that its your thing, but you ever see Quitely's work in the Destiny story of Sandman: Endless Nights? holy shit, i recall realizing he was a much better artist than id realized at that point. i may've hated his :wolvy: on that Wizard cover years back, but now i end up missing his style on books like X-men and Superman when he's done.

Yeah Xmen wasn't a good example, but WE3 while still the same lines and whatnot showed how good he is with Tech. Same goes for his Authority run. Never read any Sandman. It's one of those things I dismiss out of hand as being too emo for me.