Hondo's Bar

Mad Men

The NZA

this weeks' MM > this week's GOT...neither was bad, but there it is

i like how Joan tells Don he makes decisions for everyone, so he goes out and merges their firms..can't wait to see the fallout, we already saw Peggy realizing she'll never be out from under him

still...1968 or so now, yeah? and they're a top 25 firm now, exciting shit!

I think Pete handled his mutually assured destruction situation pretty poorfully.

Last episode took place in April (MLK's assassination was on April 4th) and this week's episode mentioned that it took place in May, so we can expect the RFK assassination to be next episode, as he was shot early on June 5th and died the following day.

Edited by Reverend Jax

was wondering when they were gonna get to that (and also if poorfully is a word), but yeah

it was such a kicker - lost the account, burned that bridge, then burned any further chances with hot Trudy, to gain nothing. i thought the same as you, then i thought...it's so very in character, this is kinda how Pete had to handle it

Oh, it was totally in character, but it handled poorly (which is the right word). When he told his father-in-law he would pull the trigger on him, and his father-in-law told him he wouldn't, he should have confidently told him "yes I will." He should have said "Trudy and I are separated temporarily. She already knows I'm seeing other women. You've left me with nothing more to lose. You still have everything to lose, including your wife and your 'princess.' You will regret calling my bluff." But he never would say that. Don or Roger would, but not Pete.

Yup. I felt the same way. In the end, he was just too proud.

So, last night's episode

So, because I know how Mad Men works, next week's episode will jump forward several weeks, which means they basically just touched on RFK's assassination as a bookend. I guess they didn't want to have the episode seem like a rehash of the episode from two week's ago (or the one in which JFK was assassinated), but I feel like it really could have been handled in a way that would be very different from the other two, and by making it a big part of an episode.

Other than that, the episode was solid. I really thought Don was trying to push his mistress away, because he thought she was getting emotionally entangled with him, so he would just overtly objectify and demean her until she push him away, but then when she does reject him, he begs her to reconsider. Was I right about his plan, but he had a realization and a change of heart when it worked? Or does he just have a really twisted view of women and their roles (based on his upbringing) and he finally felt he had a woman he could treat the way he wanted to treat a woman? Was he thinking 'Finally, a woman who I can treat the way I want and she'll like it.'

Thoughts?

Edited by Reverend Jax

No. At the beginning of the episode he hears her and her husband in an argument while passing on the elevator. He then creates this domination fantasy where she's his sex slave to make her feel wanted/excited/naughty/sexy. He does this cause he actually cares about her wants to please her. She suspected as much (after time to think, he shoulda never taken that book) and called his bluff in the hotel room. If you notice she pauses and you, as the audience, expects a smile when he asks please, but she's actually disappointed. He's fallen for her and that's what she didn't want from the beginning.

As far as the Bobby Kennedy assassination. I'm glad they did it the way they did. People are just becoming numb to they death. It happens in real life. There's also some parallel to Don's situation.

Pete had the best lines of the night. Last two episodes have me rooting for ol' Petey.

It feels so dirty.

As far as the Bobby Kennedy assassination. I'm glad they did it the way they did. People are just becoming numb to they death. It happens in real life. There's also some parallel to Don's situation.

Elaborate on that parallel, por favor.

So, last night's episode

So, because I know how Mad Men works, next week's episode will jump forward several weeks, which means they basically just touched on RFK's assassination as a bookend. I guess they didn't want to have the episode seem like a rehash of the episode from two week's ago (or the one in which JFK was assassinated), but I feel like it really could have been handled in a way that would be very different from the other two, and by making it a big part of an episode.

Other than that, the episode was solid. I really thought Don was trying to push his mistress away, because he thought she was getting emotionally entangled with him, so he would just overtly objectify and demean her until she push him away, but then when she does reject him, he begs her to reconsider. Was I right about his plan, but he had a realization and a change of heart when it worked? Or does he just have a really twisted view of women and their roles (based on his upbringing) and he finally felt he had a woman he could treat the way he wanted to treat a woman? Was he thinking 'Finally, a woman who I can treat the way I want and she'll like it.'

Thoughts?

I think he was just feeling threatened and wanted to be "the man." He wanted to control and manipulate her b/c Ted threatens him. Don's a top, not a bottom, and he needs you to know it.

And Peggy told him as much in his office. And where the fuck was Dawn this episode? Was the actress not available or something? Odd use/non-use of Dawn. Also, I'm glad something finally paid off w/ that brown-noser from accounting. It'll be interesting to see if he's playing Joan or if they'll really get serious.

Roger firing that bald guy again seemed damned mean, like outta left field, to me. Until the episode was over and I thought on it. Bald guy's re-firing set up in a smaller way what happened to Don in the episode. Bald guy (I really should look up his name) waltzes in thinking things will be one way, then finds out very abruptly that they are indeed another. DOn thins he's big man on campus, show's up late and the meeting has started then boom* Ted flys a fucking plane. Don seeks power in his affair and begins the whole "follow me orders, ye scurvy dog" fantasy (sans nautical connotations of course). Now he's gone from his greatest height last episode w/ landing Chevy, to all all time low of losing Alpha Male status in creative, losing the respect of his former protege, and losing his lover.

yeah, Duck (outta like nowhere) was right about too many chiefs & not enough indians but the ship's holding, it was Peggy that got screwed this last ep. i don't think she wants to hitch to Don in any way, still feel like she's wanting out from his shadow - it's almost funny watching her shrivel whenever he yells for her like old times.

felt bad for my boy Stirling but Joan was right in what she said. Kertz was saying this wasn't as good as last season but i dunno, they're both really good for me; i was expecting some quality dropoff after what we got, but it hasn't happened for me yet.

I still haven't figured out this Bob Benson character either. Does he have an angle? Is he shrewdly ambitious, or genuinely kind, helpful and sensitive? Do they have to be mutually exclusive? I've heard that while Don is the epitome of the 60's, Bob represents the 70's that are coming.

damnit, roger can't catch a break. his daughter is pretty much lower than betty on my list of shit women characters on this show. like everyone else, i'm waiting to see where the nice-guy-bob character is going, other than in joan's pants. poor peggy. cold shouldered by both mentors and dumped all in one day. at least she didn't get stabbed. also, megan's mom would've gone for it.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
maybe even joan on the right night woulda hit that

They made the Democratic National Convention a big deal and inspire a lot of emotion in many of the characters, which is very historically accurate, and I expect that of this show (still upset that they only ended an episode with the Bobby Kennedy assassination). A good episode for Joan, and I always enjoy a Joan/Peggy team up. The California parties are not what they were just a few short years ago. Bob Benson is moving on up. Pete smoking out at the end was a great closer.

Related.

So this girl on my Instgram posts a pick of Don Draper. It's Don looking very "Don" with text reading (and I'm paraphrasing): "To all my REAL men out there: put down your video games, man-up, suit-up and wine-and-dine a beautiful girl". To which I replied: "And lie to everyone and cheat on said beautiful girl every chance you get".

Let's just say she wasn't amused. She wrote a nasty comment and deleted me. Bitch.

Must not be a fan of the show.

• Upvote 5