Hondo's Bar

The games we never got

The NZA

• 6 months later...

There are a lot of storyline points that were obviously crammed together for the demo to establish a thesis statement but other than the telekinesis ability not letting you steal peoples' guns and use them against them (or catch mortar shells for the same reason) all of that stuff is still in the final game. People are so fucking whiny about Bioshock: Infinite, it's far and away the best game of the three.

• Upvote 1

it's been a minute, but i don't remember as much of the on-screen stuff with factions, etc

yeah, it's taken a ton of heat after the fact - i too was kinda thrown off by the backlash. it was a bit heavy-handed (like always) and my biggest knock was just me being tired of the series' gameplay at that time, and probably not spending enough time trying to play around with different plasmids to change things up...but i do see a lotta people say it's terrible/etc and don't get it, either. 2, by comparison, felt more like an expansion to 1.

Nah, there was a lotta shit with the Vox Populi later in the game. The demo was a condensation of like the first half of the game but everything in that video, sans the way the telekinesis power (It was called something bronco in the final game) works, happens.

Ironically, though it is the only game in the series where there is only one ending and your choices make no difference to the larger story, it is easily the most replayable. It has only a token resemblance to the first two (the run and gun mechanics are the same but they feel like very different games otherwise) and though it has been criticized for being linear, there's more happening in those long one-way corridors than in every multi-tiered level map of 90s FPS games combined. I've heard criticisms galore but I have a hard time finding a better argument than "don't care, had fun."

• 6 months later...

Goddamn this sounds leagues better than this new Prey. I hear its an ok game, but it honestly just doesn't look very fun to me. I never got to play the original one.

Edited by Axels

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

so, this dude actually got a hold of a pre-production sample cart for MJ's Moonwalker on Genesis...and it turns out, Thriller was the in-game music for the entire graveyard stage (3), not just the special  attacks!  

really hoping we get a dump of this ROM soon. 

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nintendo and Namco discussed a potential EarthBound game for the GameCube, concepts shown

Baten Kaitos director Yasuyuki Honne, a former developer at Namco who is now with Monolith Soft, has revealed an interesting piece about EarthBound. Honne shared the news in light of an upcoming book – currently exclusive to Japan – which will be all about the life of late Nintendo president Satoru Iwata.

Honne states that Nintendo and Namco discussed potentially making an entry in the EarthBound (or Mother) series for GameCube. He met with both Iwata and EarthBound creator Shigesato Itoi all of those years ago. In sharing his story, Honne went as far as to upload concepts that were previously unseen.
“I’m looking forward to the forthcoming book about Iwata-san. I met both Iwata-san and Itoi-san at the same time – it was back in 2003 when there were talks between Namco and Nintendo about a GameCube version of Mother. I was happy to come up with a visual concept, and when I went to Aoyama Iwata-san was also present. Itoi-san didn’t seem very interested; he felt it was a little strange, and yet we continued talks. Itoi-san said, ‘I wonder if Iwata-kun has any ideas?’ He seemed flabbergasted, he had an aura of something akin to ‘Aw jeez.’ In the end nothing came of it, but Itoi-san enjoyed the felt-like recreations of 1980’s America that I had come up with. Here are some images that I didn’t think I’d show off more than once. Ah, memories of the summer of 2003.”

earthbound-11mk1e.jpg

earthbound-2f2klh.jpg
  • Wow! 1

• 5 months later...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...