Hondo's Bar

The games we never got

The NZA

I think we had a thread for games that didnt make it out (Gunslinger, that Daredevil PS2 soapbox game, etc), not sure if we had one for content that never made it? GAF has a great thread on content, thought id share some here. First that came to mind was Metal Gear Solid 2, id read a lot on what Kojima wanted to do with the Tanker scene (early bits with Snake), but there's more details than id known. anyway, here's to early builds that look nothing like what we got (remember the first trailer for Twilight Princess? ...yeah)

dont get me wrong, i fucking loved RE4, but i totally want to play a ghost game in a mansion like that.

Shadow of Colossus bosses!

unused1.jpg

unused10.jpg

unusedcolossus04.jpg

unused4.jpg

unused22.jpg

Zelda!

legend-of-zelda-twlight-princess-20050816014851921_640w.jpg

311madf.jpg

2d0jqc7.jpg

2lc4c94.jpg

Shenmue: Ryo had a bike?

lots of stuff from Sonic 3, KOTOR 2, Half-Life 2, Fable (haha), etc. more to come!

I totally would have play Resident Silent Hill 4.

right? that should be a spinoff series! appease the new actiony RE fans, as well as the cult survival horror ones. its easier than making a new Dino Crisis, anyway.

early God of War:

cant find pics of the motorcycle levels of Streets of Rage 3, argh.

Earthbound 64DD is too painful for me to read, but Ura Zelda is interesting.

Chrono Trigger: skip to 0:40.

obligatory:

lots of stuff from Sonic 3, KOTOR 2, Half-Life 2, Fable (haha), etc. more to come!

Fable was what sprang to mind after clicking this thread. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that read that Project Ego Gameinformer article, right? Anywho, since you called it already, I leave it to you. Don't let me down.

In hindsight, 'Ghost probly wouldn't have been as good as Splinter Cell or MGS and would have been one of those overhype casualties that ends up in the bargain bins, but still.

Myself and CARLO LUND obtained a pirate copy of Thrill Kill around 2001. It wasn't complete, I'm sure of it. I don't remember exactly what was missing, it would hang up at a boss or something. It wasn't as terrible as this video makes it look like. All the 'controversy' that kept it from being released a decade ago wouldn't even raise an eyebrow these days.

Lo: didnt Thrill Kill become my precious Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style? bish always gives me shit about this.

as for Fable:

"You can bump into a tree and knock an acorn off. The acorn will then grow into a new tree over the next few years. Birds that would not have been born will be born just because you bumped into a tree. The now living birds will lead to more cats being prevelant and a quest will open up 15 years after the tree bumping incident where you can help a woman look for her cat. If the tree wasnt bumped she never would have become a creepy cat lady and you could have wed her."

...wow @ whoever bought into all that, though.

was reading much of Soul Reaver got cut, not sure what though.

The soul rever stuff was mostly in the planning stages, not sure that very much got put into the game, but it was a completely different story and I personally I think the story is much better due to the changes, but you do see some of the planned stuff towards the end of SR 1 in the different time portals, thats all planned stuff.

Also Amy Hennig does no wrong <3

BTW I'll do a longer post but from way back in the ps2 days, the lost!

• 2 weeks later...

first, the tech demo for the "Dolphin" - an early look at Mario 64 and Peach's Castle.

but more importantly...prepare to have your mind blown.

214p2md.gif33llaa9.gif

14e8awp.gif2955y0j.gif

BS Zelda no Densetsu (BSゼルダの伝説?, lit. BS The Legend of Zelda) was a game released for the Satellaview attachment for the Super Famicom in Japan. It was based on the original The Legend of Zelda for the NES.

The gameplay was largely unchanged from the original game,[1] but a few differences exist which make the experience distinctly different. One of these differences is that the maximum number of rupees allowed a player was increased to more than a thousand (rather than 255 as in The Legend of Zelda). The overworld was altered from an 8 by 16 map to an 8 by 8, although an effort to make Map 1 relatively comparable in terms of general landscape features to the overworld in The Legend of Zelda is apparent. As in the The Legend of Zelda's Second Quest, dungeons are again completely different. This game is sometimes referred to as a "Third Quest", in reference to The Legend of Zelda's Second Quest. The Map 2 version could thus be considered the "Fourth Quest". Carrying on the tradition initiated in the Second Quest where the dungeon map layouts spelled "ZELDA", Third Quest layout spells "St.GIGA" and the Fourth Quest spells "NiNtENDO".

The clock

The game was played in real-time. An onscreen clock showed the current time, and at various times on the clock certain events would happen. The game pauses for a moment before making a change. Sometimes the enemies are killed or stunned, sometimes a fairy appears, and occasionally the player is granted unlimited quantities of one of their items for a limited time. Bombs, boomerangs and candles can all be auto-upgraded this way, and will never run out of ammunition until the clock reaches the ending value, at which point the player’s bombs are returned to the amount they had before the unlimited amount was activated, or the boomerang will downgrade, or the candle will turn from red back to blue.

Presentation

The game was divided into four weekly episodes. These episodes were played live, at the same time as a video game tips show was running on the satellite network (it probably contained ads and such to promote the games currently being played). The download time for each episode was typically around seven minutes.

..did you get all that? the original Zelda was remade for the SNES, Mario All-Stars style, and with rearranged dungeons! if this was Capcom and not Nintendo, they wouldve repackaged this at least 3 times since, and idve likely bought at least 2.

dont sweat the timer or japanese text; as newt and i happily discovered yesterday, there's a patched ROM that handles both of these! google it, its one of those sites. ill upload it if anyone wants a direct link. so, so awesome.

..did you get all that? the original Zelda was remade for the SNES, Mario All-Stars style, and with rearranged dungeons! if this was Capcom and not Nintendo, they wouldve repackaged this at least 3 times since, and idve likely bought at least 2.

dont sweat the timer or japanese text; as newt and i happily discovered yesterday, there's a patched ROM that handles both of these! google it, its one of those sites. ill upload it if anyone wants a direct link. so, so awesome.

I'd like to hit that up @.@ i just got my first taste of rom goodness and why i haven't downloaded emulators in the past is beyond me. this remade zelda look awesome :rant:

I always looooved the Dark world. Was that what it was called? The experience and music was always such a blast. Am I talking about the same Zelda game? Either way, I'm kinda drunk. Loooved Dark world.

You guys had A Link to the Past, the 3rd one. And you 3 girls must have played that shit to death, because Kati can still hook up the SNES and blaze through it without missing a beat. It's like it's burned into her cerebellum.

I really thought everybody knew about BS Zelda.

On to stuff that likely on Nick and I care about, PSIV originally had 3-d dungeons, and apparently the Sega CD version was a completely different game, it was known as Return of Alisa, but it never happened. Weird, but true.

There was also a Mega CD version of Ys IV in the works that never came out, and oddly enough it was the only one that was developed by Falcom. As it stands Ys IV is the only one in the series that does not have a game developed by the development house that created the series. strange but true.

Duke Nukem Forever's loss makes baby Jesus cry.

holy crap, i totally remember reading some blurp or another about PS IV CD, but never hearing about it again - didnt dare to dream of additional content, wonder what they had in mind with that subtitle? fuck, now im sad.

ps i had fun with Duke Nukem in the day like others, but was what we saw of Forever really enough for people to get happy about?

There's a really good article on wired about the whole duke forever thing, but one thing that every new person seemed to say was that the game was always kick ass and could have been released if they just buckled down and got it done. They redid that game so many times and on several different engines too.

ps i had fun with Duke Nukem in the day like others, but was what we saw of Forever really enough for people to get happy about?

If you watch the newest video that was released after the game was cancelled you'll see that not only was the game a lot more finished than we though, it was awesome. Then of course there was the originally trailer which made it look like some batshit insane Half-Life knockoff. Either one makes me whistful.

• 5 months later...