Hondo's Bar

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Benz

Ok, ok, I know some of you are thinking... "Oh dear god, not another Freddy flick, enough already, let the series die!" Eventhough I'm a hardcore Freddy fan, I'd tend to agree if this were just another Freddy flick with some witty/funny lines in another gory comedy like Freddy Vs. Jason was. But before you judge... behold:

...and the man who's replacing Robert Englund as Freddy? None other than Jackie Earle Haley! (The guy who played Rorschach in Watchmen)

From the trailer it looks like they'll finally show Freddy Kruger's origin, how he came to be. Wold be mind blowingly cool if they got into how he came to be in peoples' dreams. The potential here is... :D

I can't wait for this to come out! I'm so psyched!!!

Edited by Greyskull

aparantly these cats didn't get the memo. Rehashing 80's movies was sooo early 2000's. It's 2010 now. The 90's nostalgia is about to set in.

I'm going ballsy here:

Captain Planet remake, coming soon! You heard it here first, folk!

Edited by archangel

They already showed Freddy's origin in Freddy's Dead. Also, fuck the haters, Freddy vs. Jason was the tits and I would've much rather seen Freddy vs. Jason vs. Michael/Leatherface/Chuckie/Mechagodzilla than Rob Zombie's Halloween.

Jackie Earl Haley is indeed the perfect Krueger, and unlike Englund, he can act.

Amusing fact: Johnny Depp got the part in the original film which launched his career because he was Jackie Earl Haley's ride to the tryouts. Talk about coming full circle.

Didn't that movie have the alterante ending cop-out?

eh, well it sorta did.

Freddy's decapitated head winks leaving us to believe that they are back in the dream world

But yea for the most part its mostly a Jason win. Either one coming out on top woulda been fine with me.

They already showed Freddy's origin in Freddy's Dead. Also, fuck the haters, Freddy vs. Jason was the tits and I would've much rather seen Freddy vs. Jason vs. Michael/Leatherface/Chuckie/Mechagodzilla than Rob Zombie's Halloween.

Hey now! What's with the House of a Thousand Corpses-lite hate? I'll admit Zombie only knows how to make one movie many times over(casting the same people each time), but I dug Zombie's take on one film over countless Carpenter ones and even somehow, the one that featured Busta Rhymes.

Hey now! What's with the House of a Thousand Corpses-lite hate? I'll admit Zombie only knows how to make one movie many times over(casting the same people each time), but I dug Zombie's take on one film over countless Carpenter ones and even somehow, the one that featured Busta Rhymes.

It was directionless, it couldn't decide what it wanted to be, Rob Zombie made Michael Myers into Jason, the soundtrack and editing were some of the worst I have ever seen and it's easily the worst one of his films (Mind that when I say this, I don't really like The Devils Rejects for many of the same reasons and I don't remember House of 1000 Corpses well enough to comment either way), but the final nail in the coffin was having watched Halloween 2 and seen a much better well-put-together film and minus the forced darkness of Laurie's character and the cover of "Love Hurts" at the end it was his best movie out of the four he's done.

ive not seen Zombie's films yet, nor much of what's talked about here (that freddy/jason fight looked ridiculous!), but the trailer up top has me interested. i could see the franchise being redone, hopefully working better than texas chainsaw did.

SHit, I've yet to check out the sequel. I didn't really have any complaints with the first one. Any compromise of quality I just take as part and parcel of a Z-grade movie nerd remaking the king of the B-grade hill.

To me, the best way to describe the first Halloween movie is to make this analogy:

Picture Rob Zombie sitting on the floor with a bucket of LEGOs. He takes his LEGOs and he forms many of them together into some pretty cool looking shit, but all this cool stuff he's building are just smaller pieces of something great, separately they don't really look like much of anything other than slightly neat shapes. The problem is, Rob doesn't know how to build anything of great coherency so he just kind of slams his pieces together in a big shape, tacks on a bunch of miscelanneous shape, tries to ape John Carpenter's LEGO sculptures and just comes out with this unwieldy monstrosity that looks kinda cool from certain angles but mostly just looks like shit.

There was a lot of Halloween that worked for me, the intro wasn't necessary but it was at least well put together and entertaining. In fact I daresay that Rob got so into writing that prologue that he forgot to write the rest of the movie. I picture him waking up one morning and going "Oh shit, that script's due today!" and then doing what anybody working at the last minute does, plagiarizes the shit out of things.

Thus he took John Carpenter's movie, threw in some trash, a few trashy characters, way too much Rob Zombie dialogue (I.E. Conversations that only take place in the world of Rob Zombie's mind), and a complete lack of subtlety. Now this could have worked, but he tried to make the original once we got into the present and you don't take a brilliant slow-burn subtle slasher like Halloween (I know, it's not aged well and Jamie Lee Curtis was a bad choice for the lead but taken as what it is it's the third best slasher movie of all time. I like the second one too, also the 3rd one, but for entirely different reasons) and combine it with elements of 70s backroads brutality exploitation horror. It just doesn't work that way. When it comes to a remake you either go your own way (Dawn of the Dead) or you take what was there and improve it (Friday the 13th), otherwise you have a fucking mess on your hands (The Fog).

Fortunately, he learned his lesson and made part 2 a Rob Zombie film, and to my amazement a good movie. Aside from Laurie and Dr. Loomis taking character directions that didn't make sense from what happened in the first movie, a superfluous cameo from Weird Al Yankovic, and a couple instances of Rob Zombie dialogue (thankfully only a couple), plus he really toned down the pointless cameos and Brad Dourif and Danielle Harris got a shit-ton of screen time this time around. (Honestly, I would have rather followed Danielle Harris' Annie throughout, she was a much more relateable and interesting character)

Aaaaaanyhow, back to the point.

Nick, watch Freddy vs. Jason. It's not scary, but it's not trying to be. It's gorey, it's got a decent story, and it's one of the few VS. movies that actually delivers on what it promises. It's a fun movie.

For those talking about the alternate endings of aformentioned movie here's what the endings were:

Theatrical - Both die, both return. Jason rises out of the water and Freddy winks. This makes sense as they were both dead already and we'd already been told that neither could die.

Freddy Wins - This ending was filmed. Lori and what's-his-name are finally going to have sex but he rises up, claws grow out of his fingertips and he slashes the screen which goes black. It's pretty much the gayest fucking thing ever.

Hell Wins - This only got as far as concept but there was supposed to be an ending where a giant hand rises up out of the lake, grabs them both and pulls them down to hell. Sounds kinda cool, but mostly stupid.

The Way it Should've Ended - This didn't even get as far as the giant Hell hand. Freddy and Jason are still fighting, both are suddenly seized in chains. Pinhead from Hellraiser comes out and says "Now boys..." and the movie ends.

Now, as for Samuel Bayer, it makes me nervous too, I just take heart in the fact that aside from that godawful Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel Platinum Dunes has done some pretty good stuff with horror remakes thus far. Plus honestly, the series can't get any lower and at very least this will be a much more worthwhile attempt to relaunch the series than that New Nightmare bullshit.

Theatrical - Both die, both return. Jason rises out of the water and Freddy winks. This makes sense as they were both dead already and we'd already been told that neither could die.

Freddy Wins - This ending was filmed. Lori and what's-his-name are finally going to have sex but he rises up, claws grow out of his fingertips and he slashes the screen which goes black. It's pretty much the gayest fucking thing ever.

Hell Wins - This only got as far as concept but there was supposed to be an ending where a giant hand rises up out of the lake, grabs them both and pulls them down to hell. Sounds kinda cool, but mostly stupid.

The Way it Should've Ended - This didn't even get as far as the giant Hell hand. Freddy and Jason are still fighting, both are suddenly seized in chains. Pinhead from Hellraiser comes out and says "Now boys..." and the movie ends.

Now, as for Samuel Bayer, it makes me nervous too, I just take heart in the fact that aside from that godawful Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel Platinum Dunes has done some pretty good stuff with horror remakes thus far. Plus honestly, the series can't get any lower and at very least this will be a much more worthwhile attempt to relaunch the series than that New Nightmare bullshit.

Yeah, I would have liked that Pinhead ending. That would have been badass.

I agree with ya, even if they totaly fuck it up, it's still worth a watch, but something tells me they're not going to. Especially the way they cast Freddy...

Having watched that trailer, Freddy's voice is genuinely funny. This movie's gonna have folks pissing themselves laughing as opposed to any other kind of involuntary renal function. He looks like Rocky Dennis too, which just pushes the comedic envelope further.

Damnit, I was hoping for something actually suspense-y.

Eh, you see his face for all of half a second and hear his voice for a little longer. I'm told the CG and voice are still subject to change and I think it'll be fixed up by the time the movie comes out. I don't see the Rocky Dennis comparison though, I mean he has smothed features but his head isn't shaped like a foot.

While I have no love for Robert Englund, he at least looked appropriately horrible(if unrealistic). Going for the more realistic burns victim approach is just going to have the girls in the audience empathising and contemplating the ways in which they'd mother him into being a better person.

Not to mention, the prequel bit with a seemingly unwitting Krueger being corraled into that warehouse? I really hope that's just cowardice/true scumbag as opposed to some 'victim of a mistunderstanding Vengeance type deal'.

No, that's cowardice, I guarantee. People love a good burning child molester, they love it so much that the Weinstein's made Cropsy from The Burning into a child molester just so he'd match. (For those of you who don't know, The Burning was the original burn victim comes back for revenge slasher and was a surprisingly non-shitty movie that featured a young Fisher Stepehens, Jason Alexander, and Holly Hunter.) Though Clancy Brown is the person burning the place down, so you never know.

Like i said, I'll reserve judgment for the finished product. Just cause he's a burn victim, I'm sure demon Freddy isn't out of the question. South of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and The Hitcher Platinum Dunes hasn't let me down. (They did the Willard remake too, right?)

• 4 months later...