Hondo's Bar

Playing the role of a comic book hero

Playing the role of a comic book hero  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I could have included other performance from X-Men and Watchmen, and I can amend the poll if anyone thinks Patrick Steward as Professor X or Jeffery Dean Morgan as the Comedian outshine all the other choices in the poll. I hope no one wants to vote for Mihael Keaton over Bale's Batman, let alone over all th other choices, but like I said, I can amend the poll on request.

Intentional omissions include Ben Affleck as Daredevil, Nick Cage as Ghost Rider, Wesley Snipes as Blade, Brandon Lee as the Crow, Keanu Reeves as Constantine, anyone in Fantastic Four, Sylvester Stallone as Judge Dredd, Jim Carrey as The Mask, Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as J and K, all three Punishers, Shaquille O'Neal as Shazam or as Steel, Michael Jai White as Spawn, among others. That doesn't mean I think all those performances were bad, just that I didn't think anyone of them were contenders for best performance up against the competition above.

Here's the thing about Iron man as done by Downey Jr. I loved the portrayal. I enjoyed it a lot more than the comic book Tony. In fact, I've always found comic book Tony kinda boring. Even when he was being a giant dick in Civil War or when he was alcoholic.

So Downey doesn't get my vote for capturing the comic book Tony because he did something better and created a Tony that was more interesting.

Close runner up vote to Haley for Rorschach, but I give it to Perlman for Hellboy because he just felt so much like the personality of Hellboy come to life. I think the movies made a bigger deal about him being the monster protecting the world that hates him etc, but the attitude of the character comes out quite close to the comics.

aw, Pekar's not even fair on this list.

Tobey's a good call, but he didnt wisecrack enough for my liking. Bale's great as Wayne, not so much as Bats - again, subbing his voice with the animated would be spot-on. Perlman gets like 90% of hellboy for me, he had the goofier bits a lot better in part 2.

Norton was a much better Banner, as i can believe he's intelligent and reserved...but he didnt nail it to the point that i cant see someone else trying. Downey, Reeves, Arnold and Rourke are top-tier here (a few of them to the point of being iconic), i wanna say Jackman too (fuck the haters) but the last film still left scars. Haley really is looking like my vote, though - i didnt think the role would transfer well, and im fairly certain idve been right with just about anyone else. just so good.

Sure to be a common complaint for Bale's Batman.

haha i actually thought the voice was cool. I kinda wanna see Mark Hammil try his hand at a live action Joker. Always thought he'd transfer well with the voice. thats another topic though.

but, other than Haley I'd give a top 3 to Maguire, Downey and Jackman-who is an awesome :uhm: that gets into bad stories.

P.S.- Clint Eastwood should so pull double duty in Dark Knight Returns/Old Man Logan

I hope that's real

Even if it's not, I'd like to print out a nice big glossy print of that image (the 'Nicholson being handed the Ledger photo' one), and then take a picture of someone handing it toNicholson with a sharpie.

ps we totally need a villain poll at some point.

What would be the point? Ledger would take it 17-0

I considered following this hero poll up with such a poll, and also considered the same thing Jumbie did. McKellean as Magneto, Dafoe as Green Goblin, Molina as Doc Oc, Ferrel as Bullseye, Hackman or Spacey as Lex Luthor, Bridges as Stane...I think the only way to make it interesting is "Which actor did the second best job after Heath Ledger capturing a comic book villain?"

To be fair, Ferrel had the most spot on performance to the actual comic book character of any of them, he just was in a horrible movie and inexplicably Irish.

I agree he did a good job, it's why I listed him. I actually think Affleck did a fine job with what he was given to work with, particularly as Murdock. I'd say any shortcomings in the movie Murdock/DD were the fault of the script first, the editor second (see the director's cut for a vast improvement in this department), the director third and Affleck himself fourth. With all those issues, he's still not competing for best performance ever, which is why I left hm off this poll. Ferrel would get a spot in a Villains poll though.

I did kind wanna see this thread run it's course first. I haven't voted myself. Who's winning?

or in ly's case, comics they havent read. :misty:

i didnt think ferrel was bad, but most spot-on? i dunno. he had his miller DD moments, but it wasnt nearly as close as other performances.

You get rid of the Irish Accent and the goatee and he's exactly Bullseye. He looks like it bothers him to not be killing anyone at any given moment, that's the Bullseye I've been reading as of late.

I'm not sure I worded the question correctly when I said "capturing" a comic book hero. I didn't mean the most faithful translation. I just meant who did the best job bringing the character to life, whether they gave a carbon copy performance or played the part differently from the source, but for the better. Jumbie mentioned that Downey Jr didn't play Stark accurately, he played him better than in the books. When I made this thread, I didn't intend for the perceived improving upon the source material to disqualify an actor.

Ferrel as Bullseye
Ferrel had the most spot on performance
Ferrel would get a spot in a Villains poll though.

It's FARRELL, stop getting Irish names wrong

i didnt think ferrel was bad

You should know better...fucking plastic paddy motherfucker

Even if it's not, I'd like to print out a nice big glossy print of that image (the 'Nicholson being handed the Ledger photo' one), and then take a picture of someone handing it toNicholson with a sharpie.

MVP if you do it

*this post contains an easter egg*

You get rid of the Irish Accent and the goatee and he's exactly Bullseye. . .

And the bad snakeskin trench-coat.

It's FARRELL, stop getting Irish names wrongYou should know better...

Eamon is right, guys. Start spelling names correctly, damnit!

EamonN. I know. I know. I'm just bustin' yer chops.

I'm not sure I worded the question correctly when I said "capturing" a comic book hero. I didn't mean the most faithful translation. I just meant who did the best job bringing the character to life, whether they gave a carbon copy performance or played the part differently from the source, but for the better. . .

Well then why did you list the question as: "Which actor did the best job capturing a comic book hero, in both normal and alter ego?" Because, brother that question and the list you gave do not match up. It's like you went bi-polar on us for a second and tried to combine two polls in one big fail. Marv/Marv? Hell/Boy/Hellboy? Pekar/Pekar? Logan/Wolverine? Conan the Barbarian? Are you a ruh-tard? Optimus Prime would likely go on this list as well since he's both a truck AND a robot. These characters (and a few others on the list) DO NOT HAVE alter egos. Therefore the actors cannot "capture" an alter ego or improve upon an alter ego or re-interpret an alter ego on screen. Ed Norton and The Hulk? Seriously? Ed Norton had fuckall to do w/ the CGI cartoon character that became the Incredible Hulk. :2T: I'm disappointed in you for this one, Jaxus. Big time.

What you really wanted was a, "Which actor best portrayed a superhero in a movie" poll and a separate "Alter Ego Poll." Admittedly the alter ego poll would have fewer choices, but at least it'd make fucking sense!

I gave it to Perlman. I couldn't see anyone else doing Hellboy. Motherfucker looks like Hellboy without the makeup on.

I hear a lot of (justified) bitching about Bale being all growly with Batman, but I had the exact same problem with Haley's Rorschach. I thought he did a good job and cared about the character, I'd be willing to bet he was told to talk like that, but it's a major flaw for me that I can't reconcile.

I always thought of Rorschach as being very flat and emotionless. Monotone. Like a guy just stating facts. Sorta like The Tranquil in Dragon Age I guess. He shows emotion something like 4 times, I would expect a change then. Other times he should sound...disconnected. I dunno, just not like that.

No fair throwing in Harvey.

Archived