Hondo's Bar

Screwed by Oscar: 2009

Here are the major category noms for the 2009 Oscars. Feel free to baytor bitch about what/who was snubbed this year and who/what was recognized but shouldn't have been...biggest omission in my opinion is STAR TREK--didn't even get a bone in the best score category!

Best Picture

'Avatar'

'The Blind Side'

'District 9'

'An Education'

'The Hurt Locker'

'Inglourious Basterds'

'Precious'

'A Serious Man'

'Up'

'Up in the Air'

Best Director

Kathryn Bigelow 'The Hurt Locker'

James Cameron 'Avatar'

Lee Daniels 'Precious'

Jason Reitman 'Up in the Air'

Quentin Tarantino 'Inglourious Basterds'

Best Actor

Jeff Bridges 'Crazy Heart'

George Clooney 'Up in the Air'

Colin Firth 'A Single Man'

Morgan Freeman 'Invictus'

Jeremy Renner 'The Hurt Locker'

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock 'The Blind Side'

Helen Mirren 'The Last Station'

Carey Mulligan 'An Education'

Gabourey Sidibe 'Precious'

Meryl Streep 'Julie and Julia'

Best Supporting Actor

Matt Damon 'Invictus'

Woody Harrelson 'The Messenger'

Christopher Plummer 'The Last Station'

Stanley Tucci 'The Lovely Bones'

Christoph Waltz 'Inglourious Basterds'

Best Supporting Actress

Penelope Cruz 'Nine'

Vera Farmiga 'Up in the Air'

Maggie Gyllenhaal 'Crazy Heart'

Anna Kendrick 'Up in the Air'

Mo'nique 'Precious'

Best Animated Feature Film

'Coraline'

'Fantastic Mr. Fox'

'The Princess and the Frog'

'The Secret of Kells'

'Up'

Best Original Screenplay

Mark Boal 'The Hurt Locker'

Quentin Tarantino 'Inglourious Basterds'

Alessandro Camon and Oren Moverman 'The Messenger'

Joel Coen and Ethan Coen 'A Serious Man'

Peter Docter, Bob Peterson, Tom McCarthy 'Up'

Best Adapted Screenplay

Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell 'District 9'

Nick Hornby 'An Education'

Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, Tony Roche 'In the Loop'

Geoffrey Fletcher 'Precious'

Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner 'Up in the Air'

Best Documentary Feature

'The Cove'

'Food, Inc.'

'The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers'

'Which Way Home'

Best Original Score

'Avatar'

'Fantastic Mr. Fox'

'The Hurt Locker'

'Sherlock Holmes'

'Up'

Best Original Song

'Almost There' from 'The Princess and the Frog'

Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

'Down in New Orleans' from 'The Princess and the Frog'

Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

'Loin de Paname' from 'Paris 36'

Music by Reinhardt Wagner Lyric by Frank Thomas

'Take It All' from 'Nine'

Music and Lyric by Maury Yeston

'The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)' from 'Crazy Heart'

Music and Lyric by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett

this best picture experiment they're doing now should be interesting. i wonder if the votes will be so split that something weird like the blind side will win. although it would be entertaining to watch everyone in the audience with that "wtf?" look on their faces. actually, i hope that does happen. the blind side for best picture. you read it here first.

If Up in the Air won best picture, I would piss myself laughing if the announcer was all

"And the winner is, Up!...in the air".

Just to watch those Pixar guys stand halfway and then sit back down in shame.

Won't happen, just sharing some giggles from Logan's hypothetical corner of mean spirits.

Just saw a bootleg of Up in the Air. (non-action movies I'm happy to watch in low quality.)

I haven't seen any of the other movies, but I know Up in the Air and Clooney deserve their noms. I wouldn't be unhappy if either of them won.

Vera Farmiga was pretty good. Unfortunately, her role wasn't flashy and she didn't get any special dialogue to make her stand out, so I don't think she'll win.

Anna Kendrick was good in patches. Her airport meltdown was disappointing in execution, but the scenes where she first meets Alex was good.

haku, don't feel so bad. it looks as though star trek was nominated for make up, sound mixing and video effects.

so true about this year SNL. no one has seen these movies. save for inglorious bastards, the cove, the hurt locker, district 9 and up i haven't heard of the nominees. and yall are gonna hate me for this: inglorious bastards is a great movie, but it is not oscar material nor is hurt locker. or up or the cove. mabye district 9 though.

geez, i'm such a hater. why can't they come out with another movie as cool as american beauty?

• 4 weeks later...
and yall are gonna hate me for this: inglorious bastards is a great movie, but it is not oscar material nor is hurt locker. or up or the cove. mabye district 9 though.

ha ha ha! of the four movies you named as not being oscar material, three of them won in their respective category. fail, tim. fail. :D

also, while i don't she should have won, sandra bullock had one of my favorite acceptance speeches ever...i love her:

tim has weird taste, news at 11. :D

winners, for those that dont know

</h1>

<h1>Winners

digGetAd("SponsoredByLogo"); The full list of the 2010 Oscar winners from Oscar.com, the official site of the 82nd Academy Awards

Select a Category

Best Picture Actor in a Leading Role Actor in a Supporting Role Actress in a Leading Role Actress in a Supporting Role Animated Feature Film Art Direction Cinematography Costume Design Directing Documentary Feature Documentary Short Film Editing Foreign Language Film Makeup Music (Original Score) Music (Original Song) Short Film (Animated) Short Film (Live Action) Sound Editing Sound Mixing Visual Effects Writing (Adapted Screenplay) Writing (Original Screenplay) Best Picture

Best Picture

Actor in a Leading Role

Actor in a Supporting Role

Actress in a Leading Role

Actress in a Supporting Role

Animated Feature Film

Art Direction

Cinematography

Costume Design

Directing

Documentary Feature

Documentary Short

Film Editing

Foreign Language Film

Makeup

Music (Original Score)

Music (Original Song)

Short Film (Animated)

Short Film (Live Action)

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Visual Effects

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Writing (Original Screenplay)

Again, I'm still kinda baffled that Hurt Locker swept the awards. I thought for sure some would split other ways.

I was watching it off and on last night. The oddest moment I saw had to have been when the director for "Music for Prudence" was giving a speech and then some woman, whom I assume must've been the producer, just bumped her way in front of the mic. The look on his face as she ate up the remaining time w/ her babbling was priceless.

*EDIT*

Here's the story behind this: http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/...rudence_burkett

I'm so glad that moment was explained... It was a weird moment in the series of weird moments that was the Oscars this year.

Such as George Clooney's attitude the whole time... it was weird to see him so grumpy.

And Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. The whole time. Being awkward. Making awkward jokes. Having awkward silences.

And Sandra Bullock winning an Academy Award for playing Sandra Bullock in a movie that features Sandra Bullock. Her instead of Carey Mulligan was a travesty. Though I suppose Carey Mulligan will hopefully have tons of years and tons of roles to put her in the way of Oscar again, I doubt Sandra Bullock would. I liked her speech.

I really wish they hadn't screwed us out of a shot of Kathryn Bigelow walking past James Cameron to accept her award. One weird moment we weren't privy to.

I dunno, I liked The Hurt Locker a lot but I kinda think Inglorious Basterds was the best thing I saw last year.

. . .I really wish they hadn't screwed us out of a shot of Kathryn Bigelow walking past James Cameron to accept her award. One weird moment we weren't privy to.

I dunno, I liked The Hurt Locker a lot but I kinda think Inglorious Basterds was the best thing I saw last year.

She never had an opportunity to walk past him--was sitting in front of him. Like, the seat right in front of him. They were cutting to it all night. Talk about awwwwkwaaaaard.

I guess Cameron will have to console himself w/ the fact his last two movies made a bajillion dollahs!

Archived