Hondo's Bar

Portal 2

Visitant

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...Portal-2-Update

On Monday, a surprise patch to the three-year-old fan favorite Portal spawned a massive Alternate Reality Game that had internet communities from Steam to Something Awful racing to figure out the puzzles. Two days later, we may not have the puzzle solved, but we have a lot of very interesting new information - frustratingly, there's very little that's concrete; everything that the intrepid puzzle-solvers have uncovered seems to be just designed to tantalize and tease.

There's something lurking behind the scenes in Valve-land.

It all started yesterday when owners of the beloved physics-puzzle FPS Portal discovered that the game had a new content patch - which was odd, given its age. That innocuous little patch has since spurred a massive race on the internet between communities like Steam and Something Awful, as they scramble to unravel an ARG that appears to be teasing a new Valve game. (An ARG, by the way, is an Alternate Reality Game - something that asks gamers to figure out real-life puzzles; arguably the most famous example of which is Halo 2's ilovebees. It could also stand for the noise you make when you can't figure out the puzzle).

There's a ton of dizzying information about the game so far, and we're still learning more, but I'll attempt a recap: The Portal update included a new mystery achievement, and people who loaded the game up again found that the radio in the starting chamber now had a green light. If players stood in certain areas of the Aperture Science test chamber while carrying the radio, it would start to emit strange static interference.

While they could have done things the hard way, it was much easier to just rip the .wav files from the game itself. The static turned out to be a code when fed through a steganography program (*I have been corrected on this - more below*), a code that resulted in numbered images which - when fed through another program - led to a land line in Kirkland, WA (near Valve's HQ). Only it wasn't a land line at all, but a data line for an encrypted BBS. On said BBS, people found strange data which turned out to be interesting ASCII pictures.

Some of the pictures are unmistakable: Vortigaunts holding hands, an Aperture Science door, the defense turrets (turn your head to the right), and of course nefarious AI, GLaDOS herself. This is where everything stands right now, because the internet is still trying to figure it out.

One interesting little tidbit of information: The ASCII information identifies the crazy AI antagonist as GLaDOS v3.11 - and as it happens, 3/11 (that is, March 11th) is the day on which Valve head honcho Gabe Newell will be receiving the Game Developers Choice Pioneer Award at GDC. Could the man be planning on making some sort of surprise announcement or reveal?

And if he is, just what would he be revealing? We've already been told that Half-Life 2: Episode 3 won't be coming this year, but there's always Portal 2.

Curiouser and curiouser, indeed. Between this, the ApocalyPS3, and the Infinity Ward lockdown, yesterday was a really weird day for gaming.

There's a lot more information on the link above, I just covered the basics here. Are you as excited for more Portal as I am? This was a triumph!

Awesome! I'm kinda surprised we haven't more about Portal sooner, but this is great. I dunno how much hope I have as a PS3 owner for being able to play it cause Valve hates Sony with a passion, but I'm crossing my fingers. Either way this is good news!

Yay for more Portal!

boo for no cross platforming, but meh. Portal 2 is official now

Gaming News: Portal 2 ready for Christmas 2010 Launch

8 March, 2010

Share|

After making a tricky update in the Portal alternate reality game, Valve has in fact decided to shut down the Portal game. The news is disheartening for the PC game lovers but Valve has assured the launch of Portal 2 by Christmas this year.

Explicitly the company confirmed that Portal 2 will start from the new, updated ending of the original game and can be played on both PC and Portal Xbox 360. Already the company has received couple of pre-orders from a number of retailers.

Unlike the original Portal game, Portal 2 will actually not be launched with Episode 3 or any other PC games and it will be a huge standalone unleash, at full price.

The company is taking all measures to give Portal 2 a completely new series that will take the game in a slightly varied direction too along with an informative new Game article about new gameplay mechanics, storyline, and some surprising new twists.

It appears that co-op gameplay will be one of the latest features that will be introduced, with the end to the company’s new ARG finishing with the words "Cooperative Trial Completed", prior to verbalizing that the gamers will contacted when the live first phase of the Cooperative Testing Initiative is all set to take on the applicants.

Retailers have already leaked the storyline in market. With these new updations, players can explore new arenas of Aperture Science and the company has added two new characters in a distinct co-op campaign. The latest introduced characters will be bi-pedal robots - one of them will be an enhanced Turret and the other one will be a mobile GlaDOS unit. In Portal 2, co-op will work both ways online and locally along with latest arms like a tractor beam that is being added in the feature list.

The single player campaign will be introduced in Portal 2 but will still have star Chell. Aperture Labs have been devastated and worked on again during the time gap given between the end of the old game and the launch of the new game.

We will be back with more Portal 2 news as it comes in .Also will inform you of Portal 2 release date as it is announced. Write in your views to us about Portal 2 Valve.

• 3 months later...

@ sony's presser:

Valve to Deliver Blockbuster Sequel With Steamworks Support

June 15, 2010 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises and leading technologies, today announced that it will deliver Portal 2 on the PlayStation 3 platform simultaneously with previously announced platforms. The PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 will be the only console version to include Steamworks.

"When the PlayStation 3 was introduced, I was the one of the platform's biggest critics," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "However, Sony Computer Entertainment has proved that the PlayStation 3 is the most open platform of all the current generation consoles and has worked extremely hard to make the platform the most desirable for consumers and developers. As such, we are delighted to announce Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 and believe the Steamworks support included will make it the best console version of the game."

Portal 2 is the sequel to the title named "Game of the Year" 2007 by over 30 publications around the world. Portal 2 promises to break new ground in next generation gaming by expanding the award-winning recipe of innovative gameplay, immersive story, and creative inclusion of music while also introducing multiplayer co-op game modes.

On the PlayStation 3 Portal 2 will be supported by Steamworks, a complete suite of game features and services including auto updates, community features, downloadable content, and more. Previously deployed on the PC and the Mac, Valve's Steamworks development platform will make it possible to deliver the higher level of service gamers have come to expect.

"Valve is one of the industry's leading studios and Portal is one of the most innovative properties launched in the past 10 years," said Rob Dyer, senior vice president of publisher relations at Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Valve's decision to bring Portal 2 to the PlayStation 3 with Steamworks support is incredible validation of the power and openness and momentum of PlayStation 3."

Portal 2 is targeted for launch in 2011 on the PlayStation 3, PC, Mac and Xbox 360 platforms.

34ys9zp.jpg

no idea what cloud use means beyond storing saves online, but at least updates should be solid. here's to hoping for some form of modding...?

no idea, but if Valve's finally catching on that Sony's platform is more open than MS this gen, id love to see them expand Steam a bit after this. remember all that talk with UT about playing with PC people, access to mods, etc? ...yeah.

Do you know the biggest lesson that I've learned from what you did? We're a lot alike, you and I. You tested me. I tested you. You killed me. I...oh no wait...I guess I haven't killed you yet. Food for thought.

Steam could slip right into the PS3 dash/infrastructure a lot easier than it could on the 360. I was actually just talking about this last week with Mort, Steam is kind of its own platform. You have achievements, friends, all that shit that's on the big 2 consoles. The wise thing would be to buddy up real close and prepare for the next console generation with them ready to integrate at a moments notice.

I was assuming MS would be the ones to do it, since so many Steam games work in tandem with Games for Windows and they have more emphasis on download games, but it appears Sony has successfully courted the fair mistress.

This could be an awesome sign of things to come.

Edited by Thelogan Prime

• 1 month later...

i don't think anyone here needs to be sold on this, but here's some gameplay, anyway.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqdTFj9T2o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqdTFj9T2o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqdTFj9T2o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...