Hondo's Bar

TRON Legacy

Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund), the tech-savvy 27-year-old son of Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), looks into his father’s disappearance and finds himself pulled into the same world of fierce programs and gladiatorial games where his father has been living for 25 years. Along with Kevin’s loyal confidante (Olivia Wilde), father and son embark on a life-and-death journey across a visually-stunning cyber universe that has become far more advanced and exceedingly dangerous

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEbY9Q8dBE&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEbY9Q8dBE&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEbY9Q8dBE&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Baseless hate, and talking out your well-read arse, NZA. Original Tron had a fucking fascinating story. And just because it wasn't written by a toga-wearing boy-lover you don't rate it.

For reference, the sequel had a kinda story that by and large expanded on the source material. Greater emphasis was placed on sweet visuals and uppity prodigal sons. Oh, and super-hot native programs...

no...but i picked up on stories before then.

if you're saying it had a plot by which there were people talking and things which forcibly moved the camera from one place to another with bright lights in the background, i'm in full agreement: the definition of a plot does exist there. if you're saying there's a story where anything of note happens, you're crazy - but then again, you still think 100 Bullets' ending wasn't turrible

Original Tron had a fucking fascinating story.

mhfvio.jpg

yeah...saw it 2 or 3 times in the day, boring as hell/derivative shit that looked pretty at the time...if i'm the first person to bring to your attention, uh, that's a shame. when was the last time you saw it? sober, i mean. i didn't mean to fuck with your rose-tinted glasses here, seem to be hitting a nerve. :LOL:

100 bullets ended in a rushed, anticlimatic mess that you made peace with like star wars fans and the prequels - rereading it will change nothing. youve had like, what, a year and a half to write up an apologist explanation for it, and not tried once? fall back, son.

It does have a story. One that is very similar to one that's in the bible, but story none the less.

This. If Daft Punk put out a soundtrack to the bible, I'd pay attention to the mother fucker. Same is if God was played by The Dude. Tron2 is an automatic Blu Ray purchase from me though.

mhfvio.jpg

yeah...saw it 2 or 3 times in the day, boring as hell/derivative shit that looked pretty at the time...if i'm the first person to bring to your attention, uh, that's a shame. when was the last time you saw it? sober, i mean. i didn't mean to fuck with your rose-tinted glasses here, seem to be hitting a nerve. :LOL:

100 bullets ended in a rushed, anticlimatic mess that you made peace with like star wars fans and the prequels - rereading it will change nothing. youve had like, what, a year and a half to write up an apologist explanation for it, and not tried once? fall back, son.

Okay Nick, it's cute that you're dismissing this shit out of hand for whatever reason, Tron we'll move on from because as we all on Hondos are accutely aware, you're a well-read philosophy wanker, so if it doesn't come from a fucking textbook or faggoty underground hiphop record, you don't rate it. But one day, when you're done fapping to David Finch's pinch-faced art and whatever irrelevant shit Moon Knight is doing, reread 100 Bullets. I don't come tugging on your fuckin' cape asking you to explain Occam's Razor, likewise I'm not going to spell out the multitude of subtleties applied to that goddamned book. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, I'm just saying the ending made total sense and answered all relevant questions.

It ran for the anticipated 100 issues and is chock-fucking-full of wordplay, double entendre and shady manouvres. Is it possible while reading shitty scans occasionally on your PC you missed a thing or two? Maybe. If you had the vision of a fucking hawk you'd still miss things on the first pass, and frankly you'd still be seeing a half decent ending and a fuckin' coke machine.

Now reapply that entire diatribe to Tron, you condescending fuck.

this is amazing. it took like a year, but i finally got quiet vengeance on JZA for clowning on MJ's death by making him cry over Tron, of all things. i gotta admit, i always thought your tears would take more than asking "what was great about Tron's story, and can you make 100 bullets' ending not shitty, like you said you would at hondo's-con?" i'll chalk this one up to a bad day on your end, and your subpar public school education, of course :monocle:

TL;DR - im saying you get angry when you can't explain things with words because you're kind of dumb, i hope that wasn't too vague! :love:

and with that, i shall take my leave. you've been a great crowd!

fuckthisthreadbu4c.gif

Wait wait wait wait wait. Hold on, since when does TRON not have a story? I mean I concede that the effects were cheesy and all but it was a nice little epic, and the biblical references were a lot more subdued than a lot of other things (Like Superman, Ender's Game, Dune, Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Grapes of Wrath, Lord of the Flies, Harry Potter, Twelve Monkeys, The Matrix, Transformers, Cool Hand Luke, The Terminator, E.T.) fuck I honestly think TRON is based less on the bible than most things. Though it does have religious subtext, especially in the sequel.

Wait wait wait wait wait. Hold on, since when does TRON not have a story? I mean I concede that the effects were cheesy and all but it was a nice little epic, and the biblical references were a lot more subdued than a lot of other things (Like Superman, Ender's Game, Dune, Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Grapes of Wrath, Lord of the Flies, Harry Potter, Twelve Monkeys, The Matrix, Transformers, Cool Hand Luke, The Terminator, E.T.) fuck I honestly think TRON is based less on the bible than most things. Though it does have religious subtext, especially in the sequel.

I'm w/ Nick on this one. I think a lot of people I talk to about the original TRON are basing a lot of it on nostalgia and not the facts. Tron had a feeble narrative. Granted, it had--for the time especially--a very interesting premise. The acting was okay, the pacing and direction were lackluster to say the least. All in all making for a rather meh film.

Now, I grew up with a bin full of G.I. Joe toys and loved the TV show. That had pretty much everything to do w/ why I loved liked that film. But I'm not gonna have the gall to say it was a great film w/ an original (or even very good) story by any means. If I were to speak w/ someone honestly about my love for the Joe film, it'd need those nostalgic, childhood qualifiers.

So, fine, love your TRON all you want. But don't think I'll believe you when you're pissing on my head with a feeble story while telling me it's raining a great narrative.

And I agree the original TRON has many parallels w/ the New Testament that are more subdued when compared to other genre films such as Matrix, Narnia, etc. But it's pretty obvious the sequel has much more overt religious overtones that straddle both Eastern and Western religions.

I hear the arguments for films like Star Wars and Indiana Jones and TRON and the like and it's all "it was nostalgia" and I'm willing to bet that that's mostly the truth (especially with Temple of Doom) but the thing is I didn't see any of these movies until I was in high school, my fond childhood memory of TRON is "Hey, this movie looks cool. Wait, Dad, change the channel back I don't wanna watch The Waltons!"

I'll admit that TRON is what it is, it's a cheesy genre movie that Disney put out in the 80s, but when compared to other movies of the time (The Last Starfighter, The Black Hole, The Final Countdown, Race to Witch Mountain, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Batteries Not Included) it's quite a lot better than all that. It's a cheesy sci-fi movie produced primarily for kids, but it's also one of the better examples. When I sat down to watch this movie, after not having the chance to for seventeen years, I expected it to be a pile of shit tinged with nostalgia but I found out that it was actually pretty good. It's not a great movie, but it's still a long ways from being a bad movie.

Archived