Hondo's Bar

i ♥ hip-hop

The NZA

NZA - Agreed, that's an awful lot of work to just share some tracks. But when you were posting an entire playlist you'd often overlap tracks from, and it can make a page hella-annoying to see on a smartphone.

Can't you just save a youtube playlist then post a link to it? Or what about making it a weekly post of say 5-10 tracks. I definitely understand the urge to share new music immediately, but for me there's only so many hours in a day I can devote to new music, let alone just new hip-hop. So stuff you put in those long posts can either get overlooked or just plain ignored by me. Not all of us have hours at work to spend listening to new music. :2T:

step up your job search, son

i could do either singles or a playlist, but i'm trying to filter down what i like vs what i think might be enjoyed on here too, so its not entirely just a page for me to stream from. is it the youtube videos embedded on the page that gives you phone users shit? would it work better if i just hyperlinked stuff if there's more than a few?

still awaiting feedback on youtube videos & smartphones, kinda backing off this thread a bit but i still wanna share some stuff i've been put onto. first up is Cunninglynguists which i'd heard some before but never really given a chance, and a friend of mine pushed Kno (same who did Death is Silent, one of my favorites from last year) as a producer in the tier of Dilla and Nujabes, which is very high for my personal tastes, so i had to check him out...some pretty good stuff here:

^that might be RJD2, to be fair

i preemptively apologize for the lack of autotune :troll:

speaking of production, here's a new Ross track that Alchemist carries

finally, a snippet from Wu vs Shaolin: Raekwon & Nas - Rich & black

it's a b-side from Nas, but Rae's verse is solid.

ps Redman's longest video evarrrrr

kinda trying to not just talk @ the same 5 artists here, but i gotta:

Joell+Ortiz+Nas.png

...another "we'll see" for me, cause ive heard this before - Untitled had its moments, Distant Relatives was great for what it was, but Nas still has a bad ear for production these last few years. i'd love to see some Illmatic shit with Large Professor, Q-Tip, DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Sermon etc but at this point, id really just love to hear him over Alchemist, 9th Wonder, and the kinda talent he's been passing on for lazy cash-in shit like Alex da Kid (if i see his name or Boi 1da, Lex Luger etc, ima be sad). the fact that we know he's working with legendary No ID is a really good sign for me though, so i'm staying positive.

id really love to see more of his stuff with Kanye. Poppa was a playa, Still dreaming and this one really benefit from Ye's work:

Lost Tapes is a great example of what i'm looking for, both lyrically and production-wise. Not gonna lie, Nas sending Rae a used verse for Shaolin vs Wu-Tang was a letdown, i hope this album shows where he's been.

for hakus: Lupe goes lazy on a HAM freestyle

for panch: Em goes lazy on a (thankfully) unreleased Relapse track, i'm assuming.

for NZA: Tyler the Creator & OddFuture go hard on Jimmy Fallon with The Roots & Mos - pretty weird set, but considering the average live hip-hop performance, good on them. Mos swagging the fuck out at the end was a trip.

nah, i dont know/think he is working with him, but i kinda wish he was. Ye did wonders for Com...and yeah, i took "hungry" to mean lyrically, but some of his racial stuff on his last album was tight. i dug the Rakim bio he did a while back, was waiting to hear the next one on KRS-1.

i don't know what's up with that site; it doesn't always stream for me, either.

kinda trying to not just talk @ the same 5 artists here, but i gotta:

for hakus: Lupe goes lazy on a HAM freestyle

for panch: Em goes lazy on a (thankfully) unreleased Relapse track, i'm assuming.

for NZA: Tyler the Creator & OddFuture go hard on Jimmy Fallon with The Roots & Mos - pretty weird set, but considering the average live hip-hop performance, good on them. Mos swagging the fuck out at the end was a trip.

didn't bother on the first 2 as i'm in no mood to DL shiz plus you called 'em lazy. saw the third one and have never felt more like an old man: what's that he's saying? why wear masks? why's that girl in a hospital gown? and why is he yelling at her? oi vey!

and I'll take your word on the MF DOOM Ghostface colab(?) as the link is dead.

freshmen-inside.jpg

in the interest of keeping this thread current, let's talk about this crowd.

31foupirt0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

K.R.I.T. was already big on the mixtape scene, but this album's got love from all over, and already being heralded as a classic by some. Featuring Curen$y, Wiz Khalifa, Devin the Dude & Smoke DZA (not a bad opening lineup) plus he does his own beats & engineering so that's a big plus. here's something off that:

Kendrick Lamar got attention off his self-titled EP and O.D., he's getting a lotta buzz so here's his stuff, see what you think of it (i dig the ones i posted, but the rest of his stuff is hit/miss for me, i can totally see why he's on right now though):

Lil B is the BASED GOD. i'm not gonna annoint this thread with this blessings, just youtube BASEDGOD, dude does like 3 tracks a day, haha.

likewise, i posted Yelawolf a page or so back, but now that he's signed with Shady you'll likely hear more from him either way.

Fred the Godson (never heard of dude before, i admit) apparently comes out of Jadakiss/Styles P's camp,

the rest of em i'd have to dig up stuff on. i've heard XV on other stuff but it didn't stand out.

one guy that i thought was a shame to omit from here is Danny Brown, this has been my favorite track from the dude so far:

check out some of the new guys, and post your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick likes to take potshots at this guy, but this is a great song featuring the new singer du jour Skylar Grey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btQKGvVRnZ8

I'm getting into his new album now; hopefully there's more gems like this one in there.

And I just did a little searching on this Skylar Grey. Turns out she's been around for a few years. Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park discovered her and put her on his solo album back when she called herself Holly Brook. She also put out a solo album under that name.

So how did she get involved as a go-to singer for hip-hop artists? Turns out she wrote a lil' song called "Love The Way You Lie."

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Upvote 1

Haku - thoughts @ Lasers? personally, it was every bit as disappointing as it was lining up to be after all those delays, for me -

was like the only standout track. your mileage may of course vary.

thought you might enjoy one of the b-sides that didn't make the album: stereo sun

oh, you might dig - childish gambino (the free EP from your boy Donald Glover)

more stuff:

Tyler the Creator & OFWGKTA with N.E.R.D. & Beyonce. really cool seeing talent working with talent.

sDTeM.jpg

9UmEp.jpg

The Game - Monsters in my head - dude's best track in like forever.

also, Shaolin vs Wu-Tang is the truth. best Wu collective effort since OB4CL2. my favorites:

so much quality. there's a few tracks to skip no doubt, but it's bangin otherwise.

i'm pretty much out - just wanted to make sure this thread wasn't people talking about the same 2 or 3 artists. i love discovering & sharing new shit, so again: The Illz, Curren$y, big K.R.I.T. and others here > a lot of what's being played right now, so don't go convincing yourself that young money are the only ones putting out music these days (likewise: based on "I need a doctor" and "kush", i think i'm done waiting on detox). anyway, listen to what you like - peace, hondo's!

PS for those looking to be put onto more stuff in the future:

2dobeboyz - lotta leaks go here, they stream em too which is always nice

the smoking section - less industry gossip than SOHH

one true sound - good blog if you're hip to instrumental stuff like Nujabes

Not really blown away by LASERS like I was w/ Kanye's latest or even Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon. I still only gave it a cursory listen, but "All Black Everything" is definitely an interesting track lyrically. Show Must Go On and Words I Never Said are still my favorite tracks off the album.

And I really dig those Raekwon samples! Hills is my fave of those you posted. I want an instrumental track of Snake Pond. I love that beat!

• Upvote 1

you and me both. i think Rae's mission here - remind RZA where they want the Wu sound to be - is completely mission accomplished on his end, we'll see if it has the intended effect. OB4CL2 showed Dilla putting down one of the hardest classic wu beats, but snake pond was...Selasi? never even heard of him, but so good nonetheless.

Mathematics is a longtime producer for wu (mostly Meth), but getting Alchemist, Scram Jones & co were really good calls. check this one out for more in that vein:

oh yeah, if you get a chance, lemme know what you think @ childish gambino link, ive not listened to it yet but buzz about it is pretty good.

Srsly though, I've never heard that song before.

il9WOS.gif

All dogs go to heaven - Game's tribute to Nate

MF DOOM news, doing shit with Yorke (Radiohead)

Masked hip-hop maverick DOOM, previously known as MF Doom, has revealed that he's working with Burial and Four Tet collaborator Thom Yorke on a new album.

In an interview with 3D World DOOM reveals that he's "doing some stuff with Thom Yorke… we're working on some duets, some duet songs and shit. Just like preliminary shit but we'll probably end up doing a whole record together… he's cool – he got a lot of ill ass ideas and shit, you know."

The Radiohead frontman is a longtime DOOM fan and his remix of the track Gazzillion Ear featured as a bonus track on DOOM's 2009 album Born Like This.

DOOM, who will make his Australian début next week, also mentions in the interview that he's finishing up a new Madvillian record and doing an album for Williams Street Records with Adult Swim.

anyway, i still love Jay Electronica. Jigga had to know dude's not gonna blow up, but to quote a friend, i think he'll get that huge niche love like Questlove, Cee Lo etc. i mean, i love shit like this:

shoulda known @ him since he did shit for nas:

finally, Oneirology by Cunninlynguists dropped, and i'm prepared to say this: Kno's mic skills are never really my favorite, but his production is amongst the best out there, my opinion. on that note, off said album, here' s a rare instance i found of hip hop going acapella and sounding great.

*edit:

, holy shit. 1/3 so far. Edited by The NZA
alright, so i'm almost out, anyway

• 2 weeks later...