Hondo's Bar

i ♥ hip-hop

The NZA

well,

, the bar has finally been lowered :2T:

this week's been all Tyler - Goblin, Mushroom jazz vol 7, Elzhi - Elmatic (interesting Illmatic cover) and oddisee, which ill post more of later, fun shit. here's one for now:

so yeah, post your summer jams, hondos!

well,

, the bar has finally been lowered :2T:

Damn, it all becomes so clear to me now. If I wanna be straight ballin' I needs me a Snickers jacket. How could I have not seen it before!?!?!

And I DL'd the Goblin album but quickly deleted it. I wasn't feelin' it. Overhyped.

I dig that Oddisee song though.

cooking4ioi.gif

i get that. again, it's not for squares everybody. tyler's more horrorcore (though dude hates the term), but OFWGKTA has a lotta members with different sounds, chances are you might dig Mellowhype or Frank Ocean. im working through their catalog this week, i'll try to post highlights. meantime, FREE EARL

Common - Ghetto dreams (snippet - full track features Nas, production by No I.D., Kanye's mentor)

new Drake track off Take Care, not a single though:

and of course, a tribute to the recently lost....R.I.P.

^^

Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Sorry, Logans. I'd +1 ya for that video, but I already got ya for the Green Lantern Toast vid.

And, in hippster coverband news, this couple has had a total hip-hopster make over. Yes, they've bred a new term, which I'm ™ & © to HakujINdustries (A subsidiary of Awesome Inc.).

Notice how their look & sound changes from an earlier youtube cover video . . .

To this rage inducing* performance w/ The Roots . . .

*Rage inducing for several reasons:

1. White girl coping flow/style of Nikki Minaj, who is a Black girl that sounds white (at times), is almost too ironic to process

2. Giving more attention to Chris Brown is just wrong.

3. Pomplamoose did it first

4. I actually kinda like it and that makes me hate myself which makes me hate them even more. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

rick looks like a boss in God Hand, for real. dude's too lazy to even lip sync his verse!

yeah, she looks good, and yeah, her album was garbage (by everyone who's not her, or iceman, apparently). i can't clown on her verse there, though; ghostwritten or not, she outshined Jay. it's not hard to do lately, but she's so many tiers below him, it's still impressive to see.

finally burning through my backlog! today: Bahamida, Blu & Exile, Redman, Rick Ross, some Pete Rock stuff on Iron Lyon, and Bus Driver.

I thought Hova's verse on "Monster" was pretty good. Certainly better than any of Ye's on that joint. However, I just meant Minaj's verse was more fun to look at in the video. Say what you want about her skills (Christ, Nick trolls way too many hip-hop boards) but she's hip-pop royalty. New money, for sure though. Besides, the core hip-hop community (i.e. mostly angry young men) always clown successful female rappers. You could ask EVE, Lil' Kim or Foxy if anyone could find their careers them.

(Christ, Nick trolls way too many hip-hop boards)

sup irony

Jay's done worse verses in the last few years, my point was even a lazy verse in his day shouldve run circles around her best efforts. like i said, a lotta people's favorites (mine too) are past their prime is all.

i dont disagree @ how female rappers get treated, though - just type "minaj diss" into youtube and see how many past chicks and complete nobobies you find. if panch's thread on female MCs was more serious, idve highlighted some of the really talented ones we've had, but the era for most of them (when you didnt have to try to be a sex symbol, too) has sadly kinda passed.

ps fuck man look at the lineup for this year's gathering of the fucking juggalos:

DJ Quik (they spelled it DJ Quick).

Juvenile

Mystikal

George Clinton

MC Hammer

Tech N9ne

E40

Vanilla Ice

Xzibit

ICE CUBE

BUSTA RHYMES

cot damn. NOT ONE FUCKIN WORK PETE

Whoa, MTV still puts out UnPlugged shows apparently. And apparently they have nothing to do w/ acoustic sets anymore...

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:661019/cp~id%3D1665131%26vid%3D661019%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A661019" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Tags: <a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/lil_wayne/artist.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Lil Wayne</a>, <a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Music</a>, <a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/video/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">More Music Videos</a></p></div></div>

And who was that chick back in the day that used to sport the nose-ring-to-ear chain all the time?

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

happy 40th birthday to 2Pac, one of hip hop's finest. was just bumping All Eyez On Me this week and trying to picture what he would've brought us as he grew as an artist; dude died young as fuck (25) and started out so young, he's one of the few that you could really follow and feel him grow as an artist...i loved 2Pacalypse & Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z, but it's a different man on Me Against the World and beyond. i'dve loved to see what he had in this 30's...anyway, R.I.P.