Hondo's Bar

Duke Nukem Forever

The NZA

source - yup, no joke this time, premiered at PAX.

Official Site

http://dukenukemforever.com/

dnf_bg.jpg

Originally Posted by Press Release: TTWO press release

Hail to the King! 2K Games Announces Duke Nukem Forever® - Seriously - Flying Pigs Spotted Heading Towards Penny Arcade Expo

Press Release Source: Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. On Friday September 3, 2010, 3:30 pm

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games and Gearbox Software announced today that forever is nearly here, as Duke Nukem Forever® will officially make its long-awaited debut for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in calendar 2011. Duke Nukem, the interactive entertainment industry’s most irreverent and quoted character of all time, will bring his signature brand of babe-lovin’, cigar-smoking, beer-chugging and ass-kicking action as he once again saves the Earth and our babes from hordes of invading aliens. In other shocking news, Duke Nukem Forever will be playable right now for all attendees 17 and older of this year’s Penny Arcade Expo at the 2K Booth (booth #3417), giving the first hands-on experience with the game that was originally announced during the tail end of the Clinton Administration.

"All great things take time... a lot of time," laughs Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "After a hiatus from the video game world, Duke Nukem is back and better than ever. The return of the King from the glory days of shooters will satisfy our patient, die-hard fans, as well as a new generation of bubble gum-chewing, flat top and shades-wearing bad-asses. Make no mistake about it - Duke Nukem Forever is a testament to the era of when shooters were bodacious and fun."

Put on your sunglasses and prepare to step into the boots of Duke Nukem, whose legend has reached epic proportions in the years since his last adventure. The alien hordes are back and only Duke can save the world, again. Pig cops, alien shrink rays and enormous alien bosses won’t stop our hero from accomplishing his one and only goal: to save the world, save the babes and to be a bad-ass while doing it. The King of All Shooters is back with over-the-top weapons, massive aliens and unprecedented levels of interactivity. This game puts pedal to the metal and tongue firmly in cheek, among other places. Shoot hoops, lift weights, read adult magazines, draw crude messages on whiteboards or ogle one of the many beautiful women that populate Duke’s life; that is if you can pull yourself away long enough from kicking ass and taking names. Duke Nukem was and will forever be immortalized in gaming history, and this is his legend.

“Hail to the king, baby! It's unbelievable, it kicks ass and it's totally going to happen!” said Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software, "Gearbox has enabled die-hard key Duke Nukem franchise builders and skilled veteran game makers to stand together and deliver. All gamers deserve a happy ending and after all of us gamers feeling the full range of emotions about Duke Nukem Forever, I am thrilled to be in a position with the trust, power and means to make it happen. Am I crazy? Balls of steel, baby, balls of steel!”

Duke Nukem Forever is currently in development for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Windows PC and is not yet rated by the ESRB. 2K Games has the exclusive, long-term publishing rights to the game. To catch your first glimpse of the Duke Nukem Forever experience please visit www.dukenukem.com.

2K Games is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO - News).

Previews

wired

Kotaku

IGN

Gameplay Videos

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pa...e-nukem/704001

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pa...e-nukem/704013

Screenshots

29nyvzr.jpg

1.jpg

duke_steroids7mmx.jpg

img_1677-w1000cjxj.jpg

img_1681-w1000skda.jpg

img_1682-w1000x76n.jpg

img_1684-w1000fmkk.jpg

img_1685-w1000871d.jpg

img_1688-w1000gkse.jpg

img_1689-w1000jwe7.jpg

img_1696-w1000o74g.jpg

img_1698-w10002vgg.jpg

img_1699-w1000_01oj4j.jpg

img_1700-w1000_01tj4i.jpg

img_1702-w100028vz.jpg

img_1703-w10008jd7.jpg

img_1707-w1000fkej.jpg

img_1709-w10002w0f.jpg

img_1710-w1000w7ke.jpg

Controls

img_1712-w1000n7vr.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God bless Gearbox for making this happen and showing Halo gamers what real truck-nuts owning, red blooded misogynistic meth heads should be playing. (In all seriousness I am giddy like a bitch over this, I'm one of the few people who still really genuinely wanted to play this. And the fact that the people behind Half-Life: Opposing Force and Borderlands are behind its existence just pleases me even more)

I'll believe it when it releases. We saw all sort of gameplay years ago and it was canceled and then again and again and so on.

Yes but all of the people responsible for that are now fired. Not to mention this isn't gameplay "footage", it's actual gameplay that real people did with controllers and everything.

Ok I know a lot of people are all excited about this game coming out or at least it being somewhat more of a reality than it has been in the last few years but has anyone really stopped to consider if we really need this game in our lives? I mean I did play Duke 3-D when I was younger (read: A LOT YOUNGER) but does Duke 3-D really hold up in a way (ie: like DOOM) that you play it again and go: "Damn this is what I've been missing in life, a chance to shoot pig people and give strippers money while quoting Bruce Campbell". Hell that's like a Friday night in Alabama.

I'm not saying I wont give it an honest shot when it comes out, i'm just saying that I think people are on some fucking hype train about this game that should not even exist. Fuck, if people are this excited about Duke maybe they should announce a new version of BLOOD or Rise of the Triad.

Man, Baytor's come over all "PC gamers are the historical Jews of gaming" what with their resourcefulness & ability to withstand adversity.

I fear I might have overslept and am not making a lot of sense

i live for moments when you do this kinda thing. :love:

bindu - depends on the end product; if its something that's a time capsule to this 90's amalgam of 80's type stuff and ends up being a tongue-in-cheek, really fun deathmatch experience that stands apart from the WWII/modern day COD/space marine stuff that's so standard right now, it'll be celebrated to the high heavens. if not...it's gonna be a punchline, then forgotten, i'm guessing.

think SW episode 1, or G&R chinese democracy - some expectations are gonna be unfulfillable, but on the other hand, there's a short list of specific things expected here, and if it just delivers on them, not much more's gonna be expected - i.e., well-written dialogue, innovative physics, top-end graphics etc aren't even on the table, id argue it's already got that going for it

The key here I think above all else is going to be dialog. We can SEE the game looks good (subjective) and we hear it plays well (see point 1) but one of the keys of Duke is dialog and while he never had much back in the day it was enough to make us laugh and carry on with what was ultimately a sub-par shooter. Humor is very hard to do, especially in video games. Like all things funny, timing is key but also the ability to not make the one liners so fucking repetitive that you grow tired of it. (Can you really laugh at "Shake it baby" for an hour straight? If so you're a better [read: worse] man than I.) Face it, he was a two dimensional character no matter what his box told us. It would be like trying to give Rambo a deep personality in whatever schlock-fest movie they whip up for him next. All I can say is good luck.

you could very well be right - but again, the fanbase embraced the crap out of him years back knowing he was, as you said, just regurgitating Bruce Campbell lines. granted, the last decade has (tragically) had a drought of Schwarzenegger-esque awful one-liners (cant imagine they're gonna borrow from CSI...), but again, i think that's about the easiest element of the formula to emulate. by your own token: the people that were cool with "shake it, baby" for an hour are likely gonna relish hearing it again in surround-sound...cue maldron equating nostalgia & poison here.

i again could be way off-base here...but any attempt to give him personality, like you said, is gonna likely be met with negativity, and "that's not Duke!" as if there was enough there to care of his plight. i still haven't watched the newest Rambo flick, but i understand the fan-love of it came from delivering (and upping the ante on) the heavy violence the old classics built themselves around. i'm taking far too many words here to say: boot up the old game, and lower your expectation if you wanna enjoy whatever becomes of this. that said, you totally don't have to, this might end up not being for either of us.

Ok I know a lot of people are all excited about this game coming out or at least it being somewhat more of a reality than it has been in the last few years but has anyone really stopped to consider if we really need this game in our lives? I mean I did play Duke 3-D when I was younger (read: A LOT YOUNGER) but does Duke 3-D really hold up in a way (ie: like DOOM) that you play it again and go: "Damn this is what I've been missing in life, a chance to shoot pig people and give strippers money while quoting Bruce Campbell". Hell that's like a Friday night in Alabama.

I'm not saying I wont give it an honest shot when it comes out, i'm just saying that I think people are on some fucking hype train about this game that should not even exist. Fuck, if people are this excited about Duke maybe they should announce a new version of BLOOD or Rise of the Triad.

While FPS games have broken some new ground, traveling into the puzzle (Portal), RPG (Fallout 3), and Survival Horror (Condemned) genre, the simple fact is that Half-Life 2 Episode 3 is nowhere in sight, Halo is done, and Half-Life in SpaceDoom 3 and Quake 4 sucked and Wolfenstine was mediocre at best. Otherwise we're surrounded by games with a stronger emphasis on squad-based tactics, tournament play, or online multiplayer moreso than a fun story where you get a bunch of awesome weapons and go save the world. In a world of samey grainy brown war games where 12 year olds call you a faggot jew for playing well, Duke Nukem is exactly what we need. We need a fun shooter with a big arsenal and a hero that's so completely wrong that he's awesome and we haven't had that for a long time. Because, last I checked, Serious Sam 2 sucked. Also Blood 3 and Revenge of the Triad 2 are also things I would be excited about because they would be awesome.

Well, I don't know how someone could compare Duke Nuken to Rambo and have that go unchallenged. The first Rambo movie (First Blood) was a legitimately good film dealing with post-traumatic stress, reintegration into society after war, police brutality, and public disdain for Vietnam war veterans. But even if you dismiss First Blood, even the Rambo in the sequels was fucking Hamlet compared to Duke.

Well, fuck Quake. But since you mention it.

Quake is a first-person shooter video game that was released by id Software on June 22, 1996

Duke Nukem 3D is a first-person shooter computer game developed by 3D Realms and published by Apogee Software. It was released on January 29, 1996 for the PC

I'm willing to try and make peace here, given that both games came out within MONTHS of one another and that in theory the development teams had no idea what the other one was working on that both games had a major impact in the industry.

Duke did what Quake did, just with Doom graphics.

you gotta admit, in terms of FPS history/contributions, Quake 1 was huge, and not just cause of Reznor. Duke stood out for not taking itself seriously, and having fun multiplayer....it's not the footnote that say, Serious Sam was, but i do get what bindu's going for: Goldeneye is gonna get ported and despite the amazing time i had with that game, i dont expect it to make much larger an impact right now than the Perfect Dark re-release did. i only see Duke being potentially huge here, again, cause of a) nostaligia and b) 15 years later, when FPS are the new platformers, one that doesn't treat itself like SERIOUS BUSINESS the whole way through is bound to stand out (i.e., id argue Team Fortress 2's art style is a big part of its initial appeal).

what the fuck any of that has to do with dialogue/"deep" character in the first rambo movie is beyond me

I thought Reznor only worked on Quake 2. Anyways Reznor's music is only a footnote to Frank Klepacki's epic rock/techno songs in Command and Conquer.

By the way Quake 2 is probably the best straight foward FPS. Of course Half-Life wins at the thinking man's FPS. Although I always liked Opposing Force better than HL. Shepard shit all over Freeman with his better guns and the Squad based levels.

By the way Quake 2 is probably the best straight foward FPS. Of course Half-Life wins at the thinking man's FPS. Although I always liked Opposing Force better than HL. Shepard shit all over Freeman with his better guns and the Squad based levels.

Shepard was the fucking man, fuck Freeman's Bee Hand, it was all about the Shock Roach. He also had a portal gun before they sold out and went all mainstream.

The squad levels... they did not show themselves as a great example of good AI, or at least good collision detection anyway. Still, fucking awesome game and no doubt better than the original (and just think, those people are the ones behind this coming out!)

Archived