Hondo's Bar

Fear Itself

The NZA

UrNP9.jpg

says wiki:

"Fear Itself" is a seven-issue crossover comic book storyline scheduled to be published by Marvel Comics in 2011. The core eponymous miniseries will be written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by Stuart Immonen, Wayne Von Grawbadger, and Laura Martin, while the prologue book starring Captain America and Namor will be produced by writer Ed Brubaker and artist Scott Eaton.

a lotta good names there. on the event:

"Fear Itself" was first announced by Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada, Vice President Executive Editor Tom Brevoort and Vice President and X-Men group editor Axel Alonso in a December 21, 2010 press conference at Midtown Comics Times Square. Quesada explained that like the 2006 storyline "Civil War", the storyline of "Fear Itself" was inspired by the real world, in particular the perceived malaise and fear evoked by late 2000s events such as terror alerts, oil spills, the economy and partisan politics. Explains Quesada:

"The climate in the world today was certainly the inspiration for this as we started to think about the bigger stories for the Marvel Universe," Marvel editor in chief Joe Quesada said at a press conference at Midtown Comics in Manhattan. "You will absolutely see the real world inject itself into this story because it's undeniable that there's a certain something in the air right now…we tend to tap into that whether consciously or unconsciously and it effects all our stories."

(i'm aware not everyone enjoyed Civil War as much as i did, but if you don't think Marvel's got a long history of trying to do this kinda thing - injecting pop culture/politics into its books - well, they do, and it's the reason we have books like X-Men).

the teasers are fun as usual, following Messiah War i think the Cyk one is the most compelling, as ive been waiting for this to be delved into. Thor and others as well (wiki mentioned spidey's is being able to "see into tomorrow" which theyve been toying with the idea of spider-sense being a latent clairvoyancy for years now, though it could just be his fear of how bad shit can get for him), here they be:

OKfMj.jpg

(yeah, apparently that's Dracula on the left there...i dug old-school Tomb of Dracula, let's see how this fares?)

YprFF.jpg1AlY6.jpgg2T3P.jpgxsUIT.jpgJWUZ0.jpgOza2z.jpg

for details, CBR has an interview up.

me, i wanna know how Phobos is coming back from what happened in Secret Warriors.

mals - im taking it that spidey is seeing a repeat of these things, as in, what looks like radioactive signs over the northeast would raise the terror alert, and not help the economy either. id imagine most TVs would have stuff like that on loop.

mals - spidey can't catch a break, though, so he gets all that plus he's often homeless and has to bum wheat cakes off of aunt may.

• 2 months later...

OK, so I've been lax in my Marvel U reading since Siege. When exactly did the Red Skull's daughter get all Red Skull-ified? And as for the Norse/Thor stuff

...are Skadi and her father characters from previously in the book or out of Norse mythology? And Wasn't Odin dead? Did he return in the Thor book? Wasn't there another Norse guy in charge of Asgard during siege that Loki tricked? He also banished Thor from Asgard, no? And is this impudent sonr shctick kind of old hat for Thor by now? I realize it coincides nicely w/ the upcoming film, but shouldn't the actual Marvel U Thor kind of learned his lesson by this point when it comes to Big Poppa Odin?

lotta questions there, but i had em too.

the whole thing with Sin becoming the next Red Skull went down in Captain America (the actual transformation at the end of his return book, cap reborn).

norse stuff:

im assuming its mythological unless shit was referenced eslewhere, there's no wiki page on that character prior either. i too was asking when the fuck Odin came back, presumably when Asgard & the gods died before JMS' book? since Hela had no realm, that mightve freed Odin, but then there was that issue when Thor talked to him in the land of the dead, so ive got no clue. i stopped reading Thor after Siege, so im assuming his return went down there.

the guy Loki tricked that was in charge was Baldur, and Thor was banished on an old law because he (unkowingly) killed Borr, Odin's father (loki's doing of course). i wanna say the banishing ended when the kingdom did, from the Siege.

and i figure it like this: Thor's acted as king already, so its not gonna be easy to hear Odin out on his shit. i do think he should've recalled who the hammer answers to, though...this has gotta be why he left his old man dead.

Ah, I so need to catch up on my Cap reading. I never read the Reborn mini and have been out of the loop on his monthly title as well. And as for the Norse stuff, the wiki you linked had nothing really on that funky hammer. But I'm assuming this guy is her pops. He fits the bill according to what we've seen in the first issue. I just hope the story picks up a bit; I found the pacing a bit tedious. Also, not sure how well these "real world" problems and fears will factor in to the Marvel U.

sadly, much as i had fun with civil war, if that's any indicator, the real world stuff will be just as ham-fisted as it's always been.

cap's solo series has been great, cause its been the same writer/artist for years now. I wish i could, but i honestly cant recommend cap: reborn, though - newt was right, it felt like a rush-job to bring Steve back, and the whole

he wasnt really dead, just trapped in another dimension thing was every bit as shitty as it was for Bats, ironically.

considering how far in advance brubaker seemed to have other events go down - and i was impressed he got joe Q to let him off Cap in his own book, rather than Civil War - i'd expected better from it.

yeah, saw your wiki page....guess the hammer is some nazi thing they're just making up? im almost surprised at how little build-up this event got compared to the others. that said, no way am i touching that frontline book.

the last few years of X-men continuity, i'd say.

if you're not reading Cap, yeah that'd bring you up to speed here...Spidey cant hurt, neither can Avenger stuff but if you manage to get caught up on Thor, i think you'll know more here than chris & I do.

Am interested enough to do some prereading, I guess Thor, Cap, maybe some Spiderman?

where the fuck did that Cyclops image come from?

As someone who's been catching up on the last few years of X-men as we speak, i'd wager that image has come around because of the direction scotts been taking the x-men in. Ever since the whole "by the way Charles has been fucking with your memories all these years" He's starting to lose it.

Oh and i'm sure banging the white queen has NOTHING to do with it.

274857548.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1302542771&Signature=L7wXyZ%2F%2BoBmNyzLMaR%2BToV8dkLc%3D

Nick, good to know about REBORN. I dropped off the book a few issues before that whole REBORN thing began and haven't picked it back up.It lost its mojo for me after Bucky uncovered the whole conspiracy to kill Steve.

And ditto on the avoidance of the Frontline book. I haven't read one of those since WWHulk.

As someone who's been catching up on the last few years of X-men as we speak, i'd wager that image has come around because of the direction scotts been taking the x-men in. Ever since the whole "by the way Charles has been fucking with your memories all these years" He's starting to lose it.

Oh and i'm sure banging the white queen has NOTHING to do with it.

274857548.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1302542771&Signature=L7wXyZ%2F%2BoBmNyzLMaR%2BToV8dkLc%3D

:blink: i.did.not.know.that.

I'm so behind on X-Men it's not even funny. I keep DL'n the books every month in an attempt to fool myself into thinking I'll actually read them one day.

i really dug the X-men stuff, from Messiah War all the way up to when i dropped it when the dumb vampire stuff started up a whil back.

im not sure i recall what bindy's referencing, Xavier did mess with things here & there but i dont recall them mentioning memories, specifically? the image is mainly because Scott has been crazy militant and since they officially went into being an endangered species, he moved them all off the coast of san fran to a separate island, with Stab X-force becoming this covert team of :wolvy: and co acting as hitmen for any potential threats. Magneto's been in full support because when it looked like they were gonna die out, Scott basically ditched Xavier's ideology completely and turned to mag's playbook. it's part of the reason why Beast and some of the older members turned their back on the team.

Didn't Brubaker touch on Xavier mind-diddling in Deadly Genesis. If I remember, Prof X made everyone forget about his FIRST X-men team, when thier first mission ended horribly.

the image is mainly because Scott has been crazy militant and since they officially went into being an endangered species, he moved them all off the coast of san fran to a separate island, with Stab X-force becoming this covert team of and co acting as hitmen for any potential threats. Magneto's been in full support because when it looked like they were gonna die out, Scott basically ditched Xavier's ideology completely and turned to mag's playbook. it's part of the reason why Beast and some of the older members turned their back on the team.

Correct on both accounts. Remember i've been catching up on years of X-titles (everything post M-day) in the last few months, so it's been bluring together. My Emperor Vulcan TPB and X-force 1 should be arriving tomorrow.

Beast was always too smart to completely buy Xavier's hypocritical bullshit, even if he wasn't always vocal about it (I bet he was smart enough not to think it too loud as well...)I think he just comes back occasionally out of genetic loyalty, and that it's the lesser of two evils.

Xavier never ever sat right with me. Is it a coincidence that half his male team members have inexplicably fallen "in love" with a female member of the team? Especially the ones who are both useful and have expressed interest in leaving.

If you want humanity to accept you so much, why dress your students in gaudy outfits and advertise how obviously different they are? If you want peace, why do you take these children and give them intense, secret paramilitary training and send them out to risk their lives in your name? Is the only purpose of these genetic gifts to come up with more interesting ways to punch people in the face? (Not you, Doug Ramsey. You don't count. We'll get you an alien sidekick and let you go all Voltron every once in a while, though) It's all a load of horseshit, and I think it's all just been a long time pissing contest between two scornful ex-lovers.

Once again, let me write it. I can completely destroy nigh 50 years of beloved history within the span of a couple of months.

I've referenced my Xavier beef previously and fuck me you've put a lot more thought into yours, but I've always just figured that Xavier's integrationist ideology was a crock of shit when, as Logans said- he's training his own fuckng army. That and the fact that while he makes such a big colourful noise about human & mutant getting along, he generates as many casualties(both human & mutant) as Magneto but manages to maintain a moral highground, somehow.

Having not finished that abonination of a book Deadly Genesis and not read any Xbooks past Whedon's Astonishing & the Hope trilogy(or w/e that's called), what further evidence is there of his jerk-offery?

ah, fuck! my bad bindy, you/space were dead-on, i totally forgot about the Xavier villification a few years back (the first new team being lost/what he did with the danger room in astonishing x-men, etc).

Unlike cynical bastard Logans, i was mostly ok with Xavier teaching kids how to harness their powers, mostly cause it looked like if he did so, the gov't would stay the fuck out. the only parts i didnt buy were a) none of them being out of hand and killing people (the Ultimate X-Men one issue where some kid kills his town and hides in a cave until :wolvy: comes for him with a sixpack is still one of my favorite x-stories), and b) that he never read people's minds. i liked it in the late 90s/early 2000s where Xavier stopped pretending to not be doing this...when Logan went missing, the team went searching for him at a mercenary group he frequented, and when the prof asked too many questions, a guard shot him...only to reveal that never happened, and he just wanted to let the scenario play out in the merc's heads to see how far they'd take it (before mentally paralyzing them and taking the info he came for). oh, and the seemingly limitless funding for a mansion destroyed at least annually was always questionable.

as for the colorful costumes, i thought Cyk bringing those back in Astonishing was like the last bit of shitting up the remains of Grant Morisson's legacy, as uniforms make no sense other than to have Jim Lee save some time in the day. you know what was one of the many awesome moments of New X-Men? Having scott meet Logan in a bar and bitch about being about 40 years old, living with a bunch of other single people and going on "missions", and how fucking weird that was when you think about it.

you know what was one of the many awesome moments of New X-Men? Having scott meet Logan in a bar and bitch about being about 40 years old, living with a bunch of other single people and going on "missions", and how fucking weird that was when you think about it.

Having JUST finished this miniseries I agree completely. I also kinda liked the the Wolverine/Sabertooth in the pisser conversation.

Beast was always too smart to completely buy Xavier's hypocritical bullshit, even if he wasn't always vocal about it (I bet he was smart enough not to think it too loud as well...)I think he just comes back occasionally out of genetic loyalty, and that it's the lesser of two evils.

Xavier never ever sat right with me. Is it a coincidence that half his male team members have inexplicably fallen "in love" with a female member of the team? Especially the ones who are both useful and have expressed interest in leaving.

If you want humanity to accept you so much, why dress your students in gaudy outfits and advertise how obviously different they are? If you want peace, why do you take these children and give them intense, secret paramilitary training and send them out to risk their lives in your name? Is the only purpose of these genetic gifts to come up with more interesting ways to punch people in the face? (Not you, Doug Ramsey. You don't count. We'll get you an alien sidekick and let you go all Voltron every once in a while, though) It's all a load of horseshit, and I think it's all just been a long time pissing contest between two scornful ex-lovers.

Once again, let me write it. I can completely destroy nigh 50 years of beloved history within the span of a couple of months.

You're secretly Warren Ellis, aren't you? And don't lie to me, I've seen you, you're large enough to hold an angry comic writer inside like that fat lady from Total Recall.

You're secretly Warren Ellis, aren't you? And don't lie to me, I've seen you, you're large enough to hold an angry comic writer inside like that fat lady from Total Recall.

You get a +1 for that.

I think my run on X-Men would be somewhat similar, except I know the characters enough to have them talk and act like themselves. There would also be more gratuitous rape and swastika laden genitalia. Marvel would be forced to either A.) Fire me quickly and have the next issue open with Cyclops waking up from a terrible dream or B.) say that the entire book takes place in Universe 8675309.

• 2 months later...

Archived