Hondo's Bar

Wonder Woman TV show

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the creators fixed the boots (now red, and flats), they fixed the pants (now look like the same sort of material they make football pants out of and are dark blue), toned things down (busier is darker, is no longer wearing streetwalker make-up) so the costume is as perfect as a tv-budget superhero costume can get. Of course they can't really fix the actress, it's not that she's not pretty enough, old enough, or that she can't act (I assume.) The problem is that she just doesn't look tough enough, in the new pictures she's scowling but it's about as intimidating as when a 5-year-old girl scowls, she's just too sweet looking (worse than Jennifer Garner as Elektra) and that's problematic. Course, from what I've read this thing's going to blow Smallville out of the water in terms of sheer horrible writing and it probably won't be on for a year, so I guess it's pretty pointless even arguing it.

she's just too sweet looking (worse than Jennifer Garner as Elektra) and that's problematic.

I never thought the problem with Jennifer Garner as Elektra was that she looked sweet. Jennifer Garner actually has a very commanding jawline that still manages to look very feminine.

jennifer_garner.jpg

As for this actress' face in the still, she's in the middle of a run. Still shots can make people look pretty goofy when they're exerting themselves. I question WB for releasing this particular still (if they were the ones that did). I think her look is ok. It's not ideal for WW in opinion, but it could work. Her hair should have more volume, though. And the top of the wings of that golden eagle on her chest should form the top of her chest plate, rather than have more red above it. It's not good visually. I know a lot of the comics have had her drawn this way, but it doesn't look good here.

Are we working under the impression that video was the actress? I just assumed it was a stunt double. I rewatched it, and I honestly can't be sure one way or another.

The problem I had with Garner as Elektra is that she's a regular white lady, not an ethnic looking Greek lady, and she does look too sweet. But I still haven't seen either of those movies, so I can't say much past that.

I didn't mention it before, but I also didn't like that the first costume photo had high heels. The boots with the super short heel in the video is much better. I really hope they don't have short heels for running takes, but high heels for other times.

Wow. A much more detailed analysis of WW boots than any of us were hoping for. But it's good to know what you spend your time thinking about while making those smoothies. :2T:

Are we working under the impression that video was the actress? I just assumed it was a stunt double. I rewatched it, and I honestly can't be sure one way or another.

The problem I had with Garner as Elektra is that she's a regular white lady, not an ethnic looking Greek lady, and she does look too sweet. But I still haven't seen either of those movies, so I can't say much past that.

+1 on her not looking Greeky enough. She proved through the first 2 seasons of ALIAS that she could usurp the "sweetness" vibe w/ sufficient asskickery though. ELEKTRA's main problem wasn't Garner--it was the horrible, horrible script.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Wow. A much more detailed analysis of WW boots than any of us were hoping for. But it's good to know what you spend your time thinking about while making those smoothies. :2T:

It's not that detailed an analysis. For a suit you plan to run and fight crime in, high heel = bad. That's just practical common sense. High heels are so impractical for these activities, it's glaringly distracting to see them.

It's not that detailed an analysis. For a suit you plan to run and fight crime in, high heel = bad. That's just practical common sense. High heels are so impractical for these activities, it's glaringly distracting to see them.

Not Always

knight-sabers-knight-sabers-bubblegum-bubble-gum-crisis-cras-demotivational-poster-1248752888.jpg

The bitch is bullet proof and comes from an intensely empowering feminist society.

Honestly, if we're talking logical practicality, she should really just be nude all the time. And she should shave her head.

... and cut off her right tit...

...if you want to get historical...

See, the original mythological Amazons (that nation of warrior women that fought Hercules, had that big jungle named after them, and were the inspiration for the comic heroine) were described as having cut off their right breasts so they could fire their bows without hindrance.

• 1 month later...

NBC has decided they're "not going forward" with the Wonder Woman series. That's all the major networks, folks. Since someone dumped money into the pilot, they'll prob'ly take it around to USA/TBS/SyFY and whatever other basic cable channels with a history of taking chances on crap.

• 1 year later...

So after Chris mentioned in another thread that the pilot for this had leaked, I scooped it up to satisfy my curiosity. I definitely didn't think it was worse that some other DC-to-TV adaptations, it was certainly better than Birds of Prey. I liked some of the story choices they made, like making Diana a corporate titan, heading a company that makes the bulk of its money from WW merch, and that she also had a third persona, a mild manner alter-ego Diana Prince for relaxing, which I'm sure would have played a larger role in future episodes. I thought her overall personality was good, and the actress was good. It was not top-tier television, but it was not terrible. That said, a lot of the dialogue was cringe-worthy, it definitely could have benefited from a polishing.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Huh, so she was cashing in on the WW persona in the series? That makes sense for a David. E. Kelly show since I believe his previous shows all involved some kind of office dynamic, but isn't he supposed to be great at dialogue? I'll have to add it to the torrent queue for a rainy day as my curiosity on this has been rekindled.

Huh, so she was cashing in on the WW persona in the series? That makes sense for a David. E. Kelly show since I believe his previous shows all involved some kind of office dynamic, but isn't he supposed to be great at dialogue? I'll have to add it to the torrent queue for a rainy day as my curiosity on this has been rekindled.

Yeah, in the show, Diana Themyscira is the head of Themyscira Industries, which does a lot of things, evidently, but its largest revenue stream comes from WW merch.

2011WonderWomanPilotThemysciraIndustries.jpg

Here she is in a meeting discussing the new line of WW action figures.

Wonder_Woman_Pilot_4-580x325.jpg

NDVD_000.BMP

It is public knowledge that she is Wonder Woman, and she does her WW thing. Here she is arriving at Themyscira Industries, meeting her personal assistant and the CEO (who answers to her, to be clear) of Themyscira Industries, coming back from doing her WW thing.

Wonder_Woman_Pilot_7.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1306886978209

There is a lot of political support and opposition to her vigilante hijinks. In the episode, she has a tense dinner with the head of the US Senate Judiciary Committee, because she's on a vendetta to take down a political supporter of his.

2011WonderWomanPilotSenatorWarren.jpg

Again, I think the concept was great, if they had taken the core concepts of the show and given it Boston Legal caliber dialogue, and maybe tweak a few things, it really could have been awesome.

Edited by Reverend Jax