Hondo's Bar

X-men Schism & Regensis

The NZA

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By Tim Stevens

The following is an excerpted transcript of a conflict resolution session between Wolverine (Logan) and Cyclops (Scott Summers). Tim Stevens is on hand as a mediator to facilitate the session.

WOLVERINE (gruffly, half mumbling): What’s the point of this? CYCLOPS: Look, I can’t seem to get you to talk to me about…whatever it is that is going on with you. And we’ve both worked with Tim, so I figured…why not?

TIM STEVENS: I appreciate that you both would come to me. As I understand things, there has been some hostility in the air between you both and Scott seems to think that you, Jam—Wolverine, are having some issue with him, or issues, that you will not discuss.

W: Because the X-Men are all about discussing feelings and working things out these days, huh Slim?

C: Well, it’s never been your forte certainly, but—

TS: Ok, let’s just slow down for a moment here. Wolverine you just said something that seemed interesting to me: as Scott pointed out, you are not typically one for emotional exploration, but your complaint about it not being part of the X-Men right now seemed…honest. Can I ask you to talk more about that?

W: …Oh, you know me, doc…just a little sarcasm.

TS: No, no I know. But I don’t think that’s what just happened there. I thought you were authentic there.

(A long pause fills the room. Everyone just stares forward without eye contact with one another)

TS: Fine, we’ll get back to that. Tell me, Scott, why you think Wolverine is upset or disappointed with you? What signs do you have?

C: I don’t know. Just comments, I guess. He’s not, obviously, a big follower of orders and we’ve not exactly had the best relationship forever, but the tone is different. Usually it’s defiant or…I don’t know, affectionately sarcastic. But that’s not the case now. TS (turning to Wolverine): Do you feel that’s accurate?

W: Affectionately sarcastic? I can’t say anyone’s called me that before.

TS: Ok, fine, but is the sentiment accurate?

W: If he feels that way, I guess it is.

TS: It’s not just about him though. It matters how you feel, too. The equal sharing is what makes a team stronger.

C: Right, because Logan is a big fan of openness and team building exercises.

W (turning to Cyclops, annoyed): You know what, you are right, I’m not. I like to stab stuff. That’s my bag. That’s what I’m here for. But the rest…

C (jumping into the pause): Who are the rest?

W (deflates a bit): Never mind…

TS: No, no, let’s not. Please, Wolverine, continue. And Scott, let him finish. So, please, “the rest?”

W: Fine…sure. I was…just the students. Why have combat training for kids, you know?

C: What? Are you kidding me? W: No…I get why we fight. We’re adults. I’ve been fighting forever. That’s what I’m here for. But these kids…they’re kids. Why do they need to be in the field? We own a friggin’ island, for god’s sake.

C: Have you missed all of our history? The fights we’ve been in?

W: Yes, we! Us! There’s a 14-year old girl on Utopia who’s convinced she’s a monster. Convinced! You think the Professor would be happy about that?

C: So now you want me to be more like Professor X? Because you always agreed with him?

W: It’s not about being more like him. It’s about…these are kids. The reason I’m around is so they don’t have to do what I do. 14-year olds being trained in combat? Why?

C: Because we need to fight!

W: We do! They don’t!

TS: Alright. Let’s just take a moment here and gather. Good work, both of you, but let’s deflate things for just a second, okay. Good. Now, Scott, Wolverine has said what’s bothering him. What do you think about it?

C: I think…we are at war, all the time. We need to be trained.

W: That’s just it…soldiers need to be trained. But some of these guys…they aren’t soldiers. They are refugees. They are on Utopia so they can live, not so they can fight the Hellfire Club or Sentinels or…whoever.

C: To live they need to fight. W: That’s what the X-Men are for. Doesn’t our team mean that other mutants, especially kids, can catch a break from all of that?

C: I was 16 when I joined the X-Men.

W: Which is two years older than Idie. And you joined a school, first and foremost. You also had classes. With books. Things were very different then.

C: Exactly. They were very different. We could be a school back then. Now…we are an army. We will be ready when they attack us.

W: They? Huh…never picked you for a separatist, Slim.

C: I’m a realist. The school…that idea is done. Every mutant on Utopia is an X-Man.

The room lapses into silence once again.

TS: This seems like a good place to decompress. I just would like to close on a mindfulness exercise to return us all to baseline so if you—

Wolverine stands without comment and leaves the room. Cyclops follows shortly thereafter.

For further information on this conflict, please refer to file X-MEN: SCHISM #4, available on September 21.

Psy D Candidate Tim Stevens, MA is a Practicum Trainee at a Federal Correctional Institute and a Dialectical Behavior Therapy Consultant.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/16533/psych_ward_cyclops_wolverine#ixzz1W4rHsEna

So that's it in a nutshell, huh?

Wolverine is actually putting forward one if the main issues/inconsistencies I've had with the X-Men/Xavier, I've even talked about it elsewhere (possibly here? I'm not gonna search for it).

So if we're picking sides here a'la Civil War, I'm Team Wolverine. And not just because he's cooler. If the roles were reversed, I would be with Cyclops.

Scott is sounding more and more like Magneto every day.

i think it's why the arc is interesting, both sides kind've have a point. i get :wolvy: and would likely side with him on this too, but cyk isnt talking shit by saying their tremendously diminished #'s, if Messiah War went differently and people hadnt sacrificed themselves the way they did, they all could've easily been wiped out in one fell swoop.

Magneto was right, in this particular situation, i think. Even i assumed Scott still had the kids taking classes and not just training, that's kindve a surprise (like Sun Tzu's quote "A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools", natch), but Scott's mentality only kinda falls apart in between these big events - while the X-men were fighting vamps or whatever recently, for example, the kids don't need to be in it.

but if you think about it? there's almost always been 2 full squads (Uncanny, and vanilla) and 1 kid team at any given time - X-Force at one point, Generation X, New Mutants etc.

Just because it's always been doesn't make it right. Kitty Pryde was out risking her life at what, 13? 14?

I'm all for training them to use their powers and giving them an option to enroll in one of the combat teams once they're mature enough to make that decision, but just like having a certain genetic sequence shouldn't mean you're hunted and murdered, it also shouldn't mean you're automatically enrolled in a paramilitary organization and used as a living weapon for the benefit of the gang that's protecting you.

i'm inclined to agree (especially now that the ranks aren't as thin as they were early on), but at the height of the academy - i wanna say Grant's New X-Men run? - i assumed that's how it was, you had to train to at least control your powers, but you didn't have to join a combat unit unless you were inclined.

it only looked particularly awful to me when the kid teams - usually doing school & such, but often sent on little missions with formidable teachers etc - always ended up in horrific situations, even if shit worked out. did you read Mutant Massacre in the day, the Cleremont run where the Morlocks got all but wiped out (Angel loses his wings, first big wolvy/creedfight)? there's an issue in that run where the fucking Power Pack is left in the sewers somehow to survive against Sabretooth. thankfully it's 80s marvel so it's a joke of an issue, but talk about a case where child services needs a phone call...

Haha, I remember that. "Oh, it's okay to leave this 6 year old to fight this mass murderer, she can turn her legs into a rainbow!"

One of the things that Ultimate X-Men did to earn my respect early on was address this a bit with the Iceman lawsuit thing. It played out kinda lame, but it was a cool idea.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who despises that particular atrocity. I'm gonna break this lineup down a bit, maybe it will help me understand Scott's reasoning here. From left to right:

1. The 616 equivalent to Osama Bin Laden. A terrorist and a tyrant who's been fighting you and off and on since you were a teenager.

2. The sentient Danger Room who's sole mission in life for years was to come up with an elaborate way to kill you and your friends, and who caused a young mutant to commit suicide.

3. A terrorist and a power obsessed criminal who tried to kill you and your friends on multiple occasions, but is now "better" and TOTALLY isn't manipulating your mind, despite that it's something she would TOTALLY do.

4. A nice guy you've known for years, who is now possessed by an evil demon who's previous incarnation has been trying to kill you since you were a teenager.

5. A soulless girl who's proven time and time again that she's scarcely one step removed from being a demon from hell, who only pretends to actually have any morals whatsoever.

I say it's only a matter of time before someone points out that Cyke took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and this just becomes the new Brotherhood.

I don't even get the point of Collossernaut. He's already super-strong and nigh indestructible so he's just slightly more-so now? It's like in the Ultimate Universe where Juggernaut was a mutant and then they introduced the Cyttorak crystal just so gambit could toss it into Juggernaut's body and make him slightly stronger than he already was? Plus, does Cain Marko really need another reason to be pissed off at the world? I get that he was a dick to his psychic little brother but I think the punishment has more than paid for the crime.

Bobby is definitely confirmed, he's on the cover. I haven't heard anything about Hank, but I can't imagine a circumstance where you're wrong (unless he just says "Fuck you guys, Imma go be a Defender" or something). Some terrible writer would have to really not know him to shoehorn him into Scott's team.

But maybe they'll get DARK HANK!

I'm so out of the loop I found a corner here, but is everyone just forgetting Whedon's reveal that Lockheed is not infact a lost pokemon but a highly intelligent alien in deep cover? Did Ellis fuck up that whole Destroyer/Breakworld thing?

The AoA spoiler is the final kick in the arse I need to get on stabforce at long last. The Kyle/Yost stuff to start with then onto Uncanny.

Archived