Hondo's Bar

Kill Bill

The NZA

From here

Tarantino a la japonaise: Raw and bloody

Naomi Tajitsu / Daily Yomiuri Staff Writer

Privileged audiences in Japan, you're in for a treat. Quentin Tarantino knows that we can take what he dishes out better than American or European audiences, so he's come up with an exclusive version of Kill Bill that is more vibrant and visceral than what the rest of the world is seeing.

The Japan version, which will also be screened in other Asian countries, is only a minute or two longer than the American one, but according to producer Lawrence Bender, it packs a bigger punch. There are a few extra shots in different scenes, the anime sequence of O-Ren Ishii's (Lucy Liu) childhood is longer, and the entire House of Leaves scene, where the Bride (Uma Thurman) slices and dices the Crazy 88, remains in color throughout (as opposed to cutting to black and white and then back to color in the American version). In addition, the dedication in the opening credits to the late Kinji Fukasaku, the king of ultraviolence and one of Tarantino's great influences, is not included on the American version.

Of course, images of dismembered corpses falling en masse into a bloody pool have more impact in color than in black and white, but while Bender admits the Japan version is more violent than the American one, he maintains that all the changes were made in the name of style and aesthetics.

"Quentin just felt that stylistically, (it's what) the Japanese would want," explains the producer, who has been working with Tarantino since Reservoir Dogs. "It's just a vibrant, more aggressive feeling. It's a stronger feeling. With black and white, it gives it a different style.

"By being in color, it hits you harder than in black and white," he continues. "The blood is red, as opposed to being black, you know, so it just hits you a little bit stronger in color. You see more detail in color."

According to Bender, Tarantino had wanted to make a Japan version of Kill Bill from the beginning, out of respect to both the culture that inspired a considerable amount of the film's content and the land where much of the film's first installment takes place. Also, the version is a salute to the Japanese who worked on the film's crew and cast, including Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba, who plays Okinawan swordmaker Hattori Hanzo.

The producer also explains that subtle differences between the violence in the two versions has a little to do with the common perception that Japanese audiences have a high tolerance for representations of violence.

"People in Japan have grown up watching yakuza movies and watching more violent movies," he says. "They're not used to those kinds of movies in the United States."

And then finally, the truth comes out.

"Americans just can't take as much as the Japanese," Bender admits

• 1 year later...
Of films already released, at least in two halves, we quizzed Tarantino on his Cannes opus. "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is definitely getting a wide release," he told us, "actually, that'll probably be the first movie that Miramax, under their new company, will be releasing theatrically. It's the Japanese version, that's why I call it that, you know, it should probably come out in the next few months. It's going to be NC-17 in America. We couldn't do that when Disney owned the place but now Disney's the fuck outta there we can do anything we want! It's gonna be off the hook!"

• 8 months later...

B00068ULLY.01-A2LWKZGGMBGN21._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So, ive really been wanting to watch part 2 again sometime, but so far, ive only seen the above box set. Is there still gonna be a release of the whole thing on 1 disc (presumably, with extras), or should i just go & get this? Pulp Ficion already fooled me once, hopin to see if this was gettin a better relase.

• 1 month later...

bill20vd.jpg

As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is... I collect your fucking head. Just like this fucker here. Now, if any of you sons of bitches got anything else to say, now's the fucking time!

Joe Utichi reports via FilmFocus.co.uk that Quentin Tarantino plans a wide U.S. theatrical release for Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair in the next few months. This is both halves of the Kill Bill saga, Vol. 1 (2003) and Vol. 2 (2004), stitched together into a single, glorious bloodbath, as Tarantino intended originally.

kill-bill.gif

Says Tarantino in the Utichi interview:

"Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is definitely getting a wide release; actually, that'll probably be the first movie that Miramax, under their new company, will be releasing theatrically, it's the Japanese version, that's why I call it that, you know, it should probably come out in the next few months. It's going to be NC-17 in America. We couldn't do that when Disney owned the place but now Disney's the fuck outta there we can do anything we want! It's gonna be off the hook!"

I heard a few months ago that the "complete" Kill Bill, with extras, might be released on DVD as early as this coming August. A new theatrical release and a new DVD amount to very exciting news for those of us who rank Kill Bill among the greatest action films of all time.

As far as the DVD Box set goes I own both Vol's 1 and 2 in the Best Buy Exclusive Casewrap Box. I would like the LOTR Special edition Box set that came out, very much like to see this shape up soon. Like SIN CITY, this is one movie that I absolutely adore theaterically speaking, it's not only vintage Tarantino, it's movie making bliss.

As with any Uncut, Director's Collection DVD Set I would expect this to not only have the added footage but extras, both versions of the film and all the tech/special goodies that they could possibly offer in this Bad Larry... I hope it comes soon. ^_^

Some projected Cover art is below:

VOL. 1

993060killbillvol1wagonposters.jpg

VOL. 2

993058killbillvol2chapelposter.jpg

Both Versions One Disc

857117killbillvol2umablackpost.jpg

Best Buy Exclusive Casewrap

b00068ully01a2lwkzggmbgn21sclz.jpg

Japanese Box Set Casewrap

32283tq.jpg

Edited by MusicManiac

I really hope that's fan-made cover art because...yuck. Something as epic and iconic as Kill Bill shouldn't get the crappy actor-photo-collage cover art treatment (neither should the Star Wars movies, that I'll gnaw on that bone somewhere else). It should get something striking and graphic and iconic - something like that first image you posted, or like the packaging of the Sin City special edition. But that's just me.

I despise the Star Wars dvd art. I literally can't stand to look at them. I don't know how they could choose those boring photo collages when each movie had such a great, painted poster to go with it. Whoever ran that department of Fox's marketing should be kicked in the nuts.

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

Edited by Iambaytor

As for the Star Wars cover art: The guy named his second movie 'Attack of the Clones'? You don't think he was going for at least a little level of 50's space serial camp? The cover art matches the atrocious dialogue like a tux on a penguin. I think people just don't get Star Wars, particularly the prequels. It's not The Godfather or fucking Apocalypse Now, it's Star Wars and it's really easy to tear apart if you need something more than just a fun flick. That's kinda the point. Star Wars came out at a time when all movies were trying to be ironic, and being so simple adn straight forward made it ironic in the late seventies.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

• 1 year later...

So I read this on Wikipedia:

Special NC-17 rated edition with both films edited into one

A special NC-17 rated edition of Kill Bill which will include Volume 1 and Volume 2 edited as one film ("Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair") will be released on 4 DVDs on December 25, 2007. The film will run fully at 247 minutes (4 hours and 7 minutes).[13]

Which used this Amazon.com page as a source.

The amazon page doesn't have much more information than the wikipedia snippet, but the most important part, the release date, is not on that page. December 25th is a Tuesday, the day almost all CDs, DVDs and video games go on sale. Either way, I'm stoked.

This should be very interesting. I'd definitely love to check it out just to see what extras they have added to the movie.

Oh also I read somewhere (on imdb.com I think) that Tarentino originally had plans to do a sequel movie which the main plot was the now-grown-up daughter of Vernita Green was searching Beatrix out to get revenge for killing her mother, but that somehow those plans never fully materialized or were dropped. Anyone have anymore info on this?

Oh also I read somewhere (on imdb.com I think) that Tarentino originally had plans to do a sequel movie which the main plot was the now-grown-up daughter of Vernita Green was searching Beatrix out to get revenge for killing her mother, but that somehow those plans never fully materialized or were dropped. Anyone have anymore info on this?

What he said about it was that if he made the sequel he wouldn't make it for another decade or so, so that Uma Thurman would be the right age. Anytime I've heard him mention it, he's always said it like "wouldn't this be a cool idea for a sequel?" rather than any actual concrete plans to make one. I'd say the odds of it happening are about as slim as the odds of ever seeing The Vega Brothers onscreen.

It would have involved Sofie Fatale inheriting Bill's empire and training Vernita Green's daughter. It would also have Kido's daughter playign a role. He said he was thinking of shooting a few scenes to get the actors at a young age, but it's unconfirmed if he ever shot any footage with any of those actresses. He was also interested in anime prequels. Tarantino says alot of things though.

It would have involved Sofie Fatale inheriting Bill's empire and training Vernita Green's daughter.

That would be quite difficult, given she has no arms... (Unless she got like some really cool prosthetics or something).

It would also have Kido's daughter playign a role. He said he was thinking of shooting a few scenes to get the actors at a young age, but it's unconfirmed if he ever shot any footage with any of those actresses. He was also interested in anime prequels. Tarantino says alot of things though.

The anime concept would be interesting. Kinda like what the Wachowskis did with Enter The Matrix.

Edited by Acalis

• 3 years later...

Almost a decade later and Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is finally hitting a screen here in the US of A.

The film is the combined International versions of the films (which are slightly different versions than the cuts released in the US in theaters and on DVD) as well as an additional seven minutes of anime expounding on the origin of O-ren Ishii.

Hopefully this means a deluxe blu-ray version is in the very near future as well.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Tarantino on Kill Bill Vol 3: "There definitely is a possibility."

via Entertainment Weekly

Speaking on What the Flick!?, Tarantino discussed the chance of Kill Bill Vol. 3 becoming a reality.

“There definitely is a possibility. Stop short of seeing a probability,” Tarantino said to Ben Mankiewicz in the interview, viewable below at about the 57-minute mark.

“I put the character of Beatrix Kiddo through a lot, and so I wanted her to have this much time for peace,” Tarantino said, explaining that he wanted to give the character some downtime to spend with her daughter.

“The whole idea [behind waiting so long between films] was everybody would be as old as they are,”