Hondo's Bar

Rob Liefeld

The NZA

• 2 weeks later...

230px-Robliefeldpic.jpg

Rob Liefield walks off three DC titles to "preserve sanity"

Rob Liefeld, who teased last month on the heels of Grant Morrison that he too would be leaving DC Comics soon, announced his abrupt departure this morning with a flurry of tweets criticizing his editors and the handling of the New 52. Although he’s listed in the solicitations for Deathstroke, Grifter and The Savage Hawkman through November, the writer/artist states that next month’s zero issues will be his last.

“Officially got off the DC52 treadmill this morning,” he wrote, adding, “I believe in what DC is doing, but had to preserve my sanity. I walked off all 3 books. Can’t wait to see any attempts to spin. I have every email.”

Liefeld was among the original creators when DC launched the New 52 a year ago, penciling and later also writing Hawk & Dove before moving in May to Deathstroke (writing and penciling), The Savage Hawkman and Grifter (plotting both).

“This is the 4th time I quit in the last 4 months. This time it will stick,” he wrote from a theater, where he was watching The Expendables 2. “Never thought the Image section of my book would be topped. This last year was a humdinger. The DC52 chapters will go top all of it. [...] Reasons are the same as everyone’s that you hear. I lasted a few months longer than I thought possible. Massive indecision, last minute and I mean LAST minute changes that alter everything. Editor pissing contests… No thxnjs. Last week my editor said ‘early on we had a lot of indie talent that weren’t used to re-writes and changes … made it hard.’ Uh, no, it’s you.”

Liefeld is only the latest creator to exit DC’s New 52 titles amid complaints of a relaunch plagued behind the scenes by disorganization and indecision. Notably, George Perez expressed his frustration over the repeated rewrites and lack of creative freedom that he contends led to his run on Superman being cut short.

“Don’t look for any tell all interview with me,” Liefeld added. “Just follow this feed. … the best stuff has not been shared — not even close!”

oh boy

Someone told me that loser fat ass Brevoort was talking trash about me today. I dropped him awhile back . I gotta coach football games..out

Sorry they passed you over for EIC Tommy B. Get over it and get back to mixing and matching Avengers and X-Men #doucher

then it was Snyder's turn, apparently

From Scott Snyder - I can assure you batman doesn't sell the way it does because it's Batman. It sells that way because of me and Greg.

Get over yourself you pretentious prick @Ssnyder1835

Been berated in DM's by @Ssnyder1835 this morning. Excuse me if I don't marvel at your amazing abilities to write Batman. Piss off.

Y0TyE.jpg9iRP4.jpg

Every time I see this photo of Liefeld

I just know that the uncropped image would look something like this.

If you can make him shitting on a famous comic-book character I think you just might have your best-selling t-shirt ever.

Edited by The NZA
really ryan

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted by Rob Liefield:

"I am NOT retired from comics. Taking some time off and will be back at it soon. Thanks!

No I am not permanently retired from comics. I’m too young! Momentarily, yes. Geez, let a guy enjoy some R and R

My mistake is that I don’t give facebook comments the same weight as I do twitter rants. Lesson learned."

P.S

Will he be back? Is the industry so cynical that his sins will be forgiven?

I actually don't know that I've read a comic with his artwork but what I read here disturbs me.

Plagiarism is a massive issue with me ever since high school when my friends would get higher marks in English than me by recycling U2 and Metallica lyrics in their creative writing essays. :mad:

Master of perspective, I'm pulling your strings

Twisting your musculature and smashing your face

Blinded by a small hill, you can't see the feet

Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream

Liefeld

Liefeld

No formal training you say...

Edited by Thrizzle

• 2 months later...

He'd doing screenplays now.

And he's doing them with Liefeldian efficiency, managing to complete it from beginning to final draft in 72 hours. It's about the heroic rise of Image comics and a young upstart prophet by the name of McFarlane. Who says "bud" a lot.

Here are some excerpts.

52S71TB.jpg

FfPYTU5.jpg

c50NGGp.jpg

ezX1UA9.jpg

4FRB0DR.jpg

13z4Ixv.jpg

uWmDGod.jpg

IwcK4wp.jpg

eaW4ltY.jpg

6T6yFKV.jpg

O30o6TG.jpg

GQJyJ16.jpg

mYE7m0j.jpg

That Eazy-E story made me really uncomfortable. I need a douche chills smiley or something.

OH! And casting!

o3GXuie.jpg

A5pV0.gif

This is pretty awesome. I remember once, Ice Cube came into blockbuster and was like "You sell good movies nigga" and then pulled out his glock and laid it on the counter. Then a wad of hundred dollar bills. It was surreal, very gangster and I think I came a little. "I want to sell movies with you brotha, thats natural. Movies and music, wanna smoke some herb?"

"I don't know if that is such a good idea, bud." Todd lived in the back room.

V.O.- He had fallen on hard times and we couldn't let the man stay on the streets alone.

who's gonna help me finish this?

• Upvote 1

Like you had to ask

MCFARLANE

Fuck shit bud, let's put on our trenchcoats and smoke that bud, bud

ICED CUBE

I like how you draw brothas with big fat lips and white bitches with big asses. I want you inside me nigga. (he pulls out a machete and throws a gang sign)

V.O.

I knew at that moment that my life would never be the same

They put on trenchcoats and sunglasses and walk out of the door in slow motion

TOM DEFALCO

There goes the most talented man that's ever lived. If only he would have taken us up on our offer of all the things.

• Upvote 1