Hondo's Bar

Jurassic Park

The NZA

i think the problem you run into is that while there's a lot less risk of (further?) spoiling a franchise they likely see as capable of a big comeback one day down the road, putting ILM and a lotta money into something of a different name might not get people to show up at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

rknh05P.jpg?1

This was simply fantastic. I took my nephew, and this was his first time seeing the film. I was a little worried the T-Rex scene would scare him, but he wasn't phased. The velociraptor scenes at the end shook him up though. If you can see it in IMAX 3D I highly recommend it.

JP over here too. Goddamn if it isn't one of the best movies ever made. It's very strange seeing something from the 90s and something by Spielberg in 3d. It's shot in such a specific way, It looks a little weird at first but you get used to it and it looks great. The 3d doesn't detract at all, as it's mostly the "into the screen" type that seems to be more prevalent now.If there was ever a movie made to be seen on the big screen it's this one. It sounded awesome it looks incredible, and Laura Dern fucking rules.. I knew the special effects hold up, but I still can't think of anything Hollywood has produced. that looks better than the T Rex in this film., The combination of CGI, animatronics, stop motion, and GUY IN FUCKING RAPTOR SUIT is just shit that people don't do anymore, and it boggles my mind that we haven't done any better in 20 years. I would love to catch this again before it's out of theaters. Also, it really made me wanted to play my Genesis, SNES, and Sega cd Jurassic Park games.

Goddamn if it isn't one of the best movies ever made.

Before seeing it again on the big screen I might have labeled that statement as hyperbolic, but you're damn right. They gave Spielberg the Best Director Oscar for Schindler's List that year, but really, come on. We all know Jurassic Park was the best movie that year, and it wasn't even nominated outside of the technical categories. Surprisingly not even a best adapted screenplay nod went it's way.

Before seeing it again on the big screen I might have labeled that statement as hyperbolic, but you're damn right. They gave Spielberg the Best Director Oscar for Schindler's List that year, but really, come on. We all know Jurassic Park was the best movie that year, and it wasn't even nominated outside of the technical categories. Surprisingly not even a best adapted screenplay nod went it's way.

I get why they didn't nominate JP for best pic or director or any acting categories. I don't agree with it, but I get it. They have a bias against popcorn flicks and blockbusters (a bias didn't exist for a long time, I think). I mean, I get that a movie that is fun and is one of the top grossing films of the year shouldn't automatically get recognition (like say, a Transformers movie), but I think that even if a popcorn flick is really good, the fact that it was mainstream and popular works against it. But what really makes no sense is that JP didn't get a nomination for Best Score, Schindler's List did and it won. JP's score is among them most memorable and recognizable film scores ever. That doesn't even makes sense within the Academy's biases.

Fun Trivia Fact: 1993 is the only year where a director won the Best Picture Oscar and had the highest grossing film that year, and they weren't for the same movie.

I moved the discussion in here from the other thread.

I may just be high off viewing it in IMAX 3D, but I'd say this is probably in my top 10 films of all time now whereas before it'd be more top 20 maybe. I saw the Indiana Jones IMAX release last year and it was really fun, but seeing JP in the theater again was really like rediscovering the film. Youmentioned the score, Jax. And that probably should've gotten a nod for John WIlliams, but he's already got a room full of awards, so that's almost forgivable. And of course you don't expect Oscar nods for performances in blockbuster action films (Ledger's Joker proving you literally have to die to be recognized by the Oscars for a performance in those films), but I forgot how really good the performances were in JP. Even the kids were great. I wonder why they never took off career wise?

Yeah, I have to take that back about the kid who played Tim. He's apparently had steady work. I didn't even realize that was him in The Pacific. He was really good in that. Yeah, he had a few good episodes this season on Justified. And he was also Mouse in the new GI Joe film. Damn. I knew he looked familiar.

The girl though apparently hasn't done much since Tremors 3 back in 2001.

• 5 months later...