Hondo's Bar

PS4 & Nextbox rumors (Pre E3 reveal)

The NZA

Gamestop's stock took a hit after that went public (I'm actually thinking of buying some, in the hopes that they recover). And you're right, these rumors become more likely the closer we get to an actual announcement.

I don't know how they're gonna salvage a business model from that, unless their big kicker is that they'll offer the digital versions of new games for $20 or a subscription model or something.

I don't have the details either, obviously, but if it's straight up "full price (or close to it) games, no used games", I'm jumping ship. And I'll have a lot of company.

loggins - i know i pounce on you/others for XBL gold, but truth is: mainstream consumers saw the practice of paying for P2P connectoins free literally everywhere else, as well as accessing netflix/etc the same way, and largely rewarded it with millions of dollars.

always online did nothing to diablo 3's sales. i think it's complete shit to not be able to access/play my single player favorites offline, but i highly value BC and such so it's obvious i'm not representative of a vast majority - let's say they sell online pass like activations, bishop was saying he'd wager a minimum of $20/each from places like gamestop that cut deals with MS. sure, people will fuss, but MS knows they a) will have the lions share of most 3rd party games on their system, b) are (currently) treated as the default system in the west, and c) have many many people locked into their ecosystem, which likely stands to improve with whatever additions they announce for XBL soon enough. you can't imagine a window where many of us bitch, then 5 years later they sell tens of millions of systems and something formerly considered a dealbreaker is now accepted as standard? i don't want to see this happen either man, but we live in a world of DLC horse armor. I can't honestly say i have my finger on the pulse any more.

Wasn't this also a rumor for the PS4?

Kinda, supposedly PS4 was going to drop disc based media entirely and go all digital, which would have the same effect, basically. They backtracked after realizing the inconsistency in reliable internet around the world.

Regardless, I'm sure they have just as much ire for the used game industry as MS.

Y'know what...looking at my Steam library, I guess I'm not nearly as against this idea as I thought I was.

Is there a difference?

pretty big ones in my mind, yeah

1) MS maintains a great deal more control over pricing on XBL than valve does, hence why you rarely see holiday sale discounts of anything close to that magnitude (how often do you just see 25-50% off old arcade games or DLC, for example?)

2) my PC running = pretty much forever BC/not married to the hardware, and i can also strip out DRM as i please

3) steam offers me offline mode....if MS' network (or my internet) are down, i'm left unable to even play single player/offline stuff

axels' sodey pop pricing is a big part of why i think a lot've us are way more comfortable ditching our rights to trade/resell etc, the way i see it a closed box/garden taking these measures brings all the negatives of digital distribution without the bigger positives

A bit off topic... The ouya getting annual updates to its console.... Dude if this tiny device can truly compete it'll change the standard of console development forever. No more 8 year stints on a single generation of games! I reeeeeally hope this potential can be realized.. You know... While avoiding segas mistakes.

Edited by IceManML

i mean...that's one decisive way to make sure it's not seen as just a peripheral

i'm much more interested in the details of the used game thing, though...one theory is that big vendors like gamestop (maybe gamefly?) etc become licensed resellers of activation keys. if so, the value of used games kinda plummets, especially if the standard is anything > $10

Yeah I'm glad they are keeping the main shape of it. Both 360 and PS controllers are pretty perfect in their own regard, it's just a matter of do you like convex or concave analog sticks? Or the d-pad high or low?

Edited by axel_napalm

9t7BIBi.gif

This is hilarious. If the controller acutally did that I would totally jump the fence into the anti-used game camp!

I've been really anticipating the Feb 20th reveal, but this controller makes me worry....

I still don't see the point ot a touch screen without a screen underneath it, especially one so small. It's like a touch pad on a laptop.

on the eve of the big reveal, Kotaku says:

PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

6VeeyiK.jpg

aJOxfK7.jpg

A reliable Kotaku source has informed us that the PlayStation 4, codenamed Orbis, will be out this November in the United States.

Our source—the same reliable source who back in early 2012 told us the codename for Sony's next console and the codename for Microsoft's next console—tells us that there are two models planned for the new machine, and that pricing won't be announced until later this year, possibly around E3. The current plan, our source says, is to release them at $429 and $529, but that could change.

New information revealed by our source suggests that on top of all that, you'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine, our source says.

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.

ps here's lookin at you newt

iIxzk8NrwpWc5.gif

• 1 month later...

Durango/720 requires games to be installed.

Unless I missed something, this doesn't necessarily mean no used games. We already install games to our hard drives and can play them using any kind of disc of the same game.

There's this:

The documentation goes on to state Durango games will be distributed on Blu-ray discs, but the discs are purely used as a means to install data, and will not be read during gameplay. Also of note: the Durango will feature "Always On, Always Connected" online connectivity. Whether Microsoft will use the always-on functionality as a means of DRM is unclear; the documentation only mentions background updates, similar to those announced for the PlayStation 4.

But it isn't real explicit on "you can only use that one disc" or "you need a serial number". Still doesn't look good though. Especially that always online bit.

Edited by axel_napalm