Hondo's Bar

PS4 & Nextbox rumors (Pre E3 reveal)

The NZA

i honestly hope more consumers react like you do to such measures. kinda worried that they won't and this'll just become standard practice.

i wouldn't assume they're repeating the problem with the ps3 (as far as having better specs but bottlenecking with a poorly-matched GPU and not enough RAM) until we see the details, but yeah, i feel safe assuming the gap between that and the nextbox won't be so wide as to put a huge burden on publishers for multi-platform development. then again, sony's hardware guys don't seem to listen to software devs nearly as much as MS does, so it's always possible. I do see your point on them basing the specs around pushing 3D and the compromises that brings, but again, i kinda expect that of all 3 - nintendo's gonna lose power to the tablet controller's display, rumors of the next Kinect have it with its own internal processor but i still can't see it not eating up resources.

at least it hopefully doesn't/cant cost them as much as shoehorning in blu-ray did? god i can't wait for solid details.

Yeah some solid details would be nice. I have yet to read any MAJOR gaming mag reporting on the whole "Used Game" thing so I think they are waiting to see if it is more than just rumors, but even at this point they should be throwing out opinions. They have done more with less in the past.

But really I don't get the whole "we are gonna make our console more powerful" when it really has no bearing on what is does as far as playing games is concerned. Unless they start opening up consoles Ahem consoles to make it so we can turn on extra video effects or something signifigant like that, there is really no point to being the "best."

I would much rather they focus on making their console easier to work with, or offering FULL backwards compatability, as opposed to giving their console some badass CPU or GPU that they can't even take full advantage of. Unless their is some distinct advantage (other than sheer bragging rights) what is the point?

But for me really all of these points will be moot if they make it so you can't play used games. I still don't see how they could ever hope to make it a reality. The two biggest retailers of games are Gamestop and Gamefly and they both base their whole companies profits on the ability to sell/rent used games. Granted both are making big pushes into the digital distribution market at present, but I know for a fact that Gamestop's profits are almost completely dependent upon their used game sales. They alone would fight MS and Sony tooth and nail, and they themselves represent the biggest contributor to the gaming market today. I just think there is tooo much money being made on used games at the present time for the industry to be able to just say "Hey no more used games!" But, honestly, stranger shit has happened.

As an aside and completely off topic....Where can I find a TV or Monitor that has a resolution HIGHER than 1080p??

Click "watch on youtube", change resolution to "original". Then let the buffering commence. That's 4K, slightly less than double 1080p. It's also a nice barometer for your computer, I'm pretty laggy here.

I'm not sure what this says about how available screen resolution is measured. Clearly our 1080p sets can do more than that, maybe it really boils down to processing speed?

rumors have been flying this last week or so, big ones apparently expected for this week. Nintendo still ranging from just beyond current gen to something past it, while MS:

VG247: Xbox 720: Blu-ray, 4-6 core CPU, '2 GPUs', Kinect as standard, net required

Update:

Re. the 'always on' internet connection Patrick Garrett of VG247 says:

I was told the always-on thing was “like Steam”. So maybe there’ll be an offline mode, or something. I was told it was a requirement, though.

Original:

Here's the link:

http://ht.ly/a1eSh

VG247 has learned that Microsoft has now detailed Xbox 720 to certain partners and has internally confirmed the machine for a Christmas 2013 release.

The next generation Xbox will have a Blu-ray drive, contrary to a recent report.

Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: “It’s like two PCs taped together.”

We’re waiting for final confirmation of specs, but the graphics cards are thought to be equivalent to AMD’s 7000 series GPUs, but “not CrossFire or SLI”. The GPUs aren’t structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up, in which the two chips take it in turns to draw lines of the same object: Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously.

Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure.

We’ve also been told that the next generation of Kinect will be built into the device as standard.

On the CPU side they mention 4-6 cores, with one reserved for the OS and one reserved for Kinect.

1) one guy in the thread called it that this might be a dev kit using dual GPU's to emulate a not-yet-produced chip, apparently the 360 did something similar, so don't count on that weird setup.

2) always-on net connection seems weird given how many play offline, but it could be a sneaky way of letting publishers block used games without paying a pass, and put the heat on them for it.

no solid word on RAM (again these/other sources are saying expect news this week) but many signs point to this one being something of a beast.

another industry guy (he's really cool too):

This is also how I interpreted it, BUT

and this is a big but

It is a Sir Mix-A-Lot sized but

That does not mean the system is a particularly huge leap over this generation. We all knew Nintendo was going to just catch up to this gen six years ago, not leapfrog it entirely. It will still be stronger than this current hardware, but stop expecting the world, guys.

I trust your info. Hearing anything on Microsoft's end? I think that is the real key here- if they don't go batshit crazy I think the Wii U will be in that sweet spot of being very easy to port to.

I have heard they are going batshit crazy.

Wait what. You really must elaborate. (please?)

They asked publishers and developers what they need in a next-gen system

EA, Activision, DICE, and Epic all insisted on raising the ceiling by what we would traditionally consider a generational leap.

Microsoft listened because they were told this would increase game sales and hardware adoption.

Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: “It’s like two PCs taped together.”

That just made me laugh, considering the 360's record at the begining of the cycle. But if the rumors about the 720's GPU and CPU (it will be 6 core they wont make it quad-core and have 2 of the 4 cores dedicated) are true, it will truly be a beast of a machine. Dual 7000 series Radeons?? Not in SLI config either, each one it's own dedicated GPU, now that is fucking nice.

I have high hopes for the machines and the games they will be able to play, I don't have high hopes about the way the industry is going. I don't mind an "always-on" internet connection, because my 360 and ps3 have been online since I got them. I just hope they have an offline mode in-case say my internet goes out, or my modem dies or something like that. Still waiting on the whole "Used Games" issue.

doesn't SLI or crossfire bring big big heat issues though? i know that's not the setup here, and console parts =/= PC ones, but...im still gonna assume that's a dev kit. the cost/size etc don't make sense to me when you could run 1 higher end more efficiently/prolly cheaper.

and if the last survey i saw said something north of 25% of 360s weren't ever online, it seems really weird to make that mandatory (steam way implies going online just 1x though, doesn't it?), i can't help but feel that opens the door for pubs to force linking your game to a system and pushing online/offline pass type shit. i hope i'm wrong.

i so wonder if MS will pass on the chance to demo even a prototype unit @ E3 this year and steal some of nintendo's thunder, at the risk of cannibalizing some sales. Sony i can't see it, they've go the Vita to push...either way? i'm betting this year's e3 is the best since 2005, and next year's is absolutely insane.

ps heh i kinda wish we'd measure things in duct-taped gamecube unites, like this nextbox is about 32 GCDTT. or a gillion megabits.

Well when you compare say 1.5GB cards in SLI vs. a 3GB card by itself, the 3gb card still has the same amount of heat and GPU's (in most cases) as two 1.5gb cards so that is pointless. To put it another way, right now most high end video cards are essentially two lower-end video cards put together as opposed to having just one badass card.

If they can come up with a nice single say 3gb card with only one GPU instead of combining two gpu's into a single package that will be a good way to go. But for them to potentially have two seperate GPU's, plus a 6 core CPU, plus whatever RAM (I am guessing 8-12gb) plus all the other little parts along with a spinning blu-ray (tho I think install's will most likely by partly manditory aka what the ps3 does now for some games) the heat generated will be enormous. Enough to heat a small room type of enormous.

And even though that last survey said 25% of 360's never went online, if people know they HAVE to be online to use it, the infrastructure is in place for a mandatory connection. As time goes on, more and more people will have, if not internet themselves, access to a connection. I don't think it is a good idea, but personally it really doesn't affect me as long as some sort of stipulation is put in place in case of short-term loss of internet connection.

As for MS being at E3 this year, I would highly doubt it. I think it is just too soon, and that they will probably use some other event, or even just their own platform to demo the 720 or tell specs/do a tech demo or something. You would think they might just wait until next year's E3, but I think by then Sony will be ready to start unveiling it next console and they won't want to compete. Or maybe they will want to compete so it will be fresh in people's mind when it is released tentatively xmas 2013.

Still, I think this may be the generation where I bow out of being a console owner and go strictly to computer only gaming.

man, you're shooting too high with 3GB GPU and that much RAM, i think. if we get 4GB, that'd already be an 8x leap.

and yeah, i could be wrong about e3, but if they both plan on launching by xmas 2013, it's certainly not unheard of to demo something - if even just videos of tech demos and images of a system that don't necessarily look like the final will. we'll see though, they might just wanna focus on more kinect stuff.

Well the dev's said they really wanted to push the evelope as far as generation leaps go this time, so I don't think a 2 or 3gb GPU would be completely out of the question. Honestly you could probably expect them to get two cheap ass low end 1GB gpu's, overclock them, or just write new drivers that use the GPU more efficiently, and then 8gb of some ddr3 is pretty cheap, especially if you're gonna be buying in bulk. Add a 6 core at 2-2.5ghz, throw in kinect, blu-ray and sell em brand new for $400. Especially if you don't have to worry about any of your money going to that used shit. That's so last gen.

But since I am pretty much giving up new consoles I can dream about the computer I shall build around xmas 2013. /drool

8-core 3ghz, quad-Crossfire 4gb Radoen 9000's, 24gb DDR5 Ram, and a fucking monitor that will do better than 1080p!!

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:728877" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More: <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com">GameTrailers.com</a>, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/new-consoles-mega64/728877">Mega64 - New Consoles HD</a>, <a href="http://pc.gametrailers.com/">PC Games</a>, <a href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/">PlayStation 3</a>, <a href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/">Xbox 360</a></p></div></div>

Why have backwards compatibility when you can just resell the old game? Why let people play a used game when they could just buy a new game??

And you know all of us could change all of this very easily, but all the stupid kids (and a few people on here I bet) will still be more than willing to shell out that money for a new console, just to be cool. Is it cool to be buttfucked even HARDER by corporate america? Is that really that cool? Boycott these systems for even a MONTH and they will back pedal on this shit so quick it would be laughably funny. But sadly everyone is just gonna take another cock up the ass and buy the new consoles cause they are new! And play new games! Oh shit!! Games that prolly wont even work without a patch, and you'll have to pay extra money to unlock your characters full abilities and the real ending to the game...if you don't you're a fucking loser!

I thought playing new games was the only reason people bought consoles. I don't think anyone over 15 worries much about "being cool".

I suppose we could send a message by only playing PC, then we could play all the used games we waOOooooh, wait. No...no, nevermind. The fact that PC gamres swallowed that lump and barely raised a fuss is why this is even being considered.

Yeah that started with first you needed the disc to run the game, then DRM came along, but I remember the days of lending a disc to install it, then getting the disc back and both could play the game. Granted that was a long time ago.

And I am not saying to switch to PC gaming, just wait a month before buying a new console. If everyone did that, they would revert back real quick. And PC gamers only swallowed so much. A lot of the more archaic DRM was removed because people refused to purchase the game with the DRM attached. Of course some still bought the games, but they tried to do some downright illegal type spying shit with PC DRM. Just like if BF3 was PC only, Origin would be gone by now.

But this is still mostly just rumors. Just my old man rant against new shit.

• 1 month later...

That should come standard on anything wireless that controls a larger device (tv remotes, games, blurays etc.) I get kinda scared if my controller goes missing, cause since they are so bulky, if they get lost in a couch cushion, and my fat ass sits on it the wrong way, well let's just say I'd react the same way if I had sat on the family gerbil.

Nextbox likely to have Skype integration

One particular job posting at Microsoft this week hints at the future of Skype's integration into the Xbox. Microsoft says it is "focused on enabling amazing new in-game and in-console voice and video experiences for the next generation of Xbox," indicating that the type of Skype functionality on the company's next Xbox hardware could go deeper than a separated app. It's not clear from the job posting whether existing Xbox 360 consoles will receive this type of Skype integration as the listing notes "it is time-critical given the hardware lead times involved."

Oh, you guys want news on games and stuff? I hear there will be an app for those.

DISKLESS IS DEAD BABY!!!!

Ooooh amenamen ><....

According to the Wall Street Journal, the idea of a download-only PS4 was killed because of concerns about the Internet's reliability. Connection quality varies quite a bit from country to country. Players without access to a strong connection would be unable to download games quickly. This would result in them either returning the system or simply buying fewer games - neither is an appealing scenario.

Microsoft apparently agrees with Sony's decision. The same report states that, contrary to rumors, the next Xbox will have a disk drive as well. It seems they were also concerned about relying on the Internet to deliver all of their games to consumers.

PlayStation 4 Was Almost Disc-Less

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PlayStation-4-Was-Almost-Disc-Less-43053.html

• 3 weeks later...

next gen Xbox details leaked

$299 console with Kinect 2 for 2013, Kinect Glasses augmented reality project

2z6vP.jpg

While it's clear Microsoft isn't planning to introduce its next-generation Xbox console this year, all signs indicate that a 2013 launch is in the cards. A newly leaked 56-page document sheds some light on the company's plans, for what it calls the "Xbox 720."

Alongside a promised 6x performance increase, there's also mention of true 1080p output with full 3D support and an "always on" state for the console. A slide on core hardware indicates that the next Xbox will be designed to be scalable in the number of CPU cores and their frequencies. Microsoft appears to have been debating whether to use six or eight ARM or x86 cores clocked at 2GHz each with 4GB of DDR4 memory alongside three PPC cores clocked at 3.2GHz each for backwards compatibility with existing Xbox 360 titles.

Microsoft positions its Xbox 720 as the only box needed for living room entertainment in the document, providing background recording functionality for TV content and a unified Windows 8 foundation to make it easier for application developers to build apps that target Xbox, PC, and Windows Phone.

AxVk1.jpg

Microsoft lays out a roadmap for its "Fortaleza" Kinect Glasses — which appears to be a research project the company is working on. There's little mention of the hardware involved, but the glasses appear to be Wi-Fi- or 4G-enabled and incorporate augmented reality in a way that's similar to Google's Project Glass augmented reality glasses. Described as a "breakthrough heads up and hands-free device," Kinect Glasses is marked as a 2014 product that won't launch alongside the Xbox 720 console. Microsoft doesn't provide any specifics about how the glasses will work on the Xbox, but they do appear to be designed to be mobile for use away from the console.

re: the glasses

I scoffed a bit at the google thing. I'm not walking or driving around with all kinds of wacky information being thrown at me.

NOW, for gaming purposes? In my living room? Thaaaaaat could be pretty goddamn cool.