Hondo's Bar

Penn State scandal

Panch

• 5 months later...

600069_10151098450336271_351251637_n.jpg

The shit that has come out in The Freeh Report is downright sick. These people thought about themselves and their organization's reputation over these children's safety for nearly 14 years! Death penalty to all involved... INCLUDING the football program.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I was saying before, if the only goddamn thing this institution gives two shits about is football, that hit them where it hurts and send a message. Let any sports organization know that if they want to make a calculated cost/benefit analysis as to whether it's worthwhile to cover up child rape, that there will be a tire iron and a blow torch unleashed on the only thing in the world they hold dear: statues, win statistics and football, football, football!

I want to emphasize that the rape was a crime committed by a person, but the cover-up was a crime committed by an institution.

Edited by Reverend Jax
  • Upvote 3

I am indeed biased being from PA and all but I agree with NCAA's induced apocolypse. I don't agree with everything however, but it definitely sends a message. Jo Pa turned a blind eye probably because he wanted to believe in the best in a human being he trusted foro years. I think he was lied to by a lot of important folks, including the initial investigators back in the early 2000s.

No matter what there is no excuse to hold off an investigation of this caliber for over 10 years. But These events have no impact on what happened on any football field. I don't agree with taking away a decade of wins from the most winningest coach in football, or photoshopping him out of all past photos, or taking down his statue. This man inspired superbowl winners and multiple generations for mankind. People still believe in him regardless of whatever transpired.

This was a haneous act of one man not named Joseph Paterno. I don't think he should have been the fall guy. But they needed someone big to make an example I guess. I mean, don't try to annihilate a 60 year legacy because sandusky is getting a slap on the wrist.. I still cant wrap my mind around what theyre trying to do to a man that gave his life to the school. I mean the most winningest coach was only paid $50k a year... that should speak for itself.

Edited by IceManML

But These events have no impact on what happened on any football field. I don't agree with taking away a decade of wins from the most winningest coach in football, or photoshopping him out of all past photos.

I think that the football program should be obliterated, BUT I think you are correct about the above statement.

You can't take away the past, either they won or they didn't. What the NCAA did by re-writing history was completely Orwellian.

We'll never know what Joe was told man. The feds were supposedly "investigating" anyway. Joe Paterno isn't' guilty of cover up. He's guilty of neglect. Theres a difference.

He didn't go out of his way to protect the name of his co worker. Theres no proof of that. But they fired him because he sat on his thumbs on the situation. As immature as it may be, you can tell he just didn't wanna deal with something this dark. However, last minute he states that he did his job by letting the proper authorities know; his bosses. THEY ALL KNEW. Why the hell is it his job to go to the cops when theres an entire administration that already knows of the situation???

Joe Pa did his job and focused on football because it was someone else's job to look into that situation at the time.

This guy is being ereased from history because "he could have done more". thats bullshit. There is someone being paid to handle that issue.

Edited by IceManML

this is a pretty interesting discussion. i just had one bit here:

One did the horrendous acts. The other covered up the horrendous acts. They're equal, man

nah. they're both evil/wrong but there's degrees, i don't mean to split hairs but while being complicit with such heinous acts is fucking attrocious, it's not of the same depth.

*my point is academic and not meant to be a defense of paterno.

Obviously raping a child is worse, but knowing about it, getting folks that know about it together, deciding to cover it up for the sake of football, continue to employ the monster that just continues these atrocities for FOURTEEN YEARS is right beneath raping a child.

I agree with that, however (and I firmly admit that I have not followed this at all) the actual players did not rape children nor did they know about the raping of the children, so I kind of feel like erasing their wins was kind of unfair to them seeing as they were at no point a cog in this horrible machine.

Yeah, the erasing the wins thing just strikes me as more of a petty jab than anything. Everything else (including tearing down the statue, especially that) seems fair but there's just a lot more than Joe Paterno involved with the record books. Besides, he knows he won the games, we know he won the games, what the fuck does it really do to him?