Hondo's Bar

I got to give The Asylum credit, they are taking the money they make off their mockbusters and reinvesting it into higher production value. I would not be surprised to discover one year that they actually make a mockbuster that's better than the movie it's riping off.

I don't even think it's a rip off at all, but the internet disagrees

Some people think that training young human pilots to operator gigantic bipedal robots to fight hand-to-hand with equally gigantic monstrous aliens attacking urban centers is a story. Other people think it's a genre. So you look at it and see the similarities and think 'it's a big-budget, live-action, American-made Kaiju movie,' and other people see a rip-off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought this was a lot of fun, and I don't particularly like Gullermo Del Toro. I've wanted to like this guy's movies for the longest time because he's such a smart dude, but Blade 2 and the Hellboys don't really do it for me. I wasn't realy expecting to like this but I very much did. The effects are wonderful, There's clearly a lot of practical stuff as well as CG, and the robots look old and beaten and the action is very well directed and super creative and fun. It's not too tongue in cheek and most of the characters and performances are perfect. Idris Elba is awesome, commanding, and hilarious. My only issue with it is that the main character is boring as fucking toast. My god, not only is he the whitest, blondest dude in the world, but I just forgot every word he said after he said it and could just give one fuck about him at all. Thankfully the supporting cast was very memorable; give me a movie about the Japanese girl.

I thought this was a lot of fun, and I don't particularly like Gullermo Del Toro. I've wanted to like this guy's movies for the longest time because he's such a smart dude, but Blade 2 and the Hellboys don't really do it for me.

What about Pan's Labyrinth?

Also, word is WB has been considering that white, blond boring-as-toast actor to play Flash in the Justice League. So was the character written boring, or was the actor boring?