Hondo's Bar

Oldboy US Remake

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in recent times, Let Me In gave me some faith regarding remakes, at least

Panch and I were continuing the discussion in this thread on the phone and Let Me In came up often. I can remember thinking that the remake was excellent and that it may have completely eclipsed the original, immediately after leaving the theater. I've found that in the years since (having not re-watched either in some time), my memories have coalesced into a strange quantum hybrid. When I think of the characters of Oskar/Owen and Eli/Abby I always default to the Swedish versions, but I know that I am probably remembering them in scenes with the superior cinematography of the remake.

The effort of trying to distinguish them as two distinct experiences gives me a nose bleed.

While at one point I would have heralded Let Me In as the litmus for a quality remake, the resulting cognitive entanglement that has resulted makes me second guess that assessment. If an effort to remake a film is going to be made, is it a good thing that the resultant is loyal to the point of being indistinguishable, or should it be distinct enough that both can exist and be enjoyed for their own particular merits. I think I would need to watch both versions again, but at this point I would give the edge to Let the Right One In solely on the merit of having a much better title.

edit: Good looking out Jax :p

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Oh the ending is different? Might check it out so. I never saw the point in watching it, because by all accounts it was so close to the original.

No, and I'm gonna spoiler tag this just because but feel free to read it without concern that the movie will be ruined.

The train scene happens as it did in Let the Right One In, with Abby "KISS" in morse code to Owen and him doing the same in return. Earlier in the movie we found out that Richard Jenkins' character (simply called "The Father") was a little boy just like Owen who was in love with Abby and got the same sort of treatment. This of course removes the mystery and straigth up tells us what lays in store for Owen in his future with Abby that he's basically his slave and he's going to murder for her and get old and get nothing in return. Throughout the movie, Owen has been eating "Now & Later" candies and singing song from the commercials as he does so. So right after the "KISS" from the original movie, he slices off a hunk of candy with his pocket knife and softly sings "eat some now, save some for later" as the credits roll to black. I really liked that last beat, it was a lot meaner in my opinion and fairly subtle. That was also one of the things I liked more about the remake, they actually explained the relationship between "Hakan" and Abby/Eli. The book explains in rather excrutiating detail what's going on there as well as what the deal is with the stitches and why Hakan is very obviously still alive whenever he falls out of the hospital window, the remake dealt with those things either by detail or omission (except the stitches, but no American movie is going to have balls that hefty) whereas the Swedish movie just pointed to them and said "pretty weird, huh? Well we aren't explaining it."

Eh.

Minor spoilers throughout.

I don't like how they shoehorned that extra motivation in there, that kidnapped daughter shit is kinda hacky at this point.

I had forgotten about a couple of other big Americanisms until I saw that trailer.

Sex and violence.

So here's what's gonna happen:

The sex scene(s) are gonna be all sexy and hot, instead of having the sick desperation and awkwardness that the original had.

The violent scenes, particularly One Vs. Many (the one with the hammer and the elevator that was featured prominantly in the trailer), are going to be...I don't even know how to describe it. More absolute? Less human?

What I liked about that scene in particular was how real it all seemed. It wasn't like Batman, it was like a real guy. He got tired, he missed, he made some real unprofessional clumsy moves. At the end, he's just trying to catch his breath. I loved that, and it made me identify more with him than if it had been the standard power fantasy we've grown accostumed to.

I think we'll probably see something more along the lines of Taken, where he's just a total badass.

The one change I predict that doesn't bother me is the kidnappers motivation at the end.

The reason for all of this in the original is absolutely crazy. Not like "that blew my mind" crazy, just something a crazy person would do. So the motivation ends up being "okay...this guy was just a fucking nut".

That will change. Brolin probably knocked up his sister or something. I am okay with this.

yeah if anything it looks like a cool thriller. Lots of changes are going to happen, but that trailer does a good job of possibly appealing to the original's fans, at least a little bit.

Also, I know nothing about the manga, and that still looks alot like the Korean movie, just a bit flashier in classic remake fashion. Is that still the case, the whole being adapted from the manga thing?

I don't like how they shoehorned that extra motivation in there, that kidnapped daughter shit is kinda hacky at this point.

I had forgotten about a couple of other big Americanisms until I saw that trailer.

Sex and violence.

So here's what's gonna happen:

The sex scene(s) are gonna be all sexy and hot, instead of having the sick desperation and awkwardness that the original had.

The violent scenes, particularly One Vs. Many (the one with the hammer and the elevator that was featured prominantly in the trailer), are going to be...I don't even know how to describe it. More absolute? Less human?

What I liked about that scene in particular was how real it all seemed. It wasn't like Batman, it was like a real guy. He got tired, he missed, he made some real unprofessional clumsy moves. At the end, he's just trying to catch his breath. I loved that, and it made me identify more with him than if it had been the standard power fantasy we've grown accostumed to.

I think we'll probably see something more along the lines of Taken, where he's just a total badass.

Agreed about the hacky-ness of the kidnapped daughter. Apt comparison w/ Neeson in Taken. Also agreed on the love of the hallway scene in the original film. If Spike Lee has any sense at all he will keep that same "realness" to that scene. It'll be a real dissappointment if Brolin just knocks out people w/ one or two punches Batman style. Oldboy is a flawed, imperfect, and as you put it, clumsy person and fighter. However, regarding his kidnapped daughter, here's what I hope will happen...

It'll just be a ploy, a red herring to let both Oldboy and the audience believe there's a goal for him to achieve w/ his female cohort--who will in the big twist at the end turn out to be his real daughter. The daughter on the TV could be an actress meant to throw everyone off.

The one change I predict that doesn't bother me is the kidnappers motivation at the end.

The reason for all of this in the original is absolutely crazy. Not like "that blew my mind" crazy, just something a crazy person would do. So the motivation ends up being "okay...this guy was just a fucking nut".

That will change. Brolin probably knocked up his sister or something. I am okay with this.

I keep forgetting this film is supposed to be based on the manga (which I never finished) and not the film, supposedly. So I'm not sure which you're referring to in your spoiler. But in the film...

Wasn't the main villain's motive for imprisoning Daisuke/Oldboy the fact he revealed the incestuous love affair between the villain and his sister--which led to her suicide? Losing the love of your life due to some peeping-tom gossiping seems like good motive for revenge. Granted, the villain (I forget his name) did go to, to put it mildly, extremes.