Hondo's Bar

It's a set up episode so there was a little bit of a lot of characters. Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Falcone, someone who might be the Joker, a new villain named Fish (played by Jada Pinkett), and Poison Ivy are all connected to various degrees with Montoya, Bullock, and rookie detective Jim Gordon. Some of the performances are not quite what I would hope and I really don't care for the guy playing Alfred. However, it is definitely worth watching. Looking forward to seeing where this season goes.

I really really like Donal Logue in this. I thought he gave the best performance of the cast myself. The Penguin was better than I expected also. I think I was just tired of seeing the Wayne's getting killed again (which is the most violent I've seen it happen so far). Haku's review is accurate though.

I liked Fish and Penguin the best. Jada Pinkett owned all her time on screen. Montoya and Barbara being exes is a pretty cool twist on the comics. Speaking of which, least realistic thing about this episode: hot white woman all dressed up and in heels immediately folds w/out a scintilla of vitriol to Gordon's lame last minute flake out on their evening plans. Batmite flying out of Martha Wayne's corpse singing "Anaconda" is more plausible than that shit.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 4 weeks later...

Last two episodes were the best so far. There's an episode coming up titled "Penguin's Umbrella," which I'm more excited about than I should be.

Also, the Gotham facebook page had printable Halloween masks that revealed what "future" versions of some characters looked like. Not sure how far in the future though--later this season, post-series???

• 6 months later...

One of the worst seasons of television I've ever watched in my life. And, yes, like the masochistic motherfucker I am I stayed with it. Watching. Every. Single. Episode. That'll be 22 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Will I watch a second season?

Sigh. Probably.

Masochistic, remember.

Yeah, the finale was--well, the best thing I can say is it was mediocre. Gordon's girls fighting was crazy as were machine gun wielding Selena and Penguin. The final scene was good though.

Season 1 as a whole, well it let me down in the end. I'd say S1 of The Flash and S2 of Agents of SHIELD outdid S1 of Gotham as a whole. Although, SHIELD by a narrow margin. In its defense, S1 of Gotham was originally slated for 16 episodes but FOX bumped the order up to 22 mid-season, and the writing went down a great deal in those additional episodes. I think the season as a whole had some truly great moments, especially with the Selena/Bruce/Alfred episodes. Penguin's initial rise was also great, but after he escaped that situation at the junkyard it felt like the writers were not sure what to do with him. And Fish, well...

It was clear she was supposed to die in that escape from Dolmacher's island and Jada Pinket will likely return from her trip over the wall if the money is there. Looking forward to further development in S2 with Bruce's investigation in to his parents' murders as well as what's in a pre-Batman batcave.

• 5 months later...

You know, I haven't been hating it. And I'm actually really digging that Jerome kid.

As a huge Joker fan, I'm one of those people that think that the more origin you give him, the less interesting he becomes. The Killing Joke is great and all, but I never considered that canon. BUUUUUT, the way that kid performed the character, and all that shit he was doing.... I was on board for it. He fucking nailed it. And while I know it didn't really make much sense storywise... as an alternate timeline or whatever in the DC universe, I'm kinda bummed they killed him. I did like that ending though and I gotta admit, I kinda got chills when it showed that last shot of him on the gurney with the lighting and everything. It wasn't bad.

v52WGv6.jpg

All that said, Paul Reubens as The Penguin's dad looks interesting too. I think this show would benefit more if say Bruce was a little bit older and we get to see him becoming Batman little by little, while still focusing on the GCPD instead of him being 13 and whiny.

I have to admit, I agree with most of this. However...

I don't think Jerome "nailed it." There were parts that felt forced and took me out of the story. It was all TOO fast. As slow as they're pushing Bruce's story along, they did the opposite with (maybe) Joker. When all was said and done, though, I was sad to see him go... AND I was a bit creeped out by that "end" (in a good way).

I now think that Theo Galavand (spelling) might be the actual Joker.