Hondo's Bar

Secret Wars

The NZA

^both of those are good

I never read the one where he merges with Strange, so I didn't understand the reference.

I'm honestly not sure why I even started bothering to read this. Hickman, mayhap? But I haven't read most of his Marvel stuff.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it, but it's bittersweet because I love a good alternate universe story and they're acting like I'm not gonna get anymore. Must I lose all hope for another chance at Exiles?

god I hope not

For anyone as lost as me, having not been the most diligent reader over the last couple of years I found a site which offered a 'primer' which included the last couple of issues of the original secret war, an issue of Hickman's FF run, a couple of New Avengers issues and some Ultimates/Ultimate Spiderman stuff. check out wherever piratesbay holds domain now.

Hated what I've read in the core book so far but that's mostly because I'm resistant to change.

^its housekeeping, jzas. what we're reading here isnt so much status quo as tying up some pocket dimensions/realities i guess. i'm really not expecting/hoping for whatever lies between a hard and soft reset, like DC got with new 52.

The other one is "What if The Punisher Got the Venom Symbiote" it's like the only one with a happy ending.

shit, you got an issue # for that one? wanna read that now

I'm honestly not sure why I even started bothering to read this. Hickman, mayhap? But I haven't read most of his Marvel stuff.

i don't think ive read any bad stuff from him at marvel yet: SHIELD, Secret Warriors, etc. well, maybe some forgettable big event books but, you know

A something search offers #44 as the answer to your question.

And to be honest I don't see the appeal in housekeeping anyway. I mean it's not like the multiverse is cluttered or confusing

itrying again In a less crazy world marvel would have kept variant timelines like 1616 for fun experimentation instead of creating alternate canon which DOES make things confusing. Instead my take on what I've read so far is that Battleworld will be modelled on a multi-dimensional Westeros.

Baytor made the valid point re creative accessibility- or putting all the toys in one sandbox to facilitate crossovers, but for my money I like my crossovers to start with wormholes and confusion rather than (assumedly)

submitting council plans to God-King Doom at which time he will schedule an assessor to review...

stop me if you do or don't understand my point here. Creating a beauracracy in the Marvel Universe is kind of a shitty idea, being said I'm keen to check out more Old Man Logan.

Edited by The JZA

Baytor made the valid point re creative accessibility- or putting all the toys in one sandbox to facilitate crossovers, but for my money I like my crossovers to start with wormholes and confusion rather than (assumedly)

submitting council plans to God-King Doom at which time he will schedule an assessor to review...

stop me if you do or don't understand my point here.

Which is much different from the old method of stealing/borrowing Doom's time machine when necessary.

• Upvote 1

Rytor pls.

You can tell I'm not gay by the way I insist on uncomfortable and awkward public displays of affection/full blown intercourse with women every time someone accuses me of being a homosexual. I'm not just muttering "oh yeah? Would a gay dude do this? Huh?" for the ambiance, I'm trying to make a point.

Any mention of God-king Doom is too many. Likewise, reference was made to

Thor Corps

While Millar's Marvel trilogy(OML/FF/1984) was a hot mess, I'll be interested to see how Postcode OML will eventually link up to a five hundred year old Susan Storm sending a dying planet earth(not Battleworld)'s population back in time and onto a parallel synthetic Earth created by Microsoft.

Just got my copy of SW 1 in, been holding on to 2 for a bit now so I can finally start all the damn books ive been picking up.

...bee tee dubs (btw), is Old Man Logan as good as the damn one shot I read? I hate wolverine for the most part so I missed old man logan but that SW spinoff comic was pretty legit.

Being that OML was completely stand-alone and made no reference to physical or ethereal barriers to other worlds, it's fantastic, by comparison It's tethered to other Mark Millar stuff that is still being ignored too, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

Being that OML was completely stand-alone and made no reference to physical or ethereal barriers to other worlds, it's fantastic, by comparison It's tethered to other Mark Millar stuff that is still being ignored too, apparently.

Time is not a flat circle, Jizzlers.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 10 months later...

So I finally got around to reading the 9 issues of SECRET WARS [proper] and it was pretty good. It had a bit of a Game of Thrones feel to it.

And kudos to Hickman for managing to play the long game with this story. It's, what, 3-4 years in the making since he started it in New Avengers? It's probably old news by now, but I'll spoiler these plot comments anyhow...

I knew damn near jack shit about Molecule Man, so much of his significance was lost on me past what Valeria's exposition relayed. I'll also admit the previous Secret Wars stuff was before my time, and I did a cursory web search. So I do know the Beyonder was a factor in these other events, but didn't read much more in to it than that.

I am a bit confused as to how Doom created the Black Swans pre-God Doom on Earth 616, and what their ultimate goal was. Reducing the Molecule Man in each universe somehow slowed down the incursions? Eh.

I dropped off Hickman's New Avengers around issue 20, but it was good to see his story from there culminate in that scene with the Richards clan being all happy-go-lucky cosmic overlords. I never read the Future Foundation run, so those characters being such a big part of the series was not such a highlight for me.

I liked the art Ribic did on Aaron's first run of THOR and felt like he really had some iconic panels in this run.

"You mean God..."

amwagc80lpavodpah9qe.png

That look on Reed's face is just perfection. Ditto for capturing the grotesqueness and sadness of Doom's face under the mask...

secret-wars-doom-profile.jpg?w=617&h=481

The only other Secret Wars tie-in I read was OLD MAN LOGAN, and I really enjoyed that. There are so many spinoffs and tie-ins that I'm not sure where to start next. Anyone out there actually read these and have suggestions?

Regarding OML:

I'm assuming there's a story out there explaining how She-Hulk wound up in the Deadlands. Anyone know what title it's under [Alpha Flight I'm guessing from covers?] and if it's worth the read?

Yeah, Millar's Marvel trilogy made up of OML, 1985 and a really, really mediocre Fantastic Four run all fed into eachother.

I forgot about 1985--should I read that miniseries then? Secret Wars was Hickman's thing, but wasn't 1985 about Doom? Curious if they tie in somehow...

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Upvote 1

good post - honestly, OML is one of the better event books that i read. civil war & a few others were totally forgettable...x-men '92 might be worth it if you've missed that lineup like i have, it's also an ongoing book currently.

JZA's a millar fan...that FF stuff with DOOM's mentor was interesting but like most millar reads, kinda fizzled out for me. 1985 was a fun mini for what it was that i only just now remembered from that quote, so take from that what you will.

yeah, coming off original sin (which i didn't really enjoy, but am still dying to know what fury said to thor that made him feel "unworthy") i ended up really digging this book, i can see what you're saying about the GoT feel. for me, your highlights with Reed/doom were spot-on, but i was also all about the final illuminati stuff, panther's clan disowning him for not pulling the trigger, strange showing just how much he'd sold of his soul to save everything, panther taking his vengeance on namor, and man, that scene when namor comes crawling to castle latveria to beg for doom's help after teaming up with thanos & co, his whole "doom is no man's second option." was great