Hondo's Bar

Avengers: Infinity War

Predictions on the next one?

I'm glad we inly have to wait a year. I thought we had to wait 2.

Surely they'll cook up something a little more exciting than "steal the time stone" or something right? Also wondering why Hawkeye's scene(s) didnt make it in. I remember them kind of playing him up to be important. I'm guessing we see his family disintegrated (along with Antman's associates in his next movie come this summer)

It's hard to oick a favorite moment for me but

Bucky picking up Rocket while he keeps yelling "GET SOME" is definitely up there

I saw it again today in Imax and certain moment were even more powerful because I saw them coming.

I got chills when Thanos snapped his fingers this time

. Fun audience too, but they cheered at a little to much. 

YOU CANT CHEER OR CLAP TOO MUCH AXELS

and yeah, very glad to learn it's 1 year and not 2

so hawkeye did have a scene, then?  i mean fuck, we literally don't know who of those guys yet lives

also newt & panch were arguing last night over if valkyrie died off screen, since thor may be the only one who can survive in space 

im betting on the time stone but also hope it's more creative - also, does anyone think the reset button will fix those who died before the purge?  loki, heimdall, gamora etc?  

forgot of i said so last night, but: i really dig thanos as a villian in the books, but making him less somewhere between DOOM and carnage and more motivated like magneto made for a really compelling villain.  he had a plan & saw it through, overcoming every obstacle while still letting things play out enough to justify moments of hope from the heroes when, again, realistically the fight was lost around when he got the reality stone 

oh yeah, and fuck starlord.  dumbass

there's something i really loved about this movie, and i think i can kinda talk around specifics but if i don't, feel free to spoiler-tag it or tell me to do so

so, phase 1 & 2 avengers stuff was a lot like kirby & lee's template: you had the biggest characters back then (thor, cap, iron man, hulk) and toss em into their own book to handle threats too large for them individually, right?  i read lee thought this was insane (you could be cutting into the sales of the individual titles, by giving them all away in one book!), but as i recall it, kirby said fans of those characters could follow them in their solo adventures and still enjoy the team efforts.  

that's what the movies did, establishing them beforehand - it's what DC left out, skipping over the many missteps & banking on the strength of the brand: these characters are so beloved, even this mediocre iteration of them will work.  clearly it didn't, but i'm not saying anything new here.   this part's been talked about a lot.

but what really stood out for me here, as a huge marvel zombie growing up, was the interactions of the shared universe.  when panch got me collecting comics in the early 90's, i was reading mostly spider-man and x-men, like most everybody else then - and big events like Onslaught were so cool cause you just didn't see the avengers cross it up with xavier's team much (bloodties was its own thing).  here was cap & wolverine arguing over whether it was responsible or not to have an unchecked powerhouse like x-man around, thor was sizing up colossus, it was just cool.  later on when all hell broke loose, spidey was trying to handle sentinels in NY city with a little help from storm & others.  i was buying like every book - not just for the overall battle, but seeing some of my favorites battle, team-up or just interact, i loved it.  

this movie completely got that: there was no characterization to be made here, we hit the ground running & the crisis was so big, there was barely time for intros, but it was just badass seeing who got along, who didn't, and all of it.  better still, it gave weight to huge fight scenes - i remember watching the later part of x-men 3 (ugh) and it was just like watching someone play ultimate alliance, everyone was fighting but i didn't care.  even the team-up moves fell flat.  compare that with

strange, spidey, stark, drax & co coordinating to keep thanos off balance

-  i wasn't just really into the fight choreography, i was floored by watching powers used in combinations you just don't get outside of the books.  

everyone's (rightfully) on about how awesome it was to balance such a huge ensemble cast, but i just can't get over how much they were able to lift right off the page.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You nailed exactly why the Bucky/Rocket teamup was pretty much my favorite moment in the movie.

Hell, Wakanda in general. Not alot of time for intros, and Cap just taking it at face value that he is talking to a tree. It feels like it paves the way for actual Marvel Team-Up movies (being in the title) in place of true numbered sequels. Well, Thor Ragnarok may have actually done that.

jesus christ

thanos gave hulk that work, and hulk had no answers for it - power stone or not, you really see where a millennia of fighting experience gets you vs throwing haymakers (like the fight with thor, but more brutal & on his power level)

no wonder he was scared the rest of the film

So Joel was officially the first person to throw up a specific spoiler for infinity war on my section of social media. 

That being said I consider any dissipation meme spoilerish. 

Now that some folks have seen the flick I can elaborate. 

holy shit,  what a bloody film.  More than makes up for what I found lacking in civil war. 

I was talking to a mate about a mock-up movie schedule he found that included thunderbolts and thought,  how good would a thunderbolts intro story(villains capitalising on a complete absence of heroes by pretending to be heroes)  but executed in the style of superior foes of Spiderman- set in between infinity wars as a palate cleanser?

damn, i'd be down but

how would you work around zemo already being used/locked up? i don't expect you can pull off the bait-and-switch the book did in a film, but it feels like a bummer leaving out the OG team

also

9jg5uandp6v01.jpg

6 hours ago, The NZA said:

Hide contents

how would you work around zemo already being used/locked up? i don't expect you can pull off the bait-and-switch the book did in a film, but it feels like a bummer leaving out the OG team

(this really has bugger all to do with infinity war so I'll ditch spoilers so we're not catfishing people into thinking we're discussing anything relevant) 

Zemo is only imprisoned.  There's escape or even release for services rendered.  Sure suicide squad is still fresh in everyone's mind but a govt sponsored super team made up to look like an anti-reg(or sorkovian accord)  bunch of rag taggers not only echos themes and allusions to the secret empire from age of ultron and winter soldier.  

But that defeats my intention to lighten things up.  Taika Waititi on a superior foes movie,  any time would be a solid gold hit.  Hopefully Ant Man fills that purpose. 

Yeah, Zemo's the wrong fit for a Thunderbolts movie but Justin Hammer and Abomination are still floating around the MCU.  Throw in Bokeem Woodbine's Shocker, Batroc the Leaper, Ulysses Klaue, and some originals and you got yourself a stew.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Andy Serkis' Klaue was awesome! Watching him was fun as hell and he floored me with his lines of 'could have put it in a fancy suitcase but I thought I'd save myself some money' when pulling out a phallic shaped piece of Vibranium from his pants that was simply wrapped in paper and when he cackled 'I made it rain!' like a psychotically happy toddler after accidentally exploding a safe full of cash sending the money everywhere. I'd definitely like to see more of that character as comedy relief in a Suicide Squad type film.

Spoiler

Klaue being dead by the end of Black Panther would necessitate it being a prequel, pre-dusting of the MCU, like the new Captain Marvel film, I hear there might be other prequels too... damn, when did the 90s become the distant past... fuck I feel old.

"Avengers 4 doesn’t do what you think it does." IW Writers discuss ending and what's next (SPOILERS)

On including the snap:

On certain major characters getting less spotlight:

On a change Gunn and Chris Pratt fought for:

On how certain characters that died have upcoming announced movies:

On the idea of A4 'fixing' everything: (Edit: Possibly primarily referring to Loki/Heimdall/Gamora/Vision?)

On the movies between Avengers 3 and 4: