Hondo's Bar

Thor: Ragnarok

• 2 months later...

This was really fun. I don't get when people *coughDCFANBOYScough* complain the Marvel movies are too silly/have too much humor. It really works here. I mean it would be a waste to have Hemsworth's boyish charm, Hiddleston's dry wit and Jeff fucking Goldblum and not use them to their full potential! I think the tone was perfect. Music (even the classic rock songs that usually annoy me) was well-placed. I loved the new (to me) characters. Can't find too much fault with it. If I had to nitpick, I did feel like it was lacking a little urgency, but was still an exciting ride! 

Wow! What an incredibly enjoyable film. I feel like this is the MCU version of a well-earned ice cream treat (Or whatever sort of desert you might enjoy if you’re lactose intolerant) . Allow me to briefly elaborate on that analogy. If you have been a fan of the MCU and saw all the films up until now, ate every bit the MCU has thrown out at you over the past decade, then Ragnarok rewarded your loyalty and investment with these characters in a big way. Despite the overall humerous tone some really huge, MCU altering events occur.

All the little in-jokes and pieces of dialogue that relate to past MCU events and characters sprinkled in amongst the new characters in worlds was just blended perfectly in opinion. Granted, most of Hela’s origin and motivation was given in exposition, however, Kate Blanchett was just chewing up the scenery so well and in such a completely kick ass costume that I really didn’t give a fuck that her character wasn’t better fleshed out. Even Skurge had a great little character arc.

Donutella is right in that despite big stakes for Thor, the humor undercut the film’s sense of urgency.  But again, you’re having so much fun watching these characters that you really don’t mind. Or at least I didn’t.

And is it just me, or is anyone else planning on seeing this again while it’s in theaters? I saw it in IMAX, and  I will probably be going back to catch it in 3-D. 

Comic and film spoilers

I like how this was a mash up of two of my favorite runs from the Marvel Comics in recent memory, although Planet Hulk isn’t so recent. The other is the current Jason Aaron run on Thor. The way it happened is different than it went down the comics, but Asgard fell, Thor lost a  major body part (in the film and I and the Comics I believe he still has both of his eyes but he has lost an arm), Odin is dead (or should I say “dead”), Loki and Thor’s relationship was pitch perfect, and they even managed to squeeze in a tiny bit of pathos for Banner/Hulk. The Sakaar stuff was way different than the comics, but a halfway decent animated adaptation  was done a while back, and we did see Korg play a major role in the film, so I won’t hate on it.

Minor(?) nitpicks on the film.

Ragnarok had absolutely zero respect for previous Thor secondary characters. Jane Foster got a short mention, but the rest of Team Mew Mew got no love.

And speaking of no love, the Warriors Three are mowed down unceremoniously from the start.  I’m guessing it’s a good thing the actress who plays Lady SIF had scheduling conflicts and couldn’t be in the movie or else she would be dead as well. I’m hoping she was just away from Asgard and can show up again in Infinity War. Valkyrie was such a great new character  that I don’t consider Sif’s absence a major flaw, but she could have at least gotten a mention.

Too little Banner/Hulk.  I’m not sure how you would’ve put more of them in there with the film already so jampacked, but I still would’ve liked more. I guess it’s too much to hope that a standalone Hulk film will happen that could explore his two years on Sakaar. Ah well.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Ryan, as usual, this my opinion of this movie is dead wrong and I think he's a fool. But, hey, opinion are like assholes, right?

Thor is more comical. I like it...but I have difficulty pinpointing the evolution. The music is growing on me. I didn't like the first half hour though. The scene with Odin and Loki just felt too abrupt and not organic. And last qualm, am I the only one who felt like I was watching two different movies? One dealing with Hela and one dealing with Thor's issue on the gladiator planet?

So, not the best film I've ever seen, but fun and enjoyable. Would definitely watch again

Just got back from this, and yeah, "fun" is the perfect word for it.

Man, Marvel can do no wrong. They're, like, fuck it, make Thor 3 a comedy and we're all fine with it. Gonna suck when Justice League comes out in two weeks and it feels forced. They just don't have the credit in the bank that Marvel does. Also, can't wait for Black Panther (whose trailer ran with Ragnarok). I'm sure there'll be comedy, but way less than this. "Fucking badass" will be what people say. Marvel is doing whatever the fuck they want and I love it!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, FireDownBelow said:

And last qualm, am I the only one who felt like I was watching two different movies? One dealing with Hela and one dealing with Thor's issue on the gladiator planet?

Yes! This is what I was getting at as well when I said the movie lacked urgency.

We have Hela, who we're told gets more powerful every day she's on Asgard, and then Thor is on Planet Goldblum for seemingly forever, and there doesn't seem to be any rush (plot-wise) to get him back. Even though each step he's taking there is to eventually return and do battle, we just kinda hang around the house a bit. And although it's fun and we need some time to develop new characters, it stalls the story completely.

Such a great film. Everything about it from fan service to soundtrack to performances, on point. The single gripe I had was that I felt like Korg was slightly overused. 

Sure he's keeping things light but given the gravity of the Hela part of the story, they might have let the odd moment of doom land before Korg comes in all disarming and bringing the mood back to the default of irreverent comedy.

More like this plz.

Vox: Marvel has a villain problem. Thor: Ragnarok is a textbook example

i know this is a common knock on MCU, but i thought Vulture and Ego were both solid.  Blanchett tore it up here, but yeah, she wasn't given enough time to develop & was treated more like a force than a proper villain i guess.  still, the movie was awesome. 

On 11/9/2017 at 1:38 AM, Axels said:

Hide contents

She IS a goddess. I don't see why they can't pull the comic book death here and just bring her back. A common theory I've seen is that she might be Thanos' Death that he fauns over. Not too crazy to do that.

Huh. I never thought of that, but it makes sense. I actually kinda like it for the MCU better than the purple robed comic version.

And this reminds me of maybe my favorite line from Hela in the film, "Fake!"

• 8 months later...