Hondo's Bar

Thor: Ragnarok

So... Is this supposed to be the MCU's Planet Hulk, Sakaar?... well, Guardians did have Sakaaran mercenaries working for Ronan the Accuser...

Never mind, read the Wiki.

Goldblum is another Elder, which explains why he looks like The Collector... and he rules Sakaar... wonder if we'll get the rest of the Warbound?

Edited by Drifter

Dammit, I can't find the article I was reading yesterday but it was something basically along the lines of: The new Thor trailer shows that Marvel doesn't give a shit about expectations (ie: maintaining the status quo) and that's why they are working so much better than DC (who in their opinion was way too focused on trying to make a "thing" happen, that's not working for them).

While I'm not ALL about just blanket shitting on DC, they had a pretty strong point. This trailer ISN'T what we were expecting AT ALL, and that's what makes it work. Marvel/Disney is keeping the superhero genre fresh (even if it did feel a little guardians, which lets me honest here - there's WORST shit you could pull from).

..yep, day one must see.

See at first I thought it was that too. I was like, oh it's the whole classic rock thing but really more so, it's just the whole tone of the damn thing. Even though Thor has always explained away magic as tech we don't understand, it always felt like it was still trying to be very rooted in this D&D campaign that maybe had tech once in a while in it.

This trailer was like, nah we're going full Far Cry: Blood Dragon and we give 0 fucks. Spaceships all over, aliens, fuck it.

Yeah but if you look carefully all the SciFi stuff is confined to the gladiator planet Thor's stuck on. Everything else is still swords and spears and the usual, I suspect that ACT 2 is where all the space stuff will be taking place and the rest will be very much in the same vane as previous fare. I've heard the new "tone" both praised and decryed but the trailer literally has one joke in it and jokes aren't new to Marvel movies, particularly Thor movies. So far the only major difference I see here is a change of scenery, and that's fine because people are pretty unfair to the Thor movies (mostly because they have the shittiest villains in the series, Loki doesn't count.) I'm sure Taika Waititi will bring his own comedic flair to the movie but this isn't quite the dramatic shift in style in tone of say a Wolverine solo movie. This is still gonna be great, it's just not going to be Guardians 2.5.

Well, The Collector fro GotG and Goldblum's character are literal bros so that's probably whey they look and dress the same, which really adds to the Guardian's feel. Also, if they're not going into detail about the Hulk's story of how he got to the gladiator planet of Sakaar, then this could be considered the MCU's Planet Hulk storyline pushed into the background of the Ragnarok plot; fans can then be tickled by not one but two comic book plots occurring simultaneously. And, in the animated version of Planet Hulk he faced off with the horse-faced Thor clone Beta Ray Bill, because they couldn't get the rights to the Silver Surfer who was in the comic... so Thor could be a stand-in for his stand-in that was a stand-in... whoa, meta.

Edited by Drifter

Not really, Loki is never actually the villain even when he's the villain, so like I said he doesn't count. And I guarantee that the Grandmaster doesn't have a terribly large part to play in this movie, so Hela is the only true villain of the piece. And they'll have plenty of room for all the new characters since it would appear none of Thor's earthbound supporting cast are appearing and his Asgardian pals (with the exception of Heimdal, apparently) don't look to be making much of an appearance.

I've said this before: HULK is gonna be the stand in for the stand in. This is essentially World War Thor. They're flipping the whole thing. Which I think is brilliant.

Bonus if GotG end up being in the arena audience...Rocket sitting on Groot's head, trying to look past someone's giant head sitting in front of him. "I told you guys we should've gotten better seats!"

Let's be honest though, the only reason you're getting a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe is because aliens/space + classic rock.

LOL - and actual color! GotG probably has the most colorful palette in the entire MCU. Thor, Asgard and all that Rainbow Road bidness - fits the cosmos that GotG established. Thor feels at home in that colorful 'GotG universe'. I don't need the classic rock soundtrack in the movie...I hope they keep that a Starlord thing.

I hope somehow they touch on and we get a closer look at that army of Chitauri(?)

I'm just glad they are embracing big loveable dumb Thor rather than dumb gruff Thor.

Hmmm...I didn't get that - on Earth, his schtick is 'ignorant / dumb'...on 'homebase', in space, I get 'gruff...jock'. LOL - I hope they don't go 'dumb' w/ him out in the cosmos / his own turf.

Was the hooded guy from Avengers that Ronan killed in Guardians of the Galaxy not Corvus?

You know I didn't think about that tbh. I'm barely familiar with the Black Order (via the Future Fight game). As much as I was obsessed with the Infinity Gauntlet series growing up in the 90s, I missed out on the later stuff that established them. I just know there was those shots of a live action actor playing Corvus, so you might actually be right and they just used the CGI in GoG to fill the space until he was cast.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...