Hondo's Bar

Thor: Ragnarok

• 11 months later...

Hulk team up happening!

The story first broke at JoBlo earlier this week, and now it seems the Thor: Ragnarok Hulk rumors are true! Various trade sites are confirming today that Marvel Studios is close to locking Mark Ruffalo for the “Phase Three” appearance.

According to the earlier reports, the Hulk will team up with Thor in the God of Thunder’s third solo film. The story will reportedly center on a “distant planet” that is “not Asgard and not Earth.” It’s unclear what this planet might be in the context of the film, although the constant rumors (amid denials) of a Planet Hulk film are likely to feed into fan speculation.

Thor: Ragnarok will close out the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Asgardian trilogy. It features a screenplay by Christopher Yost (Thor: The Dark World) and Craig Kyle (producer on previous two Thor films), and will continue the cliffhanger ending of Thor: The Dark World wherein it was revealed that Loki (Tom Hiddleston) has secretly taken the Asgardian throne in guise of his adoptive father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins).

Before appearing in Ragnarok Hulk star Mark Ruffalo will reprise his role as Dylan Rhodes in director Jon M. Chu’s Now You See Me: The Second Act. Also set to star Woody Harrelson, Daniel Radcliffe, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Jesse Eisenberg, Jay Chou, Lizzy Caplan and Dave Franco, the Now You See Me sequel hits the big screen June 10, 2016.

Flight of the Conchords and What We Do in the Shadows helmer Taika Waititi is in negotiations to direct the upcoming film.

Marvel Studios will release Thor: Ragnarok on November 3, 2017 in 3D/2D theaters and IMAX.

Are you excited about the Thor: Ragnarok Hulk addition? How do you think Bruce Banner will tie into the film’s storyline? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

I'm pretty excited about Taika Waititi directing also. I love just about everything he's done. Marvel seems to have a lot of luck with the comedy directors.

• 3 months later...

Holy fuck! "We Come In Shadows"'s Taika Waititi is directing Thor Ragnarok? My interest just rose dramatically.

Taika Waititi On The "Wacky" Humor Of THOR: RAGNAROK

130520.jpg

The What We Do In The Shadows director speaks about the specific brand of humor he plans on bringing to Marvel's Thor threequel, and also confirms that the movie will shoot down under this year.

130520.jpg

There are quite a few fans that aren't partial to the comedic elements Marvel tends to inject into their movies, but from the sounds of things Thor: Ragnarok is not going to break tradition in that regard - though we can probably expect slightly a different brand of humor, at least.

Star Mark Ruffalo (Hulk/Bruce Banner) has already compared the threequel to classic '80s buddy comedy Midnight Run, and when Collider mentioned this to Taika Waititi in a new interview, the What We Do In The Shadows director elaborated on his plans to being his own brand of humor to the MCU and gives the hilarious Hulk/Loki scene from Avengers a mention while he's at it.

"I love that one moment in Avengers when Hulk grabs Loki and rag dolls him. It lends itself to great humor, do you read those comic books? They’re wacky. They’re crazy. I think that‘s exactly what they need, to keep changing it up. They’ve got their dark films, some are more serious, and I think it’s great that they’re mixing it up. I really want to inject my style of humor into this."

When asked if he's been studying past Marvel flicks in order to ensure he's able to bring something fresh to the table, Waititi commends the studio on managing to exceed expectations by constantly evolving and changing things up to come up with the best story.

I’ve learned that there are really no rules. There’s no road map. They’re very similar to Pixar in that way. They are constantly looking for the best story, they’ll tear everything down to rebuild it to make sure they have the best story. That’s why Marvel is good they keep pushing and pushing and trying to get the best thing possible. That’s what I’ve discovered the way things have changed.

Though some would argue that Marvel still sticks to a pretty rigid formula in many ways, it's impossible to argue with their success, and it sounds like they're giving Waititi plenty of room to develop his own vision, at least.

The director also confirms that Thor: Ragnarok will shoot "sometime this year" in Australia. More at the link below.

Mark Ruffalo: 'HULK' Arc In THOR: RAGNAROK And INFINITY WAR “Will Feel Like A Solo Movie”

130500.jpg

Before sharing thoughts on Joss Whedon leaving the MCU, Ruffalo talks enthusiastically about returning as Bruce Banner in Thor: Ragnarok andInfinity War, with new directors at the helm.

24295461449_cef99ed808_b.jpg

As recent rumors suggest that Thor: Ragnarok will be partially based on the Planet Hulk/ World War Hulk storyline(s) from the comics, Mark Ruffalo has continued to tease his return as the Jade Giant not just in 2017 Marvel threequel, but also in the highly-anticipated two-part Avengers: Infinity War event. When Yahoo caught up with the three-time Academy Award-nominated actor at the Sundance Film Festival, the site had first asked about another solo Incredible Hulk movie which Ruffalo reassures isn’t happening.

“I’d love to do a Hulk movie, but that’s beyond my control,” Ruffalo explained. “It’s controlled by Universal [Pictures]. Marvel doesn’t even hold the rights to it. So, it’s not on the horizon. And I don’t know if it will be. But we have worked a really interesting arc into Thor 3, Avengers 3 and 4 for Banner that I think will – when it’s all added up – will feel like a Hulk movie, a standalone movie.” From this, it’s safer to say that the Incredible Hulk will appear in both Avengers: Infinity War movies, and that the studio already knows what is in store for Bruce Banner and his alter-ego. And with this character arc spanning three films, that sounds about right for a Planet Hulk/ World War Hulk adaptation.

When asked about his preparation for Thor: Ragnarok, which starts shooting in Australia this summer, Ruffalo said he’s not trying to get as fit as leading man Chris Hemsworth, but he is very enthusiastic about working with the director. “Taika Waititi’s coming in and I love him,” Mark fessed. “That’s a surprise and it fits part of this Marvel doing the unexpected, casting the unexpected, and now bringing in the unexpected for writer and director. I’m really interested in where that’s going. They’re writing the script now. I am thinking about it, I’m doing script meetings and stuff so we’re starting to prep it.”

During this very interview, Mark Ruffalo had also reflected on Avengers: Age of Ultron and how it was probably the last time that he’d be working with writer/director Joss Whedon on a Marvel movie. “Yeah, he basically told me it was [his last one] and I was like ‘goddamn it, you dragged me in to this world and now you’re abandoning me here!’” said Ruffalo of Whedon. “But they’re doing fine. Joss’ll do fine. I just miss him, and I will miss him. He cracked this character, he obviously cracked the Avengers which was nearly impossible. It was a miracle and he did it so beautifully.” However, the actor is still very much looking forward to playing the Hulk under someone else’s direction. And after Taika Waititi, it’ll be with Joe and Anthony Russo, who are helming Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War. “I think the Russo brothers are great and I think they’re well positioned to take it on, and I’m happy to be doing it with them, but I’m friends with Joss,” he reassured. “He had a hard time making the first one and he had a hard time making this one. I think it’s partially the nature of that beast.” What do you think?

• 3 months later...

And the good news just keeps on coming...

Marvel Confirms Natalie Portman Not In THOR: RAGNAROK; 80-90% Of Film In The Other 8 Realms

141649.jpg

Kevin Feige confirms that Natalie Portman will not be featured in Thor: Ragnarok and says 80-90% of the film "takes place in the cosmos." However, there are still a few scenes on Earth Midgard.

Thor-Jane-thor-and-jane-35305092-894-398.png

A guest on the Empire Film Podcast, Kevin Feige confirmed that Natalie Portman will not be reprising her role as Jane Foster in Thor: Ragnarok. When asked, Feige affirmed, “I can confirm that, yes.” Feige naturally remained vague on the exact reason why, but did concede, “Many reasons [why]. Many of which are in the film so you will see that. There are only a couple of scenes on Earth in this movie. 80 to 90 percent takes place in the cosmos.”

The Hollywood Reporter first revealed word last April, that Portman might not return when they broke the casting story that Tessa Thompson was in talks to join the Marvel franchise's third film as a new love-interest for Chris Hemsworth's Thor.

Perhaps what's most interesting is the exact wording used by Kevin Feige. His remarks imply that there are some reasons outside of the film's plot that factor into Portman not returning. When examined with regards to previous rumors that Portman and Marvel Studios have had a falling out over various issues including Patty Jenkins' departure from Thor: The Dark World, it would seem there are larger issues in play other than Ragnarok's plot.

No Portman and no Dennings makes ASC...something something something something....

Enjoy a Thor movie?

Don't mind if I do.

fou.gif

Edited by alive she cried

I searched for Darcy's funniest moments on Youtube, but it seems to agree with me that there weren't any. This is the only clip under ten minutes that illustrates her God awfulness (and I am not watching ten minutes of non Loki Thor: The Dark World scenes if I don't have to).

Edited by alive she cried

New casting and concept art

Two-time Oscar®-winner Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine,” “Carol, “Cinderella”) joins Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok” as the mysterious and powerful new villain Hela, along with Jeff Goldblum (the upcoming “Independence Day: Resurgence,” “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “Jurassic Park”) who joins the cast as the eccentric Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson (“Creed,” “Selma”) who will bring the classic hero Valkyrie to life on the big screen, and Karl Urban (“Star Trek” trilogy, “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”) who will add his might to the fray as Skurge.

ZygXEZo.jpg

You had me at Goldblum

Edited by Axels

i like a lotta those names, and if we're finishing out Thor's story, might as well be a kitchen sink approach i guess!

little bummed the title card won't be from Simonson's great run on the book, but i guess it would've been tricky getting someone younger than sarah jessica parker for beta ray bill anyway

You guys think Jane Foster is done? How can you not understand trickery after all these years of dealing with Loki?

All this stuff about Portman not coming back is a ruse. After Thor dies, the post credit scene will be her finding Mjolnir.

Kate Blanchett as a Marvel villain and Jeff Goldblum as an eccentric?! Awww, hell yeah! Super-pumped! Also, cool Life Aquatic reunion.

I wouldn't mind Portman and Dennings being in it. For continuity-sake and to be a part of the total wrap-up of the Thor cinematic venture.

Oy - seeing more of Darcy gets two large votes from me.

SlUgPiO.gif

I dug the mispronunciation running-gag w/ Mee-yol-ner? M-jol-ner? (shrugs) Yo momma.

You guys think Jane Foster is done? How can you not understand trickery after all these years of dealing with Loki?

All this stuff about Portman Jane Foster not coming back is a ruse. After Thor dies, the post credit scene will be her finding Mjolnir Mew Mew.

thumb.jpg

Even more likely it'll be someone new, taller, and younger cast as Jane Foster. Gotta think a decade ahead into Marvel Studios Phase VII.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Embed disabled

Clip from comic con or something?

https://www.youtube....h?v=Q_cK_4jNZ-g

If that's a fake, it's a damn good one. The no sound seems like a red flag though.

Agreed, it looks legit, but I wonder how could it have been up since December and not get taken down by Marvel? What's even more disturbing is that it took this long to get to Hondos. Well, maybe not with all the BvS & Civil War chatter going on. Oh, and there is sound, but it's very, very faint until the credits roll and the crowd cheers. I'm also wondering if this film will occur at the same time as Civil War and explain why Hulk & Thor were absent from the fracas.

• 1 month later...

Hulk's gladiator gear revealed

179967-drax-the-destroyer-behold-gif-QmYG.gif

thor-ragnorak-planet-hulk-social-image.jpg

I'm excited for the prospect of Hulk getting a chunk of screentime here, but it would kinda suck if they gave Thor the shaft just to sneak in Planet Hulk. It'll probably just be a scene or something that they have to do to get off of a planet though I imagine. Either way, this should be entertaining.

Edited by Axels

No way, this is gonna awesome! And I hope they get equal screen time. It'll just be a role-reversal. Loki will be the dictator king, of course. Hulk will play the Silver Surfer's role. The other gods will be the Warbound. And Thor will play Hulk's role. It'll be Planet Hulk, but not. All bases covered. Can't fucking wait!