Hondo's Bar

Suicide Squad

Keth

See, while I agree that the editing was fairly messy on the film, it absolutely nailed the main characters and the performances just elevated it. That's my main takeaway, the rest was fairly boilerplate, but Suicide Squad has never really been about its overarching plot, it's been about the misfits on the team, and Deadshot, Harley, Diablo, and Boomerang all stood out. The others got less time, and I would have liked a few more scenes with them, but that wasn't a deal breaker either. Beyond that, the dialogue was often funny, with a few misses here or there, the use of cameos was perfect, and it had some stand out scenes like

The bar conversation, Harley jumping into the acid, Waller straight out killing the FBI agents, the Deadshot flashback, Deadshot just owning the monsters,

just worked on a bunch of levels.

It's not a top tier masterpiece like Dark Knight, it's not exceptional like Iron Man, MoS, or Avengers, but it is a really fun romp that doesn't deserve half the crap its getting.

Was the original team from the 50's different?

Completely. The original Suicide Squad was half a war book. Rick Flag ran a group of regular people who fought super powered threats like dinosaurs and other weird silver age shit. They were in I think a half dozen issue of The Brave and the Bold in 1959. Post Crisis, Ostrander created Amanda Waller in the Legends crossover, and along with her, he came up with the idea of "the dirty dozen with supervillains" led by Rick Flag Jr. He took B and C tier villains and a couple of heroes, and threw them together on a team, and the Task Force X incarnation was born. He's also the one who kinda set the personalities of post-crisis Boomerang and Deadshot among others. Great books BTW, especially the early ones.

Yeah, I made a ton of excuses for Spider-Man 3, too.

Except you were wrong back then.

Edited by bishopcruz

I'm gonna write a longform review but here's my gripes.

-The editing in the first third was dogshit, just the worst. I have a feeling that a lot of that was studio mandated but I'd have cut the dinner scene, gone straight to the debriefing, had Waller introduce the sqaud THERE and shown Ike Barenholtz's scene of meeting each one as it happened.

-I wouldn't have telegraphed Slipknot's death so hard. No I didn't spoiler tag it and I'm not going to because it could not be more obvious from the trailers, the opening, and that character's introduction. "This is Slipknot, he can climb anything." What a fucking waste of Adam Beach's time. I hope he got a shitload of money.

-I'd have cut a couple subplots mid-movie

I'd have removed the entire saving Amanda subplot, her being in the city had no effect on anything she could just show up after the shit's done on a helicopter or something. So they'd fight the fungus zombies in the alleyway, Joker would save Harley, and then we'd go to the bar and then on to Enchantress, would save about two minutes and tighten up the story.

-Killer Croc was great but I would have taken out the couple spots where he sounds like Kingfish. I cringed at "Ah WUZNT AXIN"

-They laid on the music cues a bit too thick and too quickly. I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool too, but calm the fuck down.

-Still not sure about Leto. Didn't hate him and any flaws in his performance were acceptable compared to Jesse Eisenberg's wrongheaded Lex Luthor but I just don't know.

My praises:

-I was really concerend that there were too many characters but they handled the balance perfectly. Amanda, Flag, Deadshot, and Harley got the big charcter beats, El Diablo had his emotional beat, Croc and Katana served the quiet badass role, and Captain Boomerang was an amusing scumbag. Perfect.

-It felt like a classic Ostrander storyline and I loved that.

-Jai Courtney, Will Smith, Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis, and Margot Robbie were all perfect. Page to screen: nailed it.

-Batman and Flash got exactly as much screen time as they needed.

-After the hodgepodge of the introduction section the movie was paced perfectly. It was too long, but paced fine.

-This movie is shot fucking magnificently.

I watched Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman a couple of weeks ago and the movies are getting better with each installment. This was a big course correction and a sign of good things to come. I'm glad this made all the money and I hope David Ayer gets that r-rated sequel he mentioned might be in the cards when Deadpool came out. This was pretty much exactly what I hoped this movie would be and while it's not perfect (I'd give it a solid B) it was very enjoyable. I liked all the characters, I was never confused, I was never bored, I didn't feel like anyone was thrown under the bus (except Adam Beach but I knew that was coming when I saw he was playing the character who "tested" the bomb implants in the comics), every character got an action or story beat, and everyone (except maybe Leto, still haven't decided) gave a great performance.This was a solid win in my book.

Edited by Iambaytor

Is reviewing a movie a spoiler now? Jesus Christ, people

No, you just mistyped your spoiler tag the first time around so none of it was hidden. NZA just threw it all under a tag because he didn't wanna read spoilers to try and figure out where you made the mistake.

Saw it. Didnt hate it. Didnt particularly like it.

Leto was Dogshit though and thats a damn shame cause were stuck with him. His scene with Ike Barinholtz was the closest I got to liking him.

All in all worth a watch though. Kinda like X-Men Apocalypse, except not as fun.

I'll like to add:

The editing in the first third was dogshit.

I agree and i still can't get over the fact that company that did the trailers did the editing for the movie.

They laid on the music cues a bit too thick and too quickly. I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool too, but calm the fuck down.

Most of the music did not fit the tone.

Loud in some spot that you couldn't hear the dialog.

Still not sure about Leto.

I didn't like him.

Joker had no business being in this movie.

I disagree on the music fitting the tone, this was not an especially dark movie beyond a few story beats, it was nearly a comedy most of the time. I don't have a problem with the music cues existing, I just think they're far too short and far too many. I never had an issue understanding dialogue over them and I'm the sort of person who always turns on subtitles cause I have trouble hearing the dialogue.

And I disagree on Joker being in the movie, he's an important part of Harley's character and his mid-movie entrance created a good character moment for both her and Deadshot. Should that whole intro shit have been in the movie? Nah, probably not, but he should've been in the movie. He had good scenes and bad scenes and I feel like I could warm up to him if he had more to do.

You need Joker in the movie if only to provide context for Harley Quinn, more than anyone else her origin is tied to another character, Her flashbacks were absolutely necessary for the character, I think they were a bit clipped, and could have used some more time to breathe.

As for Leto. I quite liked his portrayal, it's a version of Joker we haven't seen yet, Joker the gangster, which is another valid take. Hell, the club scene felt ripped right out of Azzarello's Joker book, and I really did like that interpretation.

The thing is, Joker can be so many damned things there is no ONE perfect take (though Hamil is probably the most iconic) Cesar Romero got the wacky silver age Joker down, Nicholson did the whole Clown Prince of Crime angle, and Ledger just blew me away as the cold calculating agent of Chaos with bits of Killing Joke thrown in. Leto's Joker is close to the Frank Miller and Grant Morrison Joker, brutal, obsessive, and uncomfortably sexual. He's creepy and unpredictable, and works great in the film. It's nice to have an unhinged egotistical crime boss Joker after all this time.

• 2 weeks later...

NO_zpshekcmrpd.jpg

I don't really take issue with criticizing, these "clever" videos where someone takes down a movie by pointing out every flaw and logical inconsistency are dumb, lazy, and just above screenshotting Tumblr threads on the spectrum of awful shit you see on facebook. I'm willing to look the other way when they're funny, but this one is very unfunny. You're better than this, Pancho.

And I don't think it's crap in spite of logical flaws blown massively out of proportion by people who want the world to know how cool they are for not liking a movie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Iambaytor